APC Forum

Occasional Happiness

Draco_Aster

I had attempted to make something similar to a Barium Carbonate Green star that someone had posted on one of the skylighter newsletters. http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/how_to...works_stars.asp

My attempt involved various substitutions.

Original formula:

42 perchlorate, 28 barium carbonate, 14 saran, 6 sulfur, 10 magnalium +5 dextrin.

My formula:

44 perchlorate, 28 BaCO3, 6 s, 10 Bright Al, and 35 of ACE brand PVC cement (the PVC cement was partially gelled due to evaporation, so the % of dissolved solids would be higher than that of a fresh can).

The PVC cement serves as the vehicle, binder, and Chlorine donor. 3 in one!

The result is that they green sucks (very washed out)...but it IS noticeably green, or greenish-white at least. Some stars looked greener than others, suggesting that the PVC cement was unevenly distributed. Other advantages are that it took fire very easily (it lit in a stargun unprimed every single time out of about 7 tests so far), there was no fallout, the burn rate is good for most uses (not too fast, not too slow) and of course it is much less toxic than Barium Nitrate Greens.

HOWEVER, this is only a first try with this formula and I think that adjusting the ratios a bit may yield a more useable green.

Now for the best part! When I was testing one of these stars, the star gun blew a perfect smoke ring! Due to there being virtually no wind, the ring stayed there for about a minute. I am going to have to find out how to create such rings intentionally (although I have no intentions on taking up smoking, so it will have to be through pyrotechnic means).

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just finished overhauling my homemade linux router, patched a shitload of things, fixed Apache and re did all of my iptables. QoS seems to work much better now. Also did a bit of work on the mail server.

I have a gut feeling that I have missed a lot of things (security wise)

If you guys need to practice with your new lathes, I'll be happy to accept free rocket tools and star plates. You know, taking one for the team.

I'll keep that in mind. It would probably be some good practice anyway. Although, I imagine the first stuff will be pretty rough...

I'll keep that in mind. It would probably be some good practice anyway. Although, I imagine the first stuff will be pretty rough...

Rough or not...I'll pay for stock and shipping :{) Beats spending a ton on the stuff elsewhere. I'd like a 4 and 8 Oz tool set, and a small star plate. .375 would be cool !

I don't make any rockest so i really have no idea the size 4 and 8oz rocket tooling would be...I'd need drawings/dimensions to see how to proceed. As for star plates...WAY too much work involved I think to be making any for anyone other than myself, and even then it's not near the top of my list.

Last night I bought twelve 4" shells and twenty-four 3" shells.

Fun stuff right there. :D

Last night I bought twelve 4" shells and twenty-four 3" shells.

Fun stuff right there. :D

Congrats on getting a display operators permit Mormanman! What sort of contingency storage do you have out there?

Congrats on getting a display operators permit Mormanman! What sort of contingency storage do you have out there?

I doubt its like that my guess bought them from some shady character at a stand off the freeway now stored in the garage.

Not trying to be mean mormanman but your underage got sent to court for illegal fireworks and tend to have ideas that are appropriate for newbies or kewls.

I don't make any rockest so i really have no idea the size 4 and 8oz rocket tooling would be...I'd need drawings/dimensions to see how to proceed. As for star plates...WAY too much work involved I think to be making any for anyone other than myself, and even then it's not near the top of my list.

Bonny, Sleeter's book "Amateur Rocket Motor Construction" is excellent in every way for serious BP rockets. If you want to make your own tooling, I'd say it's almost a must have.

For a 4-ounce rocket, a small lathe can easily create the tooling. Try an interchangeable base, and start with 1/2" 303 stainless stock for the nozzle and core spindles. Bottle rockets are fun, too. Enjoy the machine.

I am pretty happy , very happy i should say.

I have been living in Madrid ( The capital of Spain) for one year , far of my home (500 km of the North of Spain,where i was born , and where i have been living all my life),because i wanted to work and there usually find work is quite hard.

This year in madrid , was good in somethings , but related with pyro was very upset,very bad for me, because i couldn't make anything of pyro.

I have been living here in Madrid without make pyro one year , but a few weeks ago a friend of mime , offered me a job in my city ,and i decided to move there.

