APC Forum

Occasional Happiness

Draco_Aster

Nice pickup on the KOH, which you think would be really easy to find, but it isn't as common as you'd think. For every KOH batch out there, there are 999 NaOH suppliers. The KOH is used to neutralize recrystallized batches of (per)chlorates, and avoid any sodium contamination.

HCl is one of those weird things that seems hard to find in Europe. In the U.S., I could go buy 100 gallons from a hardware store less than 5 minutes away. Yet I've heard Europeans can get HNO3 with ease. Here, it is very difficult and expensive.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HCl and H2SO4 are regulated here, but the guy is nice and gives me. You can buy HNO3, HClO4 without license though

Another thing... I've heard ammonium nitrate is hard to find in the US. Well here, it's the most easy to find nitrate of all. All pyro k3wls here start by asking first if there is any comp using ammonium nitrate or KMnO4.

Edited by 50AE

Today is my silver wedding anniversary. It is a miracle that my wife has put up with me. An example...

Years ago, she was in labor with child #2. Labor takes a long time, and there is no point in going to the hospital early... they literally send you home. Being old pros at this, she was on the couch in a very uncomfortable posture, gasping in pain. I decided it was a good time to do a little pyro.

I go out to my shop and put together a few crude bottle rockets, real little guys. I wanted to bench test them, so I clamp a stick in the vise, light the fuse, and back away. Nothing. I waited about a minute. Then, I released the rocket, looked into the nozzle from about a foot, and WHOOSH off it went. No glasses, of course, pretty stupid. My eyes are FULL of grit, and it hurts like hell.

I blindly stagger back inside, and announce "I think we need to go to the hospital." She says "It's not time yet, I can tell, the contractions are too far apart." "No, you don't understand, I think I need YOU to take ME to the hospital!"

Think she was mad? Whoooooo... In the end, my eyes cleared with some washing and it was OK. Lessons learned.

1) Goggles, goggles, goggles

2) Don't do pyro while your wife is in labor.

Today is my silver wedding anniversary. It is a miracle that my wife has put up with me. An example...

Years ago, she was in labor with child #2. Labor takes a long time, and there is no point in going to the hospital early... they literally send you home. Being old pros at this, she was on the couch in a very uncomfortable posture, gasping in pain. I decided it was a good time to do a little pyro.

I go out to my shop and put together a few crude bottle rockets, real little guys. I wanted to bench test them, so I clamp a stick in the vise, light the fuse, and back away. Nothing. I waited about a minute. Then, I released the rocket, looked into the nozzle from about a foot, and WHOOSH off it went. No glasses, of course, pretty stupid. My eyes are FULL of grit, and it hurts like hell.

I blindly stagger back inside, and announce "I think we need to go to the hospital." She says "It's not time yet, I can tell, the contractions are too far apart." "No, you don't understand, I think I need YOU to take ME to the hospital!"

Think she was mad? Whoooooo... In the end, my eyes cleared with some washing and it was OK. Lessons learned.

1) Goggles, goggles, goggles

Heh... here ya go, old guy.... and congrats!

Happy Anniversary!

Yes I am applying to several PhD programs. I wish I could just get a Masters degree and go from there, but that is generally not an option.

What sort of PhD research are you looking to do?

The sort we all dream of? ;) It is possible! ;)

I have been doing inorganic research for the last two years or so. After getting out of the clutches of my graduate student, and running never ending columns on porphyrins, I got to do some interesting stuff. For the last 9 months or so, I've been working with Rhodium caprolactamate catalysts. It comes with the final goal of making a terminal Rhodium nitrido complex. I've been really getting into group transfer, and small molecule activation, particularly nitrogen activation. This very conveniently carries with it the use of azides, hydrazine, and diazo complexes that bring back fond memories.

Most of the groups I've been looking at are for group transfer, catalysis, and some small molecule activation/hydrogen storage.

Once I get out, we shall see. A member here got me to investigate a certain desirable contract industry a bit. It would certainly be quite interesting, if I can get a security clearance that is.

Ahahahahahahahah, that's an awesome story, except for the injured eyes. Thank heaven that you didn't suffer any permanent damage.

You forgot one of the most important rules, "If the fuse goes out, wait for at least 10 minutes before approaching the piece".

I'm gonna have to tell my fiance about this, it will make me look like a good guy, until next time I f*ck up.

I had a pleasant surprise yesterday. I stopped by at a clients factory, and one of the gentleman in the machine shop gave me a present... a set of 1 lb core burner tooling. He said he'd heard of my interest, did a bit of Googling, and turned them out for me during his free time. I was quite touched. Santa may have to slide a 1/2 gallon of Jack Daniels in his stocking.

I have 14 linear feet of 3/4" brass rod coming soon... not sure if this should have been in the happiness or the depression due to the $130 it cost me! I know that's not insane for what it is, but for a teenager, 130 smackers is a lot of money. But it WAS christmas money intended for that purpose, soooo....

I just hope I can find a better solution to cutting it than a hacksaw... Trying to fill a gallon jar full of media with a hack saw will all but kill me.

