APC Forum

Occasional Happiness

Draco_Aster

congratulations flying fish! no retakes involved?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats again and Congrats. Wow, so that's what Rich looks like teary-eyed :). This thread is making me feel super young.

My happiness of the day...I PASSED O-CHEM! Barely... 1.3 on the 4. scale.

Told ya boy ;)

BRAVO

Well here's my happieness of today. Somehow I managed to get skylighters Turbo-Pyro. its and extreamly early christmas present to me^^

Also, it seems I have great news, Im working with a company (waiting to here from her back) about Chainmail.

They deal with everything chainmail, not the cheap stuff, but the good, industral grade stuff. Im working on cutting a deal with her, and maby ordering from her. If anyone is interested ( cuz i have to order in bulk, and at $60 a pair of gloves it aint going to be cheap) in some heavy duty Chainmail gloves ( i'll see if i can get a full product list) I'll see what i can do.

Also, o-chem? whats that?

o-chem = organic chemistry (carbon-based chemistry). It's one hell of a class, I tell ya. Edited by flying fish

Oh, I thought it was some sort of Chemistry test, just wasent sure what kind >.<

well, Excellent job then.

Edited by Twotails

Hooray. I'm starting flying lessons tomorrow!!!!!!! YAYAYAYAYAYYA!!!!!! :D

Make sure you stretch your shoulders tonight, you don't want 'em cramping at a few hunnert feet....

Nah, it was fine. Went up to 2500, did some turns, got the trim set, and came in and landed. Piper Cherokee. First time I've taken a lesson in two years, thought it went well.

oh, I thought you meant flying lessons not piloting lessons..... Edited by RUUUUUN

oh, I thought you meant flying lessons not piloting lessons.....

People can't fly. Use Google, seriously, this kind of ignorance has no place around fireworks or high buildings. What a kewl. ;)

Nah, I got your joke the first time :P

Hooray. I'm starting flying lessons tomorrow!!!!!!! YAYAYAYAYAYYA!!!!!! :D

Ah, I remember the first time i flew a cessna, it was my teachers, And I took off from Keene NH and flew and landed in Worcestor MA. I had never even steped foot in a plane before that day, and it was funny

I asked him(my physics teacher) after getting into the plane, "So, where are we going to fly(and by We I ment him)?" He laughed and said " Well, Im not flying, you are!" I nearly DIED apon hearing that. He talked to the tower, and i took off. ( i was scared Sh*tless that i was going to crash) all he did was sit in the co-pilots seat ( he did have a set of controlles, just incase i did somthing stupid, but he never touched them) With his guidence, and "if we crash, all i need is 200ft to land this plane" attitude, we survived.

It was fun, although i did hit alot of turbulance.

i want to fly in his stunt-plane next, It goes upside down!

When I was about 12 years old, my friend's dad flew us to their cabin in Wisconsin in a Bonanza, the style with the throw-over wheel. There I am in the right seat, and he rotates the wheel over, and it's in front of me! I nearly crapped my pants, certain that the airplane would flip upside down and we'd crash. Then I learned that a trimmed-up airplane requires less input than a car on a highway.

That moment in a Bonanza started me on a flying career. What a blast.

I flew in a Piper Cub with a whopping 40 HP! I logged 150 hours behind the wheel in that thing before the fabric had to be replaced and I lost my free ride. I never got my license but I agree with Swede, the plane flew itself once in the air and landing took a little rudder and the throttle only.

I porpoised on my first landing and Tom, the pilot smacked me REAL hard on the back of my head when we finally got the scag (no wheel on this old beast) on the tarmac.

I really don't miss flying any more, too many hundred hours in military planes spoiled flying for me.

got some chems today :D loving this spherical titanium so much better than the turnings (in most things)

Out of all the cool stuff I had tried, a bright alum salute with sponge TI ring was just SOOO cool! Man, I miss those.

I just found out my autoshop teacher will let me use the lathe next door. I'm wondering whats a easy project to start with, wood preferably.

He's a really cool guy and is the "badass" teacher at the school, I'm also going skimboarding with him this weekend to bring things into prespective. So with that being said he should be fine if I tell him I am into pyro and that what I want the lathe for.

I can;' think of zilch other than some canister shell formers...

Any takes?

I just found out my autoshop teacher will let me use the lathe next door. I'm wondering whats a easy project to start with, wood preferably.

He's a really cool guy and is the "badass" teacher at the school, I'm also going skimboarding with him this weekend to bring things into prespective. So with that being said he should be fine if I tell him I am into pyro and that what I want the lathe for.

I can;' think of zilch other than some canister shell formers...

Any takes?

Comet pumps and rocket tooling come to mind right away. Some pistons for pneumatic cannons while you're at it.

I meant wood .

I'm not sure if the school lathes are just for wood, or they can handle metal too. If so some small bottle rocket tooling will be a must.

Edited by Ventsi

Possable things: Morter bases

(firework mounting)Wheels

round framework for screens

"throwaway" mallets

You can of course make wooden rocket tooling. Needless to say, these won't last as long as metal ones.

I meant wood .

I'm not sure if the school lathes are just for wood, or they can handle metal too. If so some small bottle rocket tooling will be a must.

Generally a lathe is either wood or metal. I've never heard of one that does both (or that is intended to do both anyway).

They are easy to tell apart. A wood lathe will have a rest that you put various shaped tools on and move around by hand. A metal lathe will have a tool post that you clamp tools into and then you move them by spinning handles.

Wood lathes aren't built for accuracy the way metal lathes are, you can turn up formers or mortar bases where +/-3mm isn't too big a deal, but they aren't ideal for tooling.

Personally, I think that metal lathes are nicer to work with, and the skills aren't really transferable (other than "don't take too much in one pass") so if your plan is to start on wood and work your way up to metal, I would skip the wood.