APC Forum

Occasional Happiness

Draco_Aster

Not a reply to the crossette reparte', but happiness none the less. I have a couple of days off and I'm going to the camp to fish, drink, read, and generally relax. On my way down I'm stopping at Hooters for lunch, just to start the trip off right. Wings, Coors, pretty girls, rock 'n roll.........then bass, Coors, and sitting by the waters edge at sunset, vodka tonic in hand. No work, no phone, no T.V., no wife, (hst smiles........)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Miller product or not, I just can't picture any sort of happy scenario involving coors. Except perhaps the coors brewery burning to the ground as I piss on the ashes for all the bad times it has caused me.

In other news, I finally have proof of some of my good shells existing. One looks like sperm, and the other is barely visible, but there is finally proof. Only images, but it's one step closer to sticking it to the pyro video gods, who obviously have something against me. Pictures to come soon.

Today I built my first 3 succesful can shells, they were only 1" but they were quite awsome! They were filled with FlyingFish fuse and one had crackling fuse in it, with pulvorine as break. :D The only problem is that they broke a bit too low. =/

Edit: Btw, This site has tons of great info and is such a great help, I dont think I would have made it to this point without coming here,Thanks.

Edited by The-T

Miller product or not, I just can't picture any sort of happy scenario involving coors. Except perhaps the coors brewery burning to the ground as I piss on the ashes for all the bad times it has caused me.

(Mental-note-to-self: don't give 12-pack of Coors Light to Mumbles as birthday present unless I'm wearing my Kevlar "tee-shirt".)

(Mental-note-to-self: don't give 12-pack of Coors Light to Mumbles as birthday present unless I'm wearing my Kevlar "tee-shirt".)

Coors Light?

Isn't that produced by Miller's Department of Redundancy Department?

:D

I remember a ski trip out to Jackson Hole, Wyoming, back in the late 60's when Coors wasn't available outside the West.

I also remember 2 6-packs of Coors, a night of drunken revelry (and debauchery.... I think), and a porcelain god.....

Here are said shells as promised. The first (sperm looking) is actually blue with spider stars. The spider stars did not really show up very well at all. I think he also got it as the stars were burning out, and the blue lasted longer than the spider, also hence the poor pattern. As you will see in the second picture why the spider stars don't show up. Even the organic blue stars washed out the spider stars. If you look closely you can see a few of the spider stars. They were actually much brighter, but my friend was taking pictures of colored stars all night so the exposure wasn't as low as necessary. As you can see, he moved the camera a bit on the first one, hence the sperm effect.

http://www.apcforum.net/forums/uploads/1217005379/gallery_4_8_330005.jpg

http://www.apcforum.net/forums/uploads/1217005379/gallery_4_8_99571.jpg

Here are said shells as promised. The first (sperm looking) is actually blue with spider stars. The spider stars did not really show up very well at all. I think he also got it as the stars were burning out, and the blue lasted longer than the spider, also hence the poor pattern. As you will see in the second picture why the spider stars don't show up. Even the organic blue stars washed out the spider stars. If you look closely you can see a few of the spider stars. They were actually much brighter, but my friend was taking pictures of colored stars all night so the exposure wasn't as low as necessary. As you can see, he moved the camera a bit on the first one, hence the sperm effect.

http://www.apcforum.net/forums/uploads/1217005379/gallery_4_8_330005.jpg

http://www.apcforum.net/forums/uploads/1217005379/gallery_4_8_99571.jpg

WTF is that shit? Jesus get a camcorder already. No more line shells?

20 mesh should be fine.

Are you going to try the little rolled shots that Frozentech uses?

I may just try and burst with the whistle and/or flash for now, I have too many things to work on right now w/o having to make more new items.

I went to pick up some 3" H.D.P.E today, I had ordered 2m and was quoted $25.

When I get there (slightly pissed off from all the traffic) the guy hands me 6m and says you can have it for free!

very happy!!

the pipe is kinda warped though, curved like a banana ")" anyone know an easy way to fix this? I was thinking of cutting my mortars... then heating the pipe and flattening it in a vice.

~Milky~

I went to pick up some 3" H.D.P.E today, I had ordered 2m and was quoted $25.

When I get there (slightly pissed off from all the traffic) the guy hands me 6m and says you can have it for free!

very happy!!

the pipe is kinda warped though, curved like a banana ")" anyone know an easy way to fix this? I was thinking of cutting my mortars... then heating the pipe and flattening it in a vice.

~Milky~

You could try blocking it and weighing the high spot down with weight. It might be a good idea to fill it with sand to minimize (distortion of the roundness) if using a lot of weight, and then leave it in the sun.

Today I built my first 3 succesful can shells, they were only 1" but they were quite awsome! They were filled with FlyingFish fuse and one had crackling fuse in it, with pulvorine as break. :D The only problem is that they broke a bit too low. =/

Edit: Btw, This site has tons of great info and is such a great help, I dont think I would have made it to this point without coming here,Thanks.

Great job, I love those flying fish fuse for small fireworks. I like the concept of miniaturization... using tiny components, but still getting a symmetrical break, at an altitude appropriate for the size of the spread. You can take fuse like red falling leaves, and cut them into miniscule segments, so your break still has a star density similar to a larger shell.

It's like a bonsai tree. Miniature fireworks really interests me, and would definitely be a challenge. Big plus, inexpensive, and relatively stealthy. Good job on the baby shells!

