APC Forum

noozles rockets???

Polumna

hi dudes

i waant to know wether it is possible to create BP-rockets(sulfurless) without a noozle.

how would the rocket perform???

because i have often used rockets with noozles, but i just have CATO´S with them.

any advices on construction,etc would be great.

polumna

Uh, I think you mean nozzleless. I have my doubts about how well just KNO3/charcoal would do. it's been my experience that sulfurless black powder burns much slower. Without a nozzle I don't think it would produce enough thrust to fly very far, or even take off at all. Now if you use a hot BP(not sulfurless), it will surely work just fine in a nozzleless rocket. My 3/8 nozzleless balsa bp rockets go like mad.

I use this formula:

72 KNO3

14 charcoal

13 sulfur

1 dextrin

Wet with 25%alcohol/water and granulate through screen. When dry I press this with my 1.5ton arbor press.

Well, for true nozzleless rockets i'd really suggest the fastest ballmilled BP meal you have TBH. This is simply due to the fact that a lot of output gasses are required, especially if a payload is going to be used.

Then again, when i tried a nozzleless rocket engine with my fastest willow BP meal. Guess what? it CATOED big time!

In other words its best to maybe add some a small percentage of linseed oil to 1.slow it down a bit depending on your BP, and 2. helps to keep the BP together do to a lack of nozzle.

This seem logical to you?