APC Forum

Occasional Happiness

Draco_Aster

Turned down some drills so they will fit in my drill chuck and I have never seen better machining in my life. Absolutely perfect, got plenty of long swaf to boot.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wally, I assume you used carbide to turn down those drills, or they weren't HSS... What you really ought to be considering is a quick change toolpost. Go check out the Phase II sets on www.use-enco.com . The smallest (AXA 100) is routinely $89 with a bunch of holders (including knurling holder) and it is absolutely a steal for that price. I'm talking grand theft tooling! It will change your life.

Deer hanging in the barn; smoked meat and jerky to follow soon :D

Will expect photos! Have you seen the "Smitty's" ad in the Agora? Ideal for a spicy sausage/jerky!

Also, I have done venison ham...not bad!

I ought to thaw out those double roasted big jim chiles I have in the freezer, blend up about 1/2 lb and add them to a jerky seasoning. I bet that would have some bite! I've been dying to try some used as "poppers", too. They're in 2lb blocks, though, so it's a rather daunting project to eat em all.

A big hunk of juicy red meat is in my near future for to make jerky with. I might borrow my mother in laws' dehydrator and use it and mine to make a gigantic batch. I've got one of those dorky square ones (with a fan at least) that they still sell at Cabela's and such, with 4 trays.. she has a round "snackmaster" with 10 trays.. I could probably do 12-15lbs of meat in one go with that kind of power....

Edited by tentacles

Deer hanging in the barn; smoked meat and jerky to follow soon :D

Right on hst45! I'm hoping to bag a deer this year. Sighted my rifle in on the weekend, now just to find the time...

Also, another happy note, my new woodstove gets installed tomorrow, should cut my gas bill like crazy this winter.

Tentacles, without a bench grinder, HSS will be more of a PITA then it's worth. When the day comes and you do buy one, be sure to get an 8" grinder, rather than a 6". Most home bench grinders are 6", and the extra 2" makes an amazing difference in the performance of the setup. Get a diamond dressing tool as well, and then you'll be set.

Carbides work great. The only reason I brought up HSS is that there are definitely occasions when they are better than carbide. That tool, for example, I gound it for one specific task... I was turning down a hardened ball screw for a precision thrust bearing, after chopping the ball screw in half with an abrasive saw. The rough turning of the new journal was done with carbides, but because the carbide's tip radius was largeish, and the rake zero, when the time came to sneak up on the final dimension to 1/10,000", any attempt to infeed that carbide less than a couple thousandths resulted in rubbing. The journal was being pushed away from the tool. But that HSS tool could cut a continuous steel ribbon only 0.0004" thick. Really it came off as dust, but the cut was 100% and very even.

The other time the HSS tools come out is for form tools, or when you need a particular shape to sneak into a channel, stuff like that. I'd say 80% of my turning is done with good indexible carbide, the rest HSS. I never had good luck with those brazed bits, and I think their geometry sucks. Unfortunately those are what usually come with a lathe package.

You are right about the QC tool posts. Two things bring much joy to a machinist, the DRO, and the QC tool post. Couldn't live without them. Once you go with either, you'll never go back!

YESSSS! The T-Cell lives! For those following my blog, yesterday I got sick of tweaking it and said "screw it, it's time." Filled it up with 25 liters of fresh KCl and used liquor, dialed up 50 amps, and sat back to watch.

It's performing perfectly. Tiny bits of salt creep here and there at some threaded fittings, but nothing major. The two chambers have a temperature differential between 20 and 25 C depending upon the pump speed. The sight glass works. I'm tickled.

I'll take some pics and post another blog entry later. This thing in theory should be able to create 1 kilo per day of chlorate, not sure yet about perchlorate.

Swede thank you!! I have always had trouble getting nice finishes on work im turning and its because im using a zero rake cutting tool, gonna have to get something with a steep rake for finishing and try it out. I always put bad finishes down to the fact that my bench lathe is light and vibrates alot, only weighs 40 odd kg. On another note i just broke a £15 indexible Glanze boring bar :(. I have a Chester Conquest lathe, another must have item for your lathe is a 4 jaw chuck necessary if you want to turn square, although i only got one because it had a larger hole through centre.

Swede: Be sure to keep us (me) posted. ;P I probably won't be able to mess with that LD plating til next week, tommorow I've gotta make a batch of green chile (already have the pork loin and everything) and I'll be out of town this weekend.

FrankRizzo: What kind of chance would I have of borrowing a magnetic stir bar? I can't seem to find mine, and I doubt the 20 I ordered will be there by this weekend. If not, no big deal, I can make something ghetto out of HDPE tubing and bar magnets.