Finally finished pasting my 3" ball shells...damn that takes awhile. 15 more all together. A few new tests in there...TT to blue, Silver Cascade (PGF formula in comp section),ruby red peony, and a double ring shell to name a few. I also have 2 -3" can shells and about a dozen 1" cylinder shells ready to go. I plan on making about 6 or 7 1-1/4" mines, maybe a ground whistle or two, as well as loading my 30 shot fan cake. I'll be shooting the stuff off next week on my holiday and will hopefully get some good vids.

I'll be out in a prime smallmouth bass and walleye fishing area...nice and remote :D Can't wait...drinking beer and fishing for a week.

Finally finished pasting my 3" ball shells...damn that takes awhile.

Have ya considered the spray adhesive thing I posted in the A.shells thread? It works...quickly! And good luck fishing. I'd love me some pan fried bass and walleye. Don't forget to get the walleye cheeks Yum!

Edited by Richtee

Have ya considered the spray adhesive thing I posted in the A.shells thread? It works...quickly! And good luck fishing. I'd love me some pan fried bass and walleye. Don't forget to get the walleye cheeks Yum!

I did read about the spray adhesive, but have yet to try it. It's been a slow year for me shooting shells without the regular spot I had before, so I'm not about to change my whole procedure ATM.

Yay! The Applied Physics department head at my school often sends us mass email on various semi-pointless things (well...at least pointless to the majority of readers). I was going through my email and saw one from him...and I figured it was just his typical department spam. Opened it up, and in shimmering letters it read. "AP Majors no longer have to take Java 2." Oh how I jumped up and down with joy! I have a few CS/CE friends that say Java II is not bad (and were willing to help me with it also), but I don't remember anything from Java 1, besides which I took it at a community college which was sort of the dumbed down version...So I was like "oh shit, that class is going to be hell." And now I'm like "Haha, now I can laugh at the various people who already took the class but now are finding that they didn't have to."

My dad got his explosive license!!! Now when the CIA comes to my house we can say it was him! It was required for his work lol. He is Vice president of a huge aggregates (mining) company and he has to be able to order shit loads of dynamite and other awesome shit.

Keep in mind, an explosives license isn't exactly a free pass to do whatever you want...Lots of stringent laws, regulations, proper storage, documentation and procedures still have to be followed to stay legal. And buying dynamite for a site that does not have a blasting permit of some sort (which will probably not be granted for home use) is also illegal regardless of whether you have the license. Furthermore, the explosives license could (at worst case) be more of a "hey, inspectors, come over here and make sure we are doing everything legally" flag, and if you are not...you could be in deep shit.

On the other side of things...This could give you and your dad the means to do pyro legally...but again you still have to follow the rest of the laws and regulations...getting the explosives license itself is only a part of "getting legal".

Ya I dig what your saying. They definitely have all the regulations and requirements down... They are a huge multinational company, so he knows what they all are...

Just keep in mind that company use and personal use are two totally different ball games. Your ability to bring the benefits of the license home may be limited...Like I said...it is not legal to do random blasting in your backyard just because you have an explosives license. And if you want to store or manufacture anything at home, you still need to have ATF approved and regularly inspected facilities. So I guess what I'm saying is that even if you understand the requirements...there is still a good deal more effort that has to be put in before you are truly "legal."

So I guess what I'm saying is that even if you understand the requirements...there is still a good deal more effort that has to be put in before you are truly "legal."

Well thanks Senoir Buzz-Kill,...... thanks for the downer. :P Good advise and true, but hey, kill the Easter Bunny and de-bunk the tooth fairy. Let the guy have a happy day, dude; reality will smack him in the teeth soon enough.

What? The tooth fairy isn't real?!?!?!

Ah, you are right. I shouldn't have brought that sort of talk into the "happiness" thread... In fact, I take it back completely. Ask your dad if you can have some dynamite to play with!

Well, I accidentally spilled the beans on santa clause for my little cousin...so yeah I tend to do that to people. My sincere apologies :).

You are missing the real benefit for an amateur pyro. *If* his dad will do the ordering, he can now buy unlimited chemicals direct from Barium & Chemicals, Service, Hummel, etc.

I suppose it is true that he'd have an easier time sourcing certain chems with a license...especially when buying in bulk from agricultural suppliers. And also especially if he is living outside of the US/ in a country where chems for fireworks are otherwise forbidden. I kind of accidentally assumed that he was living in the US, but now I'm thinking he might have been one of the Australians here? I could be wrong, I don't remember those things too well. And of course if that were the case, the explosives laws may be completely different there.

Just got back into town last night. Had a great relaxing holiday. Caught some nice smallmouth bass as well as a few walleyes and pike....drank a lot of beer too ;)

I also shot off a few shells, I'll post some vids later if they look OK.

My first crossettes worked great, shitty no video though. I made 3/4" Fish gold glitter. I broke them with granulated BP and 70/30, and didn't use a fuse.I hot glued a disk on top and pasted with 2 layers of 30lb kraft.

Hi, haven't posted here in a while, new interface threw me off :]

So, I just got back from Ukraine, and my uncle there works at a factory for spirit. He got me some lab glassware. The 25 mL graduated cylinder and 2 of the pipettes had hammers and sickles on them, which makes me think these are older pieces( 17 or so years ago at minimum.) And I was wondering whether the flasks would still take normal stoppers. I can't find any info, so I've come to ask.

But yeah, glassware and a scale is pretty nice.