APC Forum

What happens if u don't use dextrin in your black match

gun410

That's not entirely true Dag. Meal D, or the equivalent sporting powder, works just fine for making match.

Forgive my over generalizations mum, many of us can't find a BP distributor and only a few can get the real deal in Meal D, none of the sporting stores near me or Midway sell anything under FFFF. Even addictedtoblackpowder.com only offers one option Meal D nowadays and there is a 25# minimum for that. If you have another source, I'm sure we all would love to fine a place that sells it by the pound.

I've never tried it, but 4Fg and 7FA are the same particle size. They're basically de-dusted Meal D. 4Fg is probably more easily available to most than Meal D or 7FA. Not that I'd want to waste commercial BP on match, just that it's possible. I would waste it on consistent spolettes though.

Spolettes are the only thing I use commercial Meal-D for. The consistiency is well worth it to me, and a few pounds makes quite a few spolettes.

$9.00 for 1/2 pound!?!? Sheesh! Not on my watch. I got CMC for $2.00 a pound from Cracker, its $4.00 a pound now.

Gun410, please understand you're attempting to work with explosives. This is something you probably don't want to do incorrectly. Therefore, it might be wise to carefully read directions at least two sources prior to making something you are unfamiliar with.

Gun410, please understand you're attempting to work with explosives. This is something you probably don't want to do incorrectly. Therefore, it might be wise to carefully read directions at least two sources prior to making something you are unfamiliar with.

I know I also use guns and muzzaloaders so I've been by BP a lot

I know I also use guns and muzzaloaders so I've been by BP a lot

I've been driving cars for quite some time, hell, even made a living of them... I wouldn't know the first thing about how to build one. One doesn't give the other.

You need to stop acting like a spoiled brat, and start listening when people try to help you. I wouldn't risk my neck on giving you advice on actual pyro, get your mom/dad to create an account, and we can talk them through the dangers, and the processes, so that they can be the responsible adults, and supervise...

B!

Lambent there are still lots of muzzleloaders made today. In fact that's the only firearm you can buy and take home and shoot that same day.

Edited by Jakenbake

I've been driving cars for quite some time, hell, even made a living of them... I wouldn't know the first thing about how to build one. One doesn't give the other.

You need to stop acting like a spoiled brat, and start listening when people try to help you. I wouldn't risk my neck on giving you advice on actual pyro, get your mom/dad to create an account, and we can talk them through the dangers, and the processes, so that they can be the responsible adults, and supervise...

B!

Sorry I'm taking advice even tough you might not think that though

Lambent there are still lots of muzzleloaders made today. In fact that's the only firearm you can buy and take home and shoot that same day.

Never said muzzleloaders weren't being made today, I've seen many on the shelves at sporting stores. Never thought they use straight up BP lIke GOEX. Thought they would use BP substitute like Triple Seven or Pyrodex.

Maybe you should do some research as well Lambent.

Gun410, I hope you're not intending to ignore all the device. When he said "You need to stop acting like a spoiled brat, and start listening when people try to help you." I suggest you take that to heart. I'd be happy to ban you otherwise.

Seems like they still do, also didn't know Pyrodex was interchangeable for BP in firearms. Thought it was something separate. Firearms sure isn't something I'm too knowledgeable about. I've studied the basic anatomy and types of rounds in my Forensics class and I like to go to the range and also trap shoot once in a while, but that's about it.

Maybe you should do some research as well Lambent.

Gun410, I hope you're not intending to ignore all the device. When he said "You need to stop acting like a spoiled brat, and start listening when people try to help you." I suggest you take that to heart. I'd be happy to ban you otherwise.

please don't ban me I'll listen more.

Seems like they still do, also didn't know Pyrodex was interchangeable for BP in firearms. Thought it was something separate. Firearms sure isn't something I'm too knowledgeable about. I've studied the basic anatomy and types of rounds in my Forensics class and I like to go to the range and also trap shoot once in a while, but that's about it.