I'm happy because I got the bulk (laser trap) cell sorting up and working properly... just in the nick of time for the undergrad research conference at Argonne! I won't be attending that conference, but the student who worked on it before me will, and she will be showing the video that I captured. Now I just have to make it work *consistently*, so I can invite some people over from a local medical research company. This is kind of exciting. There are all kinds of interesting possibilities that are going to arise out of this...like optical flow sheathing, and on-chip blood separation for things like Platelet aggregometry. Edited by flying fish

Damn. Can't help ya unfortunately. My little one has gone MIA, and the larger one is currently stirring a starter for a brew session on Sunday.

I'm happy because I got the bulk (laser trap) cell sorting up and working properly... just in the nick of time for the undergrad research conference at Argonne! I won't be attending that conference, but the student who worked on it before me will, and she will be showing the video that I captured. Now I just have to make it work *consistently*, so I can invite some people over from a local medical research company. This is kind of exciting. There are all kinds of interesting possibilities that are going to arise out of this...like optical flow sheathing, and on-chip blood separation for things like Platelet aggregometry.

Sometimes I think I wish I knew what the hell you are talking about. But mostly, I'm glad I don't, and that you do :{)

Well, optical trapping is relatively new...so it is normal that you haven't heard of it. Someone studying chemistry in *modern times* (like Mumbles) or any other scientific field might have though.

But just to give you an idea:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=WafKhYmGe1Q

Basically we are use the momentum transfer from highly focused coherent light to direct microscopic particles to where we want them to go. And when you are working in the small scale stuff - like in microfluidic chips with sufficiently low flow rates, you just have laminar flow, so the laser beam's waist (which becomes the state of lowest energy for the particles) coincides with the particles going past.

Imagine at a T intersection, you have particles that are going to want to flow into both directions at the junction. But you can use a focused line of laser light to act as a "conveyor" to carry the particles off to just one side. But based on properties like the size and refractive index, different particles are sorted with different efficiencies. So basically you can have a setup where red blood cells go one way, and platelets go both ways. So in the end, you end up with a little chamber in a microfluidic chip that has a bunch of platelets in it. Then you can test the platelets to see if they work or not...(which is another huge challenge of course)

Edited by flying fish

Frank: No big deal, I'll go with the ghetto version. I can spare you a couple of the ones I've got coming as well if you want. I wanted more, but 20 is a bit many. It was the most cost effective way to go, though, $48 shipped for 20 (2.50 each) or pay $5 each and at least $5+$2 shipping for them.

Rich: thanks for the advice on the cure, I used 1.22oz of that KNO3 (which tasted slightly sweet?) to a little over a gallon of brine. The brine consisted of approximately:

3 heads garlic (medium size)

2 medium white onions

3/4lb double roasted green chiles

1/2c Oyster sauce (Lee Kum Kee Panda brand)

2c Rooster Superior light soy sauce (very good stuff)

3 small cans condensed beef broth (NOT campbells)

2 splashes chinese cooking wine (salted rice wine)

1tbsp fish sauce (this really socks in good flavor)

I ALWAYS mix up the brine and taste it before putting in the meat - I've found that the ending jerky will have about the same flavor strength as the brine.

I sliced an diced about 12lbs (maybe 10 after trimming) of sirloin tip roast, ended up with just the right amount of brine, and by morning it had adsorbed almost all of the brine, I was surprised because even after blending the onions/garlic/peppers, it was fairly "chunky". After spreading it out on the dehydrator trays, I had about 3/4C of brine left in the bottom of the pot. I put some steaks in the leftover brine to soak for tommorow.

I put Jamaica Me Crazy on the jerky after spreading it on the trays. I've sampled some thin pieces that were done-ish, and it's my best batch of jerky yet. Good thing, since there's going to be a reasonable amount.

Somehow, with all those Thai sauces, it doesn't come out tasting like a chinese buffet - just really good beefy flavor. With some heat/chile flavor from the JMC.

Edited by tentacles

Well, optical trapping is relatively new...so it is normal that you haven't heard of it. Someone studying chemistry in *modern times* (like Mumbles) or any other scientific field might have though.

But just to give you an idea:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=WafKhYmGe1Q

OK...kinda a sorta "anti_Heisenberg" thing.. in the vein you KNOW where they go from photon reaction?...LOL! Don't the laser fry the poor li'l buggers tho? Sso it's the photons that "herd" them, yet don't affect them?

Oh crap..I'm gonna be sorry I asked ain't I? LOL!