I have 14 linear feet of 3/4" brass rod coming soon... not sure if this should have been in the happiness or the depression due to the $130 it cost me! I know that's not insane for what it is, but for a teenager, 130 smackers is a lot of money. But it WAS christmas money intended for that purpose, soooo....

I just hope I can find a better solution to cutting it than a hacksaw... Trying to fill a gallon jar full of media with a hack saw will all but kill me.

If you have access to a power mitre saw, a carbide blade will cut it too. You will lose some material due to the "kerf" of the blade (thickness) but it'll be alot easier. Go SLOW... Then again, a little exercise might do you good ;{)

Well any saw will remove material, so unless I'm using giant scissors, I will always lose some due to the kerf. I don't have too many power tools of my own (or of my family), but I'm sure I have a friend with something like that or a chop saw. I have access to my school's shop, but i need to finish the required projects before i can start on my own <_<

Yeah, you're right, I probably could do with some upper body work... :D

Keep in mind that most miter saws are designed for wood, and will run several times the recommended speed for cutting metals. You risk shattering cutting wheels, melting the brass, and throwing pieces all over. I looked into this myself.

Any decent school shop should have a buffalo type machine where flat and angle iron is cut. Every one I have worked on also has a few holes in the side where rod can be cut. This is by far the fastest way to cut rod.

Any machine shop would have one.

D

Keep in mind that most miter saws are designed for wood, and will run several times the recommended speed for cutting metals. You risk shattering cutting wheels, melting the brass, and throwing pieces all over. I looked into this myself.

Yeah... this IS true. You'd need a FINE tooth, and being round stock..scratch that please. I have used these on alum. stock, but flat.

A cut-off saw would work...fiber blade. Your school shop prolly has one.

I'm telling you guys, a "Sawsall" is what you need. They are not that expensive, you can buy metal-cutting blades, and are super-useful for other projects too.

All you need is a bench vise capable of holding the bar stock firmly. Place the sawsall guard against the brass, pull the trigger, and you'll be through in seconds.

http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/54756683-c3fb-4ea8-a5de-f377769fc39b_4.jpg

That milwaukee brand is top of the line, but you can get a Ryobi cordless or even a Harbor Freight POS and it'll do the job.

I'm telling you guys, a "Sawsall" is what you need. They are not that expensive, you can buy metal-cutting blades, and are super-useful for other projects too.

To many hesitation marks left by the blade looking for a bite. I tried it with copper tube and was really disappointed with the results. I use a band saw for cutting rod in small batches.

D

You know, the best solution would be to pick up a horizontal bandsaw from Harbor Freight or spring for one that will last a few years else where. Now pay attention, because this is the important part. Pay it off by cutting up brass and copper rod for the rest of us if we send you the stock. $20 or $30 a job would be an absolute steal and you'd pay it off in no time. Jack up the price a little if you have to supply the brass/SS first.

These two look to be the same, and the reviews on Northern Tool seem pretty favorable

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...08967_200308967

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=47840

I also found these two things:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=42307

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=41453

Then of course there are the real(ish) deal cutoff bandsaws:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...65120_200365120

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=93762

Tell you what, you go and get the funky horizontal band saw and I will buy 1/2" x 3/4" copper tubing cuts from you for $.10 each. 1/2" pipe is $8.00 per 10 foot, you get 160 pieces from each pipe, $16.00 plus shipping. Grab 30 pipes, you make $8.00 each on the cutting and it pays for the $219.00 Northern saw.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...65120_200365120

I think you just found a business partner!

D

Edited by dagabu

Now that we got THAT all figured out, who wants to play with molten lead? I will pay $.10 each to just fill each cylinder with lead any way you wish. I will supply the lead.

Any takers?

Sorry Mumbles, should have gone to the Agora...

D

Edited by dagabu

Yesterday, I made my first successful shell!

It was a 1.75" can shell with blue and orange stars in it.

It weighed in at 54g and I used 6g of commercial to lift. It got maybe a 75' break.

it was my 4th attempt and the 3 previous just werent lifted high enough. they all broke on the ground. Anything valuable was very far away from any danger.

Anyway, I am addicted and in just in time for NYE. I have 7 just like it lined up, but I think i may over lift it a bit more.

Thanks for all of your help everyone, I really appreciate the safe guidance y'all have given :D

Yeaterday i made two batches of Dragons eggs, one lead/MgAl based, one lead/Copper based. I ended up making them into slabs, and tonight carfuly broke them up into various mesh size. Both were 100g batches, and it seems i need to mark down lead tetraoxide on my re-order list, and gloves, for some reason, my gloves seemed to just desinigrate after i used them. Now all this needed is to prime them, and make somthing with them.Theres still enough lead tetraoxide to make one or two more batches or Dragons eggs. Maby i'll try riceing them next time. Maby i'll have enough time to make a crackling Roman candle. I also have my Red, Green,Yellow,Blue,White, and silver and gold stars dried, primed, and ready to use(Well exept for the Mg based green, still drying) Edited by Twotails

Maybe add a respirator to the order list. That's nasty stuff. I remember ordering dichromate, and never opening it for fear of inadequate protection. Yeah..I'm a puss, but just sayin'...