BP residue is very corrosive, and will damage the gun over time if you don't properly clean it after use. Pyrodex and other substitutes are not only less corrosive, but they don't pose such an explosion hazard as BP does in the open. Thus you can not use Pyrodex to lift shells.

BP residue is very corrosive, and will damage the gun over time if you don't properly clean it after use. Pyrodex and other substitutes are not only less corrosive, but they don't pose such an explosion hazard as BP does in the open. Thus you can not use Pyrodex to lift shells.

Can you use triple seven for lift

Jakenbake. this isn't completely true the laws are different depending on what state you dwell in. In my state Idaho I can buy a shotgun,rifle,handgun,muzzle loader,AR-15 or a 50 cal bmg and bring it home the same day. California has way different laws and requires a few days before you can take it home. But the fact is muzzleloaders are being made today. Please don't take this as being mean I wouldn't want that -LBK-

• Like 1

Jakenbake. this isn't completely true the laws are different depending on what state you dwell in. In my state Idaho I can buy a shotgun,rifle,handgun,muzzle loader,AR-15 or a 50 cal bmg and bring it home the same day. California has way different laws and requires a few days before you can take it home. But the fact is muzzleloaders are being made today. Please don't take this as being mean I wouldn't want that -LBK-

Another reason I gotta get out of this comi state! Thanks for the info LBK ;)

• Like 1

Can you use triple seven for lift

No, cause it's the same damn thing, made by someone else. Where is your sense of intelligence, kid? Use some proper grammar at least.

I build guitars, but I am a terrible guitar player. I wouldn't want a good guitar player to build a guitar either... it's two totally different skills.

BP subsititute has been tried by just about everyone else, from rocketry guys to firework makers and it does NOT work without extreme confinement such as inside the barrel of a gun. Firework shells fit very loosely inside the gun and therefore the confinement is somewhat low. Note that the bullet in a gun fits so tightly that it actually takes a lot of force to push a bullet (manually) through the barrel, but also the force it takes to cut rifling adds to confinement. Shotgun uses waddings that does the same thing (and shot guns are relatively low pressure).

If you build a firework shell so that the confinement is extreme, you also have to deal with higher forces on the shell, which means more flowerpot. Military pyrotechnics use smokeless powder to shoot their stuff out uses metal casing... not sure about mortar rounds however.

If you use pyrodex or any bp subsititute in a firework shell you will get a very slow burn or powders going everywhere without them burning, and the shell will either be lit inside the mortar (and explode) or it will shoot about 10 feet in the air, sit on the ground for a few seconds, and explode. You do NOT want that.

Edited by taiwanluthiers

I build guitars, but I am a terrible guitar player. I wouldn't want a good guitar player to build a guitar either... it's two totally different skills.

BP subsititute has been tried by just about everyone else, from rocketry guys to firework makers and it does NOT work without extreme confinement such as inside the barrel of a gun. Firework shells fit very loosely inside the gun and therefore the confinement is somewhat low. Note that the bullet in a gun fits so tightly that it actually takes a lot of force to push a bullet (manually) through the barrel, but also the force it takes to cut rifling adds to confinement. Shotgun uses waddings that does the same thing (and shot guns are relatively low pressure).

If you build a firework shell so that the confinement is extreme, you also have to deal with higher forces on the shell, which means more flowerpot. Military pyrotechnics use smokeless powder to shoot their stuff out uses metal casing... not sure about mortar rounds however.

If you use pyrodex or any bp subsititute in a firework shell you will get a very slow burn or powders going everywhere without them burning, and the shell will either be lit inside the mortar (and explode) or it will shoot about 10 feet in the air, sit on the ground for a few seconds, and explode. You do NOT want that.

Thanks I know its hard to push the bullet down the barrel sometimes I need my dad to do it

$9.00 for 1/2 pound!?!? Sheesh! Not on my watch. I got CMC for $2.00 a pound from Cracker, its $4.00 a pound now.

Dag - It's certainly not a good bargain, but sometimes you pay a bit more for convenience. If he only needs a small amount, ordering a pound from Cracker would cost at least $8, and with as busy as he's been lately, it might take a month to ship. :P

• Like 1