APC Forum

take your shots now..

boostedmx3

Just a dumb acronym meaning "insane black powder". It's basically black powder and flash.

Mind sharing the formula and some construction info? Those do take off like a bullet. Is it basically BP with dark aluminum added?

made my first batch of 50/50 kno3 and sugar mixed up a pound of each..

not quite as thick as i would like and burned a lil fast but it worked.. next batch will get some baking soda added to slow it down a bit.. any tips on making the smoke thicker?

Thanks!

Boosted, try adding wax to the mix to get it thicker. Somehow it got the name legendary smoke mix if you want to look up the ratios.

You can also try adding a central core and even some narrower cores around the central core. This will get more of the comp burnt in less amount of time. So it makes the smoke thicker because it's pumping out the smoke faster.

Sorry for hijacking your thread boosted... just complain if it gets annoying.

Fla,

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/679-please-post-videos-if-you-got-em/?p=119821

no problem.. been on the forums for a long time with cars and what not. Ive learned a lot from ppl just hijacking lol. i read everything i can

Thanks!

Boosted, try adding wax to the mix to get it thicker. Somehow it got the name legendary smoke mix if you want to look up the ratios.

You can also try adding a central core and even some narrower cores around the central core. This will get more of the comp burnt in less amount of time. So it makes the smoke thicker because it's pumping out the smoke faster.

like melting a candle in with the sugar??

i basically melted a pound of powdered sugar till it was all liquid and then turned the flame off and added the kno3 and mixed it in till there was no white left.. then turned the heat back on real low to keep it liquified while i filled my tubes. I prepared the tubes before hand by pounding some bent. in the bottom. after filling them each up i put fuses in, half red visco and half green crackling fish fuse. after inserting the fuse most of them sank in a lil and i was able to top off with more comp.

still waiting on them to fully dry as the one i lit was about 30 min after i made it and it was still wet

also what do you mean by adding a core?? have a link or what should i search?

Edited by boostedmx3

just made my first batch of BP..

used pyrochem source sulfur and charcoal and the KNO3 came from a forum member.

weighed it all.. mixed in a tub and through a food strainer from walmart a few times.. i then added a lil dextrin and water to get it to bind.. i think i may have made it too wet as it was hard to then screen will it be ok if i just let it dry?? its still clumpy just a lil glistining

You may need to remill it and granulate it again. The problem is when the water evaporates away you're going to be left with recrystalized KNO3. Try to just add enough water to where it will form a coherent mass when squeezed. Add water in very small increments till you get the right consistency.

it was def. holding together as a ball.. but when i squeezed it through the screen it was more sticking to it like mud then pushing through it..

just did a couple test burns.. i let my BP dry overnight

first put a tiny bit of BP from a wolf pack commercial shell - this went poof real quick and gone

then approx the same amount of my fine BP -approx the size of my kno3 - this stuff burned popped/sparked more then anything

and one of the bigger nuggets that clumped up after screening. - about 1/8" in diamater - this peice lit and burned for a second or two

both my BP's left some slag looking stuff in the metal bottle cap i was using to light them in

Edited by boostedmx3

It sounds like you didn't ball mill it. BP is fairly slow if not milled, especially if the chems are not very fine and not screened a couple times. The "BP" I made as a kid with BBQ charcoal barely burned at all.

If you follow a good tutorial or read a bunch of threads, use a ball mill, and good hot charcoal, then it is fairly easy to make BP that is faster than the commercial stuff. Just follow the advise given in the many threads here and you will have some good stuff. But if trying without a mill or good charcoal then you will likely only end up disappointed.

Edit: a core is a hole basically. It increases the surface area so more can burn at the same time.

Edited by FlaMtnBkr

What you have made is called polverone. It's granulated, un-milled, powder. Basically it's a flammable filler, but little more under most normal circumstances. Also, the generic charcoal from most pyro suppliers is going to be crap as far as speed goes.

If you want to make BP capable of lifting or breaking shells, you'll need to mill the mixture and use a different charcoal.

ya i keep hearing this mill stuff lol.. i guess i cant take any shortcuts.. and this will have to do for fountain stuff..

i mixed the hell out of it tho thought i would get a lil better result then i did

You'd be surprised how big of a difference milling makes. It doesn't just mix the components up, but actually grinds them together resulting in a much more intimate mixture. I'd invest in a cheap rock tumbler I'd I were you. It's not a luxury for pyro, it's a necessity.

Slow BP will do just fine in a fountain with a little (15-20%) metal added for effect.

Yes, Nater it will. I hope my last message didn't read as me saying it won't. Greenmix is fine for making gerbs, but for making good BP a ballmill is a must. Currently, the Harbor Freight Dual Drum Rotary Rock Tumbler is on sale link. It is a 6 lb tumbler, and is only 54 bucks right now.

ya i keep hearing this mill stuff lol.. i guess i cant take any shortcuts.. and this will have to do for fountain stuff..

i mixed the hell out of it tho thought i would get a lil better result then i did

You should get the idea that shortcuts are ever okay out of your head now. Doing things the right way might seem tedious, but it will help you immensely. When you actually know what you're doing, then you can see if shortcuts will be okay.

Used my first batch of weak home made BP about 3 grams and made a fish mine out of it.. Well I tried.

Last week I took the BP from a shell that had the fuse fall out last year packed the BP in the bottom and put a bunch of lil fish fuse prices on top with a small piece of tissue paper between them. Then put more paper on top.. That worked pretty fricken awesome for what it was..

This one not so much did the same thing as last time Cept with my BP.. Well it was more like a fountain then a mine and none of the fish fuse even lit.. I has even primed them this time in the same BP I was using to lift. Except the BP shot the tissue paper and fuse out without lighting a single one WTH.. I guess it's just not hot enough.. However I still got a nice 10ft high shower of sparks

Trying to upload a video from my iphone5s idk if it's working or not

Edited by boostedmx3

Get a better camera and a ball mill.

Get a better camera and a ball mill.

there wasnt much to see... i took the video with my 5s it was a lil shaky as i ran cuz i didnt know what this thing was gonna do..

aand ya ball mill... when i get some more cash ill be buying one