There i can make pyro , because i have a place where do it , so i am very happy , and specting to be there to start with pyro another time.

I doubt its like that my guess bought them from some shady character at a stand off the freeway now stored in the garage.

Not trying to be mean mormanman but your underage got sent to court for illegal fireworks and tend to have ideas that are appropriate for newbies or kewls.

LOL thanks frank but I got hemi's not shells. Sorry technical thing.

Crazyboy, are you not under aged as well? Despite the fact that I am; I didn't get sent to court for illegal fireworks but for doing them where it was illegal to do them.

I don't know of any Kewl ideas that I have. I don't make ground salutes. I don't make b-=bs ever. I know a guy in the FBI and a Fire marshall and if I make one I am F#cked. Newbie maybe but kewl not that I know of.

LOL thanks frank but I got hemi's not shells. Sorry technical thing.

Crazyboy, are you not under aged as well?

Oh sorry I was under the impression you got shells not hemis. My apologizes.

I am indeed.

Oh, well sorry if I was rude its just you said I was like a Kewl.

*Hand Shake*

Hehe, I'm so happy right now; I was talking to my Polish supplier (Czort) and he said that I could come to his place to get some product's whils I'm in poland, turns out he lives in the city that I'm going to spend 90% of my time. He offered me 95% H2SO4 and 65% HNO3 for about 4E/Liter! (About 6$ I think). And because it's going to be my birthday I'm going to ask for some chems.

Gotta go and fuse my rack for tonight.

Hehe, I'm so happy right now; I was talking to my Polish supplier (Czort) and he said that I could come to his place to get some product's whils I'm in poland, turns out he lives in the city that I'm going to spend 90% of my time. He offered me 95% H2SO4 and 65% HNO3 for about 4E/Liter! (About 6$ I think). And because it's going to be my birthday I'm going to ask for some chems.

Gotta go and fuse my rack for tonight.

Happy Birthday Oskar!

Just bought another scale. $12 and I know its cheap but I really need one. D1 kills man.

Yesterday, I ordered some chems online (Pb compounds for anode research), and used my sole-proprieter LLC (a corporation) as the "agent" placing the order. Typical checkout process, phone number, Mastercard, etc.

This morning, the phone rings. It is the chemical company. I'm thinking "uh oh, here we go, interrogation time. Let's see if this guy is a terrorist, druggie, or bomb-maker, and then cancel his order regardless." I turned on my professional research voice.

It was a nice lady... all she said was "I'm sorry, we are out of the 'industrial grade' lead nitrate. Would it be OK if we substituted ACS (reagent) grade crystal instead?"

"Uh, yes, that would be fine. I appreciate the call."

"Thank you, your order will ship today."

:D

I think she forgot to tell you that the ACS stuff costs 5x more than the technical stuff.

I got 10L of 98% sulphuric acid and some copper salts fairly easily from a commercial science supply house. All I had to do was say that I wasn't making meth and they were satisfied.

If they substitute it because they ran out of technical grade, it should cost the same. When flying trans-atlantic in a 747 with my boss, we got a free upgrade to first class because business class was overbooked (their fault).

There was electric massage in the seat's back, so much space between rows you had to bend forward to touch the next seat, and about one stewardess serving free drinks for every three passengers. The price *difference* alone would have been 2500 dollar per ticket. :o

BTW, you remind me it's time to order some chems again. The first silica gel I had ordered via a pharmacy, intended as a catalyst carrier for a benzylic alcohol oxidation (thanks Kluthe), has been used up by my GF to 'improve skin, hair + nails'. :rolleyes:

Silly woman, I think I'll steal her make-up and use that instead, do you think it will leave the methylenedioxy bridge intact? :D

Well, now eavn in buisness class you have to actually stand up to touch the seat infront of you (I'm 1m90).

Finished my 4" shell of shells. It is 4" TT the mini D1. Four mini shells. Its going to be cool.

That reminds me I went to my friends house and made a 4" double petal for him. I took plenty of pics so I can post a tutorial if it works. Not sure when he's going to launch it though probably not for a while I'll make sure he records it.

I would love to make a Double Pedal, I just don't know how. Is it like a Saturn Shell?