APC Forum

Occasional Happiness

Draco_Aster

It's the cheapest, and what a good job it does!

I do find it amusing that people use this bought product called 'wheat paste'.

Instead, you can chuck a cup of white flour in a litre of cold water, stir it to a suspension, and heat it till it's a strong paste!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do find it amusing that people use this bought product called 'wheat paste'.

..I find it amusing that people buy "flour" instead of growing their own wheat and then grinding it to make a powder, and then cooking that into wheat paste...

Sarcasm aside, some folks just prefer to be able to get right down to business - or their wives don't let them in the kitchen anymore!

You have to do almost as much effort with the bought powder. Stir it with water!

Toss in a little benzoate, perhaps, so it won't go rancid? biggrin2.gif

Yup, if I'm going to store it! I've had fun trying to make it as toxic as I can. Throw in copper, boron, benzoates, barium. Why not kill vertebrates, invertebrates, fungi, bacteria all at once!

However, if you leave it for long enough it still grows a rainforest of microorganisms. It's scary and impressive what some things can live in.

Neither those microorganisms nor anything else, for that matter, will grow in your paste if you use Paris Green (Copper Acetoarsenite) as a preservative.

That has drawbacks, of course. Not the least of which is that it's a deadly poison. ;)

..I find it amusing that people buy "flour" instead of growing their own wheat and then grinding it to make a powder, and then cooking that into wheat paste...

Sarcasm aside, some folks just prefer to be able to get right down to business - or their wives don't let them in the kitchen anymore!

That's why you need to sometimes 'sieze the moment' while she's out...A good cleaning and she'll never know you were even there.

Or I guess you can just buy a WASP ;)

I just state it how it is. "this is flour and water. no more no less. Really, I'm just making porridge that's not very nice. Nothing scary."

Not only does it letme use the kitchen, but I'm alowed to boil the flour and water in kitchen pots, not the ones I use for boiling down barium.

Neither those microorganisms nor anything else, for that matter, will grow in your paste if you use Paris Green (Copper Acetoarsenite) as a preservative.

That has drawbacks, of course. Not the least of which is that it's a deadly poison. wink2.gif

I'm not entirely sure. it'll kill 99.7% of microorganisms, but some in that 0.3% always get in there if you give it the time.

Obviously I do not have problems with the paste going rancid. I do not store it with water for weeks on end, and if I did it'd be frozen!

From what I've heard rancid wheat paste works even better than freshly prepared. They seem to use it on Malta. No, I'm not going to try :P .

I received my 2XL Iron Maiden T-shirt :D

The pic is from eBay*

http://i17.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/3c/a1/fc30_1.JPG

Oeh that's a very nice one, i like metal to :) !

Had a wonderfull day today, it was my last day of school ! I'm going to university next year (after my tests). A day of joy, some fireworks and lots of alcohol and other chemicals.

Bad thing is: The police dumped my 3 3'' mortars (2 cardboard ones and one fiberglass) into the river :mellow: . Gotta get some new ones.

Yesterday, my daughter pinned on the rank of 2nd Lieutenant in the U.S. Army... She graduated cum laude from TCU here in Ft. Worth. She will be posted to the medical corps after training. I am so proud of her, I could pop a button or three.

No lewd comments or I will kick a$$. :D

http://www.5bears.com/sissy02.jpg

Edited by Swede

Hey, congratulations Swede!!

What a lovely young lady. She obviously gets her good looks from her mother. :rolleyes:

And if anyone makes lewd comments, I suspect you'll have to wait until after SHE gets done kicking their ass. ;)

They do grow up fast, don't they?

Congratulations Swede !! I wish the best for your daughter ! ;)

Thanks guys. I cropped myself from the picture to avoid public humiliation. And yes, kids grow so fast it is staggering. Talk about ups and downs... Raising kids is the ultimate rollercoaster of highs and lows.

Congrats to your daughter on her graduation and current rank. Also congrats to you for actually giving a damn about your children.....there are quite a lot of parents out there who couldnt say the same and its good to see there are still some sort of family values and honor out there.

I'm in a fairly good mood because college is out for the summer and my friend has a well stocked shop that I can use to build various equipment with. Going to mount a 3'' HDPE mortar today and hopefully build a star roller soon. One of the main reasons I never got deep into traditional pyrotechnics is because I have a lack of tools and appropriate work space at my house. Hopefully I can do it this time.

Also need to find a job, but that can wait a few weeks. :)

Have not been this happy for a long time!

Finally in a band with enthusiastic people!

In less then a week we got 2 songs down.

Can't wait to get giggin!

Had to vent that happiness

Edited by Steps

Nice, I don't have school Wednesday and Friday. However, there's a job on the desk waiting for me. From all cardboard food boxes I've recently cut, there are 112 discs left. Now I must cut these in a flower shape and push them in my mould to make 4" hemis. Knowing that I need 4 discs for a single one, I will obtain 28 hemis, or.. 14 SETS :D. Oh, there's a lot of work Edited by 50AE

Im happy got a 72ch firing system arriving in docks from china on tuesday - been waiting for 8 weeks for it to arrive

Happy dayz :D

A bit random, but I dragged my gokart out of mothballs today, changed flywheels (to one that generates spark!) and tore it up a bit. There's an outdoor hockey rink not far away, did a couple laps in there and one area had some mud/algae growing on it.. You guessed it, POWER SLIDES. Great fun! But I had a bit of a blowout, will have to get a new tube. Might see about buying some tubeless tires and finding other hubs.

You said that the frame fits in your car, right? ;) Edited by FrankRizzo

It does indeed! I'll bring it next time I visit. Should be in the next couple weeks if you'll have us. Edwin wants to build a kart this summer too, he has july and august off so probably then.

So plans for this week(end?) include attaching the brake caliper to a pedal and making a nicer steering wheel/bar. I'd like to find some different rear tires, I think walmart here or down there had some Carlisle tires for a good price that looked really good. They seemed to be made out of "road" rubber and not the super soft kind that wears away too quickly.

Oh, also gotta cast a lead weight for the front end.

edit: Went ahead and cast a ~8lb lead weight. I took a 18" piece of 1.125" ID SS tubing and poured lead in until full. I wish I'd had a chunkier piece of tube, like 1.5" ID, same length. I really wanted to put like 15-20lb on the front.

Also cut some pieces to make a new steering bar and the brake pedal parts.

Edited by tentacles

Yeah finaly got my brand new and sexy lortrone q66 ballmill :D

http://pyrotube.com/play.php?vid=181

cost me around 550$ including a stepdown converter and 15kg/ 30pounds of lead

$550!?..ouch. I had one of those as my first "ball mill". The jar only rotates ~30RPM, which is much too slow for milling in any reasonable amount of time (~12hrs made acceptable powder). Build-up the rollers in a few places (at least two spots for each jar) with vinyl electrical tape until the jars rotate ~75RPM. The motor really isn't built for a 30lb load either.