APC Forum

Occasional Happiness

Draco_Aster

Wally: Lead nitrate is quite easily converted to an insoluble salt, all you need to do is mix with a soluble sulfate salt like K2SO4. Or use barium chloride to make barium nitrate. There are a lot of possibilities for such a reaction.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So on that topic...I actually happen to have some Lead Nitrate and Barium Chloride that I wanted to convert to the more useful (to me) Barium Nitrate. Do I need any special safety equipment (resparator, gas mask, fume hood...) or can I just wear Nitrile gloves and be careful not to spill any on myself?

I'll be sure to look at MSDS sheets, but it also helps to have the opinions from people who have worked with this stuff.

Also, if your post makes you sound like someone with severe CNS damage, I will make sure to stay the hell away from lead nitrate......

Edited by flying fish

Just wear gloves - if either of your chems is finely divided, I'd wear a respirator and goggles are a very good idea (splashes). Keep in mind the solubility of Ba(NO3)2 is pretty low, so you'll have to dilute your solution accordingly and/or wash the lead chloride precipitate. I can't think of anything very useful to do with lead chloride, but I suppose you could reduce it in a fire to get the lead metal if there's enough there to be worth the trouble.

lol.. should I be insulted?

FrankRizzo: Remember that crucible I gave you? I got my hands on it's big brother the other day, about twice as tall and bigger diameter, also heavier material. I'll probably make it into a big lead melting rig, with loops on the bottom to hook onto for pouring and such. Heavy duty 3/8" or 1/8" handles, or get some tubing for that.

I wouldn't bother with the barium nitrate synth. Lead chloride is just as nasty as the nitrate in terms of being poisonous. You're going to create a large volume of lead contaminated wash water that will need to be disposed of responsibly.

Tenacles: Awesome! Is it another drink shaker, or something else?

Edited by FrankRizzo

Similar to the drink shaker, it's a wine chiller (although it'd have to be a pretty skinny bottle of wine). Ribbed texture on the outside but the inside is smooth (brushed). Should be able to melt like 60 pounds of lead in this beast. If you don't want it, I'm sure someone at PGI will trade something for it.

No fears, I'm not a totally irresponsible non-green person... with the lead salts, all waste salts go into a 5 gallon carboy for either re-use or recycling. There are hazardous waste drop-off places where you can hand them a carboy like that and say "See ya." ^_^ Remember, I'm the guy that refuses to use Pb media for ball milling due to contamination. 10kg sounds like a lot, but it's such a dense salt, the entire 10 kg would fit into a 2 liter coke bottle with room to spare.

Gloves, respirator, face shield. Watch for splashes on clothing, and handle the stuff like plutonium (meaning with care), and it will all be contained and accounted for.

Lead is bad, but it's got that famous bum rap going for it. Barium nitrate may be worse, and look how much barium goes up in smoke.

Tentacles is an expert at turning one salt into another... I'm too stupid and lazy to do that, so I just buy the stuff.

Realized today that I'm finally going to have to replace my printer's toner cartridge - still got like 4000 pages out of it, not bad considering it was less than half full when I purchased the printer - for $60. I have a 20k page toner cart sitting on my shelf ready to go, gave $40 for that a while back, and just found two more 20k page carts for the grand total of $42.50 shipped! Drums included in the carts and the printer's only got like 68k pages on it, not even broken in yet.

I love lexmark laser printers.

I gave up inkjet and went laser years ago. I love seeing 8 pages rip out of that thing in 15 seconds, instead of the tedious "rrrrrr..... rrrrr.... rrrrr...." of the inkjet head moving back and forth.

Ink Jets are like crack. The printer costs nothing because they know they'll make it up in consumables.

COLOR laser, another story. Consumables still too expensive. But I haven't missed color yet, and whn I must have it, I'll use the kids' printer.

I picked up a decent laser printer under $200 a few years ago and haven't looked back, still on the first cart and new 10k page carts (head included) are under $50. Only downside is lack of inbuilt Ethernet for network printing but the computer its connected to is always on and it seems to share fine. Edited by WarezWally

• 2 weeks later...

Woooooooo, I half deaf but happy as hell :D

Have a good one to everyone who is still watiing, kindyadrunk but hey. was fucking awesom!

off to bed.....post some vids in tha morningn

Laser printers are great, I've been using and really old toner for years, I printed a number of documents of 500-700pages, still going on the same toner.

Happy new year from the jacuzzi :D !

