APC Forum

Occasional Happiness

Draco_Aster

Looks like the person above me has a question (which I can't answer), but I suppose bumping this thread wouldn't hurt.

Staying up all night studying finally paid off! I do believe I aced my fields test. I also beat level 9 height 5 on Tetris. My life is coming together! /jk

Well, on the other side, I can't go home this weekend because I have too much homework, my quantum mechanics prof decided to "forget" that he gave us an extension on the assignment, another even scarier assignment is due on Monday for a senior level math class (which I should have started on a lot earlier but couldn't due to midterms and overall slacking off ;)), and then a terrifying test on Thursday for said math class (which will ultimately decide whether or not I will pass the class - yay!). Overall pretty scary!

I can never seem to post a happiness post that is all happiness...it's always some stupid mix....argggg...

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

InRainbows,

Sounds like that glassware was Soviet-made, and most likely takes standard(?) Metric stoppers. If nothing else, the USSR was practical. ;)

Well, on the other side, I can't go home this weekend because I have too much homework, my quantum mechanics prof decided to "forget" that he gave us an extension on the assignment, another even scarier assignment is due on Monday for a senior level math class (which I should have started on a lot earlier but couldn't due to midterms and overall slacking off ;)), and then a terrifying test on Thursday for said math class (which will ultimately decide whether or not I will pass the class - yay!). Overall pretty scary!

Well, hey! Your not the only one studing during the night... The worst thing is that I thaught that learning for a flying exam would be interesting, but god was I wrong, this thing litterally puts me to sleep... I'm fearing the commercial pilots lisence exams :D . Wish you luck for your assignments, and tests.

Off to pour myself a cup of coffee...

OskarChem, good luck with your exams! The good part is, you can brain dump approximately 85% of the stuff you are forced to know, as you really only use about 15% on a daily basis. Do you have your instrument rating yet? That's the big one. Can't dump that stuff because you DO use it, and if you screw up, you get violated, or worse, you crash.

I'm so happy... Moments ago I threw the switch on my monster 10 liter perchlorate cell. At 60 amps, it should produce almost a kilo per day. I'll post a blog entry with some pics. It's all acrylic, and should last a long time. ^_^

Well, Swede, I'm 15 so I'm not going to be doing my IR rating yet, just because the course takes along time and I'm in last year of high school, thus going to be having exams, and I don't want to study 2 quite hard things at once. So my aim for summer 2009 is: Whole PPL course, with IR if possible.

I would have to make myself a Perchlorate cell aswell... Can't wait to see photos.

Edited by oskarchem

I'm so happy... Moments ago I threw the switch on my monster 10 liter perchlorate cell. At 60 amps, it should produce almost a kilo per day. I'll post a blog entry with some pics. It's all acrylic, and should last a long time. ^_^

What kind of Anode are you using?

What kind of Anode are you using?

For now, one of Northstar's MMO anodes, and a Ti mesh cathode. It's chlorate only, so I'm doing a two-step process, stockpiling a bit of chlorate before recrystallizing, purifying, and feeding a perchlorate cell.

I'm very happy with the MMO anode. There is zero detectable erosion, and it makes a pure product. It looks exactly the same as it did when I opened the package, and it appears to be able to withstand some serious current.

Just finished painting my Skateboard, IMHO it looks great for the first time me using the tape and newspaper method.

I'll get a picture when ever I find my mom's camera.

Good luck on your flying exams Oskarchem! Probably not that helpful for the flying exam, but I just thought I'd mention that I found a "breakthrough" that allows me to study better. Sure, getting more organized and starting earlier would certainly help alot, but as if I would actually take any such measures..;).

See, I'm too nervous and hyper to sit down and do anything on paper. So I found a room with a big ass whiteboard and just started doing the problems on the board. This allows me to freely pace back and fourth while I am thinking about the assignment! This must be how my fields professor feels. He walks back and fourth really fast across the room while he is describing the problem. I honestly don't think he could sit still to do ANYTHING on paper!

Anyone want to do my homework for Boundary Value Problems? You just have to know how to solve an inhomogeneous heat equation with zero end flux for the boundary conditions, but with also using a substitution rather than the steady state/transient method (simple stuff, really). If you do I'll mail you my Bright aluminum stained photocopied version of Winokur's "Pyrotechnica #2!!!" Seriously, it goes up in value (exponentially) the more bright aluminum it is stained with. There is also a multiplyier for lampblack and red iron oxide stains, both of which my copy also wears...

I have a feeling I will be up till 3 AM for the next five nights studying for the test, and the next 2 attempting to finish the assignment...

Edited by flying fish

I am very happy about last night. My shells turned out very well. Well, blew one blind, but the single star that lit looked wonderful. I had:

5" Lancaster Yellow Glitter ball shell (blew blind)

5" Tremalon

5" Sun and planets - Wilbur blue planets with Lanc. Glitter sun

5" 5 timed spider

I was really happy with the sun and planet. Everything broke really close to simultaneously. The sun break could have been a bit harder, but you can't win them all. The Spider broke really nice. The inserts broke nice and symmetrically, nice and hard, right on rhythm. The big spider type of bottom shot kinda had a dump break, but it looked really good regardless. Had that real delicate creamy type of charcoal tail to them. Thats what I get for using slow flash to break it I guess. Next time 70-30 it is, and probably a full half ounce.

