APC Forum

Occasional Happiness

Draco_Aster

You're well on your way by the looks of it! Way to go.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that your motor runs at around 3400-3600 rpm.

Jupp, baby steps towards getting there. :D

The ball-mill motor runs at ~1450 rpm according to the label but the grinder motor has a motor controller since it's a washing-machine motor running at ~10-30 000 rpm? unrestricted.

It's been nice seeing you around more again. I can't wait to see what you produce after this long break. I hope all the issues you were having before are resolved too.

It's nice to be around more, I have missed you guys. Nice to see that so many of the newbs seem a lot smarter nowadays, although when Totse shuts down today it might be an influx of Kewls for a while.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found out there is a pyrotecnician living so close to my house I can see his house out of my window. I seriously need to meet him shortly.

I found out there is a pyrotecnician living so close to my house I can see his house out of my window. I seriously need to meet him shortly.

Heck, you guys could chat Morse code/beraq style ;{)

Pyrotechnicians in Holland need to keep a low profile, as there is no way to do it legal. I never shoot fireworks near my house for that reason, so it is quite understandable we both didn't know. Even with NYE I was shooting stuff at least 1500 feet from the closest building, on an awesome spot where I could see all fireworks of the whole city :) .

I don't think my neighbours are going to like it when I communicate with timed beraq's. It would be way easier to walk out of the door, travel an astonishing 300 feet and ring his doorbell. Heck, maybe I'll once try a S.O.S. in timed beraq, seems fun to me :P .

Edited by Miech

Miech, there are a lot more pyro's around then most people think of. I know a few that live within a few kilometres distance. Then again, Holland is a small country, right? ;)

Picked up a 60A 5v power supply for $25, couldn't help myself :)

Should be able to run 2mm welding electrodes with it until I find a proper use for it :D

Picked up a 60A 5v power supply for $25, couldn't help myself :)

Should be able to run 2mm welding electrodes with it until I find a proper use for it :D

Weld hell, make some chlorate with it! :D

Speaking of Chlorate, and its much mellower cousin, perchlorate, I'm making an attempt to clean up a batch of raw, electrochemically-produced perchlorate, roughly 300 grams. As produced in the cell, the oxidizer is very fine, almost a powder consistency, but it tests STRONG for chlorate contamination. I set up for a recrystallization, added enough KOH to bring the pH above 7.0, and also added some sodium sulfite to try and reduce remnant chlorate. The liquor is chilling.

Not having any clue about how much sulfite to use, I went with 4 grams, or roughly 1.3% by weight relative to the perc.

The crystals being formed are like large sugar crystals, which will make filtration easy, and hopefully a decent wash will eliminate any nasty chlorate. We'll see. It'll be an interesting blog entry. So far, the solubility numbers look perfect, and if they hold, I'll lose only 3.6% of the perc. If the cleanup works, this wil be my first "Pyro-Ready" potassium perchlorate from scratch! ;)

So far, the solubility numbers look perfect, and if they hold, I'll lose only 3.6% of the perc. If the cleanup works, this wil be my first "Pyro-Ready" potassium perchlorate from scratch! ;)

I have little to no idea what you just said, other than the last line... BRAVO!

The crystals are drying now. The yield looks a bit low... :( BUT, these are larger, denser crystals, so it may simply be a visual trick. The original powder was fluffy and occupied a lot of volume. Now that they are dense, real crystals, they'll occupy less volume, and I may be OK. It's going to take some time to truly dry out in this weather unless I get a fan going or something.

If the batch still tests as contaminated, I'll have to give the "acid cleanup method" a try.

Welcome to my world wally. Its hot as fuck here all the time, and when it rains, it comes down like the heavans are closing in, and its still hot as fuck even then. That and they cancelled Australia Day for us soldiers deployed here for no reason, so yeah there is my depression.

Just made near anhydrous acetic acid from baking soda, vinegar and sulfuric acid! I think I might start a blog after all I do have quite a lot of experiments going on...

Welcome to my world wally. Its hot as fuck here all the time, and when it rains, it comes down like the heavans are closing in, and its still hot as fuck even then. That and they cancelled Australia Day for us soldiers deployed here for no reason, so yeah there is my depression.

Where are you deployed at?

Canceling Australia day, how un-Australian :o

Football, meat pies, kangaroos and Holden cars ;)

If it makes you feel any better its 40 degrees Celsius here :mellow:

HA, 40 degrees is nothing, It just hit 45.7 here. We got a brand new 2.5hp air conditioner on friday, its been running all day and I am still sweating my tits off. :wacko:

Its been bloody hot here in Melbourne too, for the last three days it been over 43(109F for you yanks). Yesterday it was close to 45 if not at it in some places. Edited by rocket

It started snowing here again after a few days without snow, cold as hell. Seems that one could never find a place with perfect climate, either it's to warm or to cold or it's to humid or to dry. I want to live in a place were the temp stays between +20-30°C in the daytime with a relative humidity that will allow me to dry stars and BM in the open. The sun would be shining all day long but not in a annoying way [gremlin]Bright light, bright light.[/gremlin].

:D

Just made near anhydrous acetic acid from baking soda, vinegar and sulfuric acid! I think I might start a blog after all I do have quite a lot of experiments going on...

Crazyboy, I would be very interested in this synth. Please either blog it or post it. Thanks!

Crazyboy, I would be very interested in this synth. Please either blog it or post it. Thanks!

I started a blog and put up one entry "Back to basics" I'm a bit tired now but I will try to add the acetic acid synthesis soon.

My first 3" shell worked! Electrical tape for pasting. haha the shell went up and fell like a third of it's height before going off.

My first 3" shell worked! Electrical tape for pasting. haha the shell went up and fell like a third of it's height before going off.

Heh been there, done that! Great fun! Now...ya figger it was the timing fuse, or a lite lift charge?

Bravo!

OR on edit...did the electricl tape fry, and wave around in the air, killing your lift??

Edited by Richtee

Heh been there, done that! Great fun! Now...ya figger it was the timing fuse, or a lite lift charge?

Bravo!

OR on edit...did the electricl tape fry, and wave around in the air, killing your lift??

thanks! I'm thinking the timing fuse. It got to what I thought was a reasonable height and then began to drop. dunno about the tape frying, too dark to see. surprisingly symmetrical burst though...