So my laptop shit out on my last summer. The screen obviously burnt out. I've been too busy to get it fixed. I spent the better part of the afternoon wiping the harddrive, and reinstalling windows, of course to no avail. I went to Dell (don't even say it, I know), to try to get some service. After about an hour of them fucking me around and telling me that my warranty was expired(it's not), I broke down and called them. I hate calling technical support, because I never get anyone who speaks english. 30 minutes of holding, I finally get someone. Now onto the happiness:

They're practically giving me a new computer. New monitor, new hard drive, new AC adapter, and even new little rubber feet. I'm already on mother board #3 as well. I'm going to be really disappointed in August when my warranty runs out, because I know the whole thing is going to go to shit, as it does pretty much every year at the end of the summer.

Mumbles: That really sucks, but that's basically been my experience with dell laptops, especially if you're not buying the 'Fortune 500' line. I've been *very* happy thus far with my Aspire One - it's a netbook type with a 120g hdd rather than that stupid 4/8gb flash BS. Battery life could be better but the thing is TINY. The 1024x600 screen is definitely usable, the N270 CPU has plenty of power for anything I've thrown at it - including 1280x720 h.264 video (be sure to use the divx codec).

Although by the time your Dell shits it's pants permanently, there ought to be some nice ATI and Nvidia chipset netbooks out there. A tiny laptop with a semblance of 3d graphics - certainly enough to play older games. I really hate intel's chipsets, they haven't updated them in what, 10 years? I think they might even support directx 6!

I really hate intel's chipsets, they haven't updated them in what, 10 years? I think they might even support directx 6!

ME too. That's why I have run a Mac since...well..before many members here were born ;{) <1986>

Are we talking about video chipsets here? The intel integrated solutions are not designed for 3d work, some have special instructions that will allow them to play HD through.

Intel make exceptional north and south bridge chipsets though :)

Edited by WarezWally

Score. I was at a client today that specializes in non-ferrous castings. Hmmm, a little light bulb went off in my head. I talked to one of the engineers about casting some brass balls for me <insert juvenile snort>. He didn't think it would be that big of a deal to work up a sand mold. Gonna have them make a big batch of .5" diameter balls. Plan on bartering several hours of work on their server in exchange. Life is good! :D

Are we talking cannon fodder or milling media here? :D

I'm sure he refuses to answer that on the grounds it may inseminate him...or something like that. I never really got the whole law thing.

I'm sure he refuses to answer that on the grounds it may inseminate him...or something like that. I never really got the whole law thing.

Well you know.....http://militaryhistory.suite101.com/article.cfm/famous_minie_ball_pregnancy

Definitely milling media. I think people on this board would verbally lynch me if I used solid brass cannon balls to punch holes in Lake Michigan! Although... it would have a certain level of panache. Doh! Now I've got the Beastie Boys "Brass Monkey" stuck in my head.

The casting firm does a lot of pre-production prototyping for their clients, so rigging up something to cast several hundred brass balls isn't too big of a deal; especially when I'm not concerned with them maintaining NASA-level tolerance specs.

The fun thing about my job is having a client base that covers the spectrum of jobs from professional through manufacturing. Dentists give me boxes of latex and nitrile gloves, scrap AL from another client, the occasional gem of legal advice from others. Several months ago, I was talking to a client who's company had a lab that they no longer needed and wanted it dismantled. They had carboys of Nitric acid (among other things) that they no longer utilized, so they call in some Hazmat company to come in and cleanup/dispose of everything :o Day late and a dollar short on that one

I'm sure he refuses to answer that on the grounds it may inseminate him...

No pregnancies yet, but I did once have immaculate constipation. Does that count?

Yay, up and running after a long time of crawling. Got myself a sturdy ball-mill, blackmatch setup, al-grinder and a Kg of Mg. Just wanted to show of a bit. :D

Happy, happy, happy, happy, joy, joy, joy.....

post-26-1232138809_thumb.jpg

post-26-1232138823_thumb.jpg

post-26-1232138841_thumb.jpg

post-26-1232138853_thumb.jpg

Edited by andyboy

Yay, up and running after a long time of crawling. Got myself a sturdy ball-mill, blackmatch setup, al-grinder and a Kg of Mg. Just wanted to show of a bit. :D

Happy, happy, happy, happy, joy, joy, joy.....

May I suggest a better use for that magnesium ingot? Making Magnalium

May I suggest a better use for that magnesium ingot? Making Magnalium

Oh, the magnesium has nothing to do with the lump of remelted Al beeing ground, the pictures were just arranged that way. :D The intent always was making Magnalium from it, that's why I bought it in the first place. It's been on my to do list for ages, I just haven't had the money or a cheap enough source for Mg before. Anyway, thanks for the heads up just in case I wasn't wearing my thinking cap. :)

It's been nice seeing you around more again. I can't wait to see what you produce after this long break. I hope all the issues you were having before are resolved too.