Only a half ounce? Linda was making some incredible 5" shells that she was sticking on her husband's (Rob?) 3 lb rockets at PGI - and she was breaking them with a KNO3/BaNO3 slow flash... 55g of it! But DAMN the breaks were perfect every time, and big.

If you saw how hard 7g of flash broke my 4" spider last shoot, you'd be saying "Half an ounce, are you crazy?" I think the key is definately to use 70/30. Even the 12g of slow flash in the shell isn't even up to my standard color break level. The planet shell broke just about as hard as the spider shell, and even that was light.

I made my first trip to a WPAG shoot/picinic yesterday with Sidewinder. I had a great time and finally got to put a face to the name of some of the people from here.

I had the chance to sit and BS with some people who have more years in pyrotechnics than I am old, and I'm not a kid anymore.

My advice to anyone interested in this hobby is to join a club and meet some like minded people.

The "B" line shooters last night put on a hell of a show, as well as the class "C" one fuse people. And the food at the picinic does not help with any type of diet. Can you believe Rice Crispie bars with Crunchberries? Who would have thought.

Anyway, a great time and a speecial thanks to Sidewwinder for the ride and to Mumbles for the beverages. Looking forward to the next time I can make it.

Fido

You're welcome, lostfido! I had a great time, too. And the ride goes quickly when you have someone to BS with.

The WPAG has a new member, as well, and it didn't even take any arm-twisting. ;)

Great food, gorgeous fireworks, and home-brewed beer. What more could ya ask for?

The bottles of Mumbles' Maibock and Munich Helles are now safely in my refrigerator, awaiting a suitable meal to complement them.

See, I'm too nervous and hyper to sit down and do anything on paper. So I found a room with a big ass whiteboard and just started doing the problems on the board. This allows me to freely pace back and fourth while I am thinking about the assignment! This must be how my fields professor feels. He walks back and fourth really fast across the room while he is describing the problem. I honestly don't think he could sit still to do ANYTHING on paper!

Thanks for that, but I don't really have a problem to sit down and read, do some exercises on paper, but my real problem is memorising the name of the clouds, their stabilities and all of the other crap associated to meteorology... But I have to say, the white board idea is not bad for my geometry tests...

I have a video of the 5 timed spider. As soon as I can get it extracted from Richard Black's compilation, I'll post it. For those on passfire, my shell is around the 4 minute mark. It's a pretty good sized video, and I don't want to crash the site or I'd post it here.

YESSSSS! My giant acrylic chlorate cell rocks! Pushing 50 amps towards the end, I learned a lot about heat, to say the least. The funny thing - It feels like I'm messing with gigantic amounts of energy, but the wattage of the system... maybe 350. 50 amps X 7 volts = 350 watts. Three light bulbs worth of energy. A hair dryer is almost 5X the power.

Still, it took 20 gallons of water in a tub, with a powerful fan to keep the water agitated, to dump the heat generated. I've got to get the electrode spacing reduced. I think I am going to add another Ti mesh cathode on the other side of the anode, so the anode will be the baloney in a sandwich.

Anyway, I'll weight the contents soon. I took accurate measurements and kept a log. For now, I stopped at a Chloride ion concentration of 77.5 g/liter, lower than previous, but still not even close to 10% of the start, which was 125 g/l. I chickened out. The anodes are too expensive! Pic to follow of a huge crystal mound.

More importantly, I am learning a lot about which materials, plastics especially, can handle these chemicals. Not many, it turns out.

Mumbles finally posting a video? That's something to be happy about. Also, my Quantum Mechanics Prof agreed to extend the deadline on our assignment in light of our Boundary Value Problems test (the entire 5 person Q.M. class also has BVP). So I can either use this time wisely to study so that I don't epicly fail...or I could just play video games and surf the forumz ;). Edited by flying fish

So I can either use this time wisely to study so that I don't epicly fail...or I could just play video games and surf the forumz ;).

I have no doubt of your decision, sir. ;)

Mumbles finally posting a video? That's something to be happy about. ....

Yes, hell has indeed frozen over. Finally, the pyro video gods don't spite me.

Well I've only watched Richard Black's video a dozen times so I know I have seen your shell. I will have to say every one of the items fired on that video were simply awesome but I will gladly watch it again to pick out the 5 timed spider shell by you.

I always love to listen to the background commentary in videos.

"Where's the fire extinguisher?"

"Get behind the shield."

"I'll take two cases of those."

Edited by ITCHI

That was a VERY nice shell, Mumbles. And Richard's video did a great job of capturing the fun we all had on Saturday.

Now that I have a (short-term) job, I might be able to make the September shoot after all. We'll see. :D

Yepee! My new computer is up and running, finally i'm working with somthing that dosen't freeze evry 15 min :D

Although I have a small problem wich is the fact that when I scroll down the page it dosen't do it as it should, it kind of cuts the page, I think this may be the fact that my graphics card (nVida 8800GT) is a bit too good for my old 18-19" monitor :D . But I should have a new one in not so long .

Just discovered that my favorite bohegeha skin is in :D

Edited by oskarchem

Yepee! My new computer is up and running, finally i'm working with somthing that dosen't freeze evry 15 min :D

Although I have a small problem wich is the fact that when I scroll down the page it dosen't do it as it should, it kind of cuts the page, I think this may be the fact that my graphics card (nVida 8800GT) is a bit too good for my old 18-19" monitor :D . But I should have a new one in not so long .

Just discovered that my favorite bohegeha skin is in :D

I just got my 8800GT (I love it) I also got back from Nicaragua. My plum wine failed but I'll try again.