Rich: thanks for the advice on the cure, I used 1.22oz of that KNO3 (which tasted slightly sweet?) to a little over a gallon of brine. The brine consisted of approximately:

That sounds about right. A secret of mine... for some of the liquid flavor, and sub/change other ingredients to suit...try a good Cabernet :{) Anti-oxidants and flavor in one package! Awaiting results!

On edit: How many lbs of meat? And a sure indication if you used too much is "nitrate burn"....white/grey patches on the product. But if you had near 20 lbs... it don't sound like it's over done at all. Wish I knew more chemistry... sigh

Edited by Richtee

If you hit the cells too hard, then yeah you can cook or lyce them. I'm hitting them with about 200 mw (with a red laser), which is enough to trap but not enough to damage them.

If you wanted to get into the quantum mechanics of it, the photons actually loose momentum as they are scattered within the cells. In terms of which forces acting in which directions, this is usually explained in terms of geometrical optics. I'm not really sure all the details, but wikipedia has a good article on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_tweez...optics_approach

Rich: I used the higher amount you specified for brining, rather than the reduced quantity for a rub. There was one piece that was a ltitle light colored, it was probably the piece I tossed in before the KNO3 had completely dissolved (and ended up rubbing a chunk on). It's still good, right? ;P Otherwise the meat looks a nice red color, about what I would expect after a soak in a dark-ish marinade. There was about 10lbs of meat total, in a gallon+ of brine. Probably more like a gallon and a pint.

I figured it from your 6lbs per 100 gallons, converted 6lbs into oz and divided by 100.

So you substitute wine for the curing agent? Or is it more for flavor + extra antioxidants? I suppose the sulfites probably help with their antimicrobial action, too. A good dark beer would probably be excellent as well, something heavily hopped...

Speaking of good beer... no, that's another thread...

Rich: I used the higher amount you specified for brining, rather than the reduced quantity for a rub. There was one piece that was a ltitle light colored, it was probably the piece I tossed in before the KNO3 had completely dissolved (and ended up rubbing a chunk on). It's still good, right? ;P Otherwise the meat looks a nice red color, about what I would expect after a soak in a dark-ish marinade. There was about 10lbs of meat total, in a gallon+ of brine. Probably more like a gallon and a pint.

I figured it from your 6lbs per 100 gallons, converted 6lbs into oz and divided by 100.

So you substitute wine for the curing agent? Or is it more for flavor + extra antioxidants? I suppose the sulfites probably help with their antimicrobial action, too. A good dark beer would probably be excellent as well, something heavily hopped...

Speaking of good beer... no, that's another thread...

Ahh OK. Yanno, I had rub in mind, dunno why...sorry. I DO try to min. the curing agents, opting for perhaps a two day cure with less chemical. And I don't think the one hunk will hurt ya, but if it's just one...eh, toss it. Consider it a sacrifice to the Curing Gods for a successful cure outta your chem bin LOL!

No, the wine is for a flavor plus the side bennies mentioned. VERY tasty! Beer will work as well, but becomes suprisingly sweet even if well hopped in my experience.

Congrats on a good job... now when ya find a hunk under the fridge in a month or so, rinse it off and eat it ;{)

Isn't it good to see the occasional happiness thread has more posts than the occasional depression thread. Maybe that says something about the effects of the hoby of pyrotechnics, whether it be the fact that it makes you dwell on your frustration and not tell anyone until it festers into some kind of mental illness, or the more likely option that pyrotechnics is good for releiving stress/is a stress free hobby.

Gonna show you my Oh face :o :o :o Thank you Office Space.

End of work today; doing a bit of IT stuff at smaller city office. Chief O' Police (or as I call him, Big Pig) says "Hey, we're aceing out a few things from the evidence bunker. Swing on by and check it out if you want." What does my 1 good eye glance upon??? ... a Lortone tumbler with 2 jars!! :o :o :o

Apparently, when you walk the path of the righteous... good things happen to you. Oops, busy dodging lightning bolts now.

Lucky bastard. :D

That's worth ~$180 new, if it's a QT-66.

I'm wondering what it was doing there in the first place, though.

I'm wondering what it was doing there in the first place, though.

Dunno. My rampant avarice precluded me from asking too many questions. Was preoccupied with stuffing this little find into the trunk of Team Toyota.

Odds are that they busted a crystal meth lab and it got hauled in because it looked "techy".

Dunno. My rampant avarice precluded me from asking too many questions. Was preoccupied with stuffing this little find into the trunk of Team Toyota.

Odds are that they busted a crystal meth lab and it got hauled in because it looked "techy".

Well naturally, stashing the goods comes before questions as to its origin. :D

Though I don't recall any drug-making ops that would use a tumbler, I suppose it's possible.