APC Forum

Ramming fountian comp?

MWJ

I was wondering if someone here can tell me if it's safe to ram fountain comp that has Iron filings mixed in. I have some iron filings and want to make something with it and someone here suggested I make fountains or sparklers and I thought fountains are pretty cool so, is it safe? If not how can I make a fountain with iron filings that would be safe?

Thanks everyone,

Mike

Its not safe to ram composition that contains iron feelings in it, there is possibility of forming spark between iron to iron particles during ramming.

I would go for pressing it dry.

iron particles should be coated if you are going to damp this composition.

Its not safe to ram composition that contains iron feelings in it, there is possibility of forming spark between iron to iron particles during ramming.

I would go for pressing it dry.

iron particles should be coated if you are going to damp this composition.

Coated with what? Thanks.

Linseed oil would be the most common material to coat with. And he's right, it's much safer to press.

How would I apply wax? Which one would be best, the linseed oil or wax? Thanks guys.

How are you planning on making this comp? And how long until you use it?

Well, I guess I can use the skylighters formula with a minor modification. Instead of Strontium Nitrate I will use Strontium Carbonate because thats all I have.

Strontium Carbonate 50%

Magnalium, 200-mesh 20%

Parlon 20%

Red gum 10%

Iron Filings +20%

And I will make and use it within a week or so. What do you think of this formula?

Edited by MWJ

That's a pretty major modification. Unfortunately, I think you'll be left with a non-functional formula. Strontium nitrate in the original formula is both the oxidizer and colorant. While strontium carbonate can act as an oxidizer in certain special cases, it really can't be used as the main or sole oxidizer. Additionally, strontium carbonate doesn't have nearly the same amount of oxygen as strontium nitrate. It would take a pretty substantial increase to balance out if it were possible.

I'm glad I asked first. :) Thanks.

Do you have a good formula that I can use? I don't have any Strontium Nitrate.

You might just want to start with something simple. The following one is basically what I started with. It's from Ralph Degn's book.

KNO3 - 6

Iron or Steel Filings - 2

C (airfloat) - 1

S - 1

C (coarse) - 0.5

As far as coating iron or steel filings with paraffin, wash them with soap and water first if they have any machine oil on them and let them dry out. Basically you just heat the filings, and add in wax. Candle wax or beeswax are both pretty common. It'll melt. Stir it up to distribute the wax. You can tell when they coat, since they'll get kind of shiny and wet looking. You want them coated, but not soaking wet. Once you're satisfied, pour it out on paper and spread it out and let it cool. Break up any lumps with a screen, and you're good to go.

The one time I did this, I heated the filings up in a steel pan over a fire and then added the wax after I took it off the heat. I've also read of people using electric frying pans for this with good luck.

Thanks Mumbles. Is a 20 mesh screen good to use for this?

If the iron filings go through as they are then they should go through to separate them when waxed, so it depends on the size of your filings now whether 20# is the right mesh size. However too big a raw iron filing and it will not burn quickly enough, so maybe 20# will be fine, just don't even wax anything that fails 20# first.

Some of the earlier fountain comps used a Meal Powder base slowed with added unmilled ingredients then with added metal filings.

BP with an added 10% charcoal and 10% added iron or steel filings could be an interesting old formula, speed selection by charcoal type and degree of pressing. High carbon steel gives great sparks.

see these formulae

http://www.thegreenman.me.uk/pfp/fountains.html

Edited by Arthur

Thats a very nice formula Mumbles, Thanks. Now I have to make a bigger one.