APC Forum

Occasional Happiness

Draco_Aster

I had no dose of APC and a rather startleing encounter with police (if you guys want to hear about that just ask).
So, did you get a visit from the city, county or state? :ph34r:

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, did you get a visit from the city, county or state? :ph34r:

city, and for a three or four star D1 star gun ):

I live right smack in to middle of Houston TX, so I WAS in to wrong, just so happends I lit it off right as they (the two guys in a cop car) were driving down my street, I didn't see then until I felt somthing hot on my back as I was walking back into to garage after just firing my star gun, I heard one guy yell at me to walk over to the car and I was like "oh ****". Well as I turn around I found out the thing I felt on my back was the search light on the car, so blinded sweating and shaking I walked slowly back to the car, pocketing the tube from the stargun. I was in my back yard which has a big driveway for my pyro testing, and then the drive way leads out of a gate (it's a corner lot). So I walk up to the gate and talk to the officer, he asked what that was (as if the idiot didn't know) and so I said is was the somthing left over from newyears and he asked me if I wanted him to write me a ticket (I sure do hope they do always ask you because I don't think many people would say "sure, make it a nice big sum cause I just really WANT a ticket right now")... I said no. We talked a bit more he left, I had no ticket and I said I wouldn't do anything again. I haven't told my parents and don't plan to untill I'm 30 or something, this was why I took a break from pyro, I was scared out of it.

There's more to tell, but I hate to bore you guys.

Yahooo ! Today it was my last exam of all 32 I had to do these months. The bastards wanted didn't accept all my subject marks from my french high school diploma, so I had to redo them here as exams. I am so happy, this was my last one, the sufferings ended!

:D

I'm going to fire some shells this night.

I got some chemicals for free:

-950 grams of mercury

-mercury nitrate

-mercury(I) and mercury(II) chloride

-copper(I) and copper(II) chloride

-cobaldnitrate

-sodium and potassium nitrite

-lead nitrate

-aniline red and blue

-azocarmin G dye

-iodine

Now let's find something to use it for ;) .

Now now, Miech...surely you won't be getting into shenanigans with those??whistle.gif

Now for my happiness: who's that sexy beast what just soloed??!!! ME, that's who!!!

post-9843-127021756245_thumb.jpg

Now now, Miech...surely you won't be getting into shenanigans with those??whistle.gif

Now for my happiness: who's that sexy beast what just soloed??!!! ME, that's who!!!

You the MAN! Nicely done. It's exciting, isn't it? :lol:

Oh my gosh yes. It was awesome. The first landing was high, but the last two were great. I can't wait to get my license...I've promised so many friends at school a ride. I think that they'll have to pay for gas money, though.....2ninja.gif

It surprises me at how few people, at least at my school, have ridden in any kind of plane. And people seem to be afraid of small aircraft flying...a self-quiz in my health class included the question--"Would you be scared to fly in a small aircraft?" I was like WTF are you thinking, teacher?!

• 2 weeks later...

Had a pretty good and productive weekend, with some good news on the perc production- see that thread for details.

I also made ~2lbs of BP coated rice crispie burst and finished priming my dragon eggs- probably 1/2lb. I tested a few of the bigger ones and they are deafening.

I also got my veggie garden cleaned out and have lots of tomatoes and cucumbers sprouting (indoors) to get a good head start.

And people seem to be afraid of small aircraft flying

To be fair, there is something to be said for having more than one engine.

post-6492-127172601678_thumb.jpg

:P

Yipee ! I builded my first star roller today ! It does a great job, I primed my cut stars and I rolled some BP on hulls.

It used a windscreen wipers motor (from VAZ Lada 2105 :) ) and it's powered up with 12V from a switching power supply. It cost me 6-7$

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/2120/pict0278q.th.jpg http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7411/pict0275g.th.jpg http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/8462/pict0274w.th.jpg

Edited by 50AE

TheEskimo -- Enjoy as you get older the money to fly usually gets committed to other things like mortgage and other repayments. But though it's nice (and I first soloed on a Cherokee 140) wait til you fly something aerobatic with a tail wheel. For going somewhere the Pipers are nice, for the thrill of flying try a Chipmunk http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Canada_DHC-1_Chipmunk For a pure big fan boy's toy you should try to fly a Texan/Harvard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-6_Texan

Mike "To be fair, there is something to be said for having more than one engine." - til you get to the Spruce Goose which had so many engines that they never all ran right and the whole project rather floundered.

50AE I wish you luck with that -it looks good and a reasonable size to get a decent amount of product. You may want to vary the drum speed and angle at some time.

Edited by Arthur

Well guys, the roller worked good for now. I primed 500g of stars and I coated 30g of hulls with BP 6:1. I'll improve some things with time, maybe supporting wheels, a longer shaft and a speed controller.

Passed driving test, though due to stupid laws in my state i must wait 6 months before recieving my license. One step closer to independent living :)

I don't want to jinx it just yet, but I think I may have solved my priming issues tonight. I think it's official that I am switching to slurry priming. I've done it before with comets and some other things, but I think I have it down now for stars. I've never been able to get so much prime on the stars, and it's very solid. We'll be able to tell on Saturday.

On the down side, I also decided to break apart some spider stars un-gloved tonight. They happened to have lampblack in them. My hands are looking quite dark right now.

I gotta agree with you. I always like how much more rigid the prime stood from slurry priming. When I normally dust primed my rolled stars the final layer would be a bit, well dusty. On top of that I feel I can get a thicker more even coat on there.

On the up side for me I just got a pound of sugar AP, and my CuBenz just came out of the oven. In a few days I'll what all this fuss is about.

I don't want to jinx it just yet, but I think I may have solved my priming issues tonight. I think it's official that I am switching to slurry priming. I've done it before with comets and some other things, but I think I have it down now for stars. I've never been able to get so much prime on the stars, and it's very solid. We'll be able to tell on Saturday.

On the down side, I also decided to break apart some spider stars un-gloved tonight. They happened to have lampblack in them. My hands are looking quite dark right now.

I've had great results with slurry primes, nice thick layer, and you can also dump on some grain powder for a nice rough outer finish.

• 2 weeks later...

I can finally take a break! :D

I did my final exams these days, I finished my high school and I'm hopefully going to university, Chemistry!

Now I'm very jobless and I can spend more time to pyro and electronics :)

• 3 weeks later...

The good news... I got a tip about someone selling a Dake 3 ton ratcheting arbor press. Cheap!

The bad news... where do I put the fucker if I snag it?

My workshop?

All kidding aside, that thing will be invaluable to you. I wish I could get a bigger one myself.

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled about 100' of 6 strand black match dusted with fuse powder last night. This is for a class I will be teaching this summer for an introduction to timed reports (boy am I nervous!).

I tried some last night before it was dry on some cheap chi-com time fuse and it lit all dozen samples just perfectly. I am looking forward to pulling a full rack tonight with some hammer milled KNO3 and fresh airfloat charcoal I finished last week.

The one thing I am having trouble with is the separation of the string from each run of black match.

The one thing I am having trouble with is the separation of the string from each run of black match.

Not sure exactly what you mean there...

When running a single strand of string through the black match machine or just out of a tub of slurry and on to the frame, you have to transition from one cluster of six strands to the next and it is that 'crossover' piece that is giving me some trouble.

Just walked back from the beach. Beautiful evening. Quiet. Still.

A dozen 4 oz rockets launched without a single CATO. Half dozen stingers zipping hither-thither. Charlie does the half-blind, monkey dance to dodge one of the rascals. "Bout laughed my ass off in the process.