APC Forum

Occasional Happiness

Draco_Aster

If only I wasn't sixteen I could do that. LOL.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

made my first color....

Shimizu organic red

Very bright red! LOVE IT !!!!

You must be Joe Z. on Passfire ^_^

That's me ! :)

I have no shells done at all... My 3" and 4" are coming FRIDAY...SHIT...LOL

I found a lathe locally that looks like a ridiculously good deal, going to go look at it tommorow. I'll check it out and more than likely buy it from the guy, it's a Myford ML7 7x20 lathe. A serious beast of a 7" swing lathe, at 185+ lbs. It will actually swing 10" over the bed gap, and the carriage is a serious affair, with T-slots and plenty of travel. The lathe even has a back gear for low RPM (as low as 20 RPM) work.

I found a lathe locally that looks like a ridiculously good deal, going to go look at it tommorow. I'll check it out and more than likely buy it from the guy, it's a Myford ML7 7x20 lathe. A serious beast of a 7" swing lathe, at 185+ lbs. It will actually swing 10" over the bed gap, and the carriage is a serious affair, with T-slots and plenty of travel. The lathe even has a back gear for low RPM (as low as 20 RPM) work.

Tentacles, Myford lathes are TOP QUALITY, excellent machines, made in Great Britain. There are thousands of accessories available, and Myford has a cult following that you would not believe. The hole through the headstock can be pretty tight, though. Be sure it will do what you want, size-wise. For rocket tooling, it should work great.

Is it a hobby machine? Most Myfords are, and hobby machines generally get serious TLC from their proud owners. It'll probably be cherry. But if it is in a machine shop, and has seen heavy use, watch out.

If I may ask, what are they asking for it?

I believe the current owner is the original owner, but it is a hobby machine and not a shop owned unit.

He wants $500 for it. It's worth more than that as parts, I know. I'm taking cash with me.

There's a bad picture of it over on my picasa page.. http://picasaweb.google.com/TomServo9503/R...601901618427474

You can check out a couple pics of my kart if you look at the other folder..

Just fired my first aerial salute, to see how loud these thing actually are, I was planning on making a +- 150g bottomshot, but I think I will lower the charge to about 25g, as the 50g one I just fired was the loudes't thing I've heard in my life.

Just fired my first aerial salute, to see how loud these thing actually are, I was planning on making a +- 150g bottomshot, but I think I will lower the charge to about 25g, as the 50g one I just fired was the loudes't thing I've heard in my life.

I just finished the last wraps on a 3" cannister, plastic can underneath the spiking/wrapping. Weighs 222 grams, and the can weighed 50- ish empty. I figger 40 grams spiking/wrapping/fuse...etc.

About 130 grams charge. I'm gonna bury the tube and use a foot of visco. I suppose it's good to be a little scared?

If anyone- especially in the Michigan area...is interested, I have an old ShopSmith for sale. Has a jig saw attachment, a table saw attachment, and functions as is as a lathe and a monster drill press. PM me if yer interested. Quite the machine. Not precision, but it gets many jobs done well!

Tentacles, you lucky b-----d, :P that lathe is worth $1500 if it's worth a nickel. Looks clean as a whistle. The tooling alone, depending upon what it comes with, can be a bargain. Nice find. Don't let it get away.

About 130 grams charge. I'm gonna bury the tube and use a foot of visco. I suppose it's good to be a little scared?

Yeah, burry the mortar, I was scared that the spolette is going to burn too fast (Flowerpot) or to slow, and make the shell plumb towards the ground exploding god knows where. I did overlift it a bit just to be sure it got high into the air, and not land on the roof of the house making a hole in it.

Yepee, tomorrow I'm going to a chemistry/pyro friend (FlyingDutchman on the forum) It's gonna be 4 days of chemistry (maybe some pyro but he lives where there are quite alot of houses so I prefer not to take the risk).

Yepee, tomorrow I'm going to a chemistry/pyro friend (FlyingDutchman on the forum) It's gonna be 4 days of chemistry (maybe some pyro but he lives where there are quite alot of houses so I prefer not to take the risk).

Hey maybe we could petition the UN for the establishment of another counrty... Pyronia or something... no houses..only bunkers allowed... and free reign on our hobby! Eh...it's nice to dream.

I believe the current owner is the original owner, but it is a hobby machine and not a shop owned unit.

He wants $500 for it. It's worth more than that as parts, I know. I'm taking cash with me.

There's a bad picture of it over on my picasa page.. http://picasaweb.google.com/TomServo9503/R...601901618427474

You can check out a couple pics of my kart if you look at the other folder..

Looks good Tentacles, I think I'll take your old lathe off your hands, once you have it polished to brand new looking ;)

Bonny: Well, I'll do what I can, can't make any promises though, it's going to be a busy rest of the week there. Any chance you could help me pick that baby up saturday? I'll pay gas and beer of course.

I'll try a few things to clean up the 7x12 for you, I'll start with 1500 grit sandpaper to polish off the surface rust. FrankRizzo's friend gave me some proper way oil that I'll put on there too. I will be buying a phase II toolpost, I think, enco has them on sale now for $89 for a set with 5 toolholders. Hard to beat that with a stick. So I'll let the toolpost go with it for a song.

Yeah, burry the mortar, I was scared that the spolette is going to burn too fast (Flowerpot) or to slow, and make the shell plumb towards the ground exploding god knows where.

Wow...total success. Buried it to the lip for fear of a premature, but that was unfounded. The green poly glue <THANKS Swede!> rising comet that self-glued to the bottom was nice too. 222 gram shell lifted with 28 grams home made lift. WELL up there.

I did warn the neighbors, and yes the car alarm did go off. WOW.

Made a new ballmill and will have some pics up soon.

This is my second ballmill and hopfully my last! Its made very well (my opinion lol) and Im 17 at the moment so I would need this to last the rest of my pyro life! The PVC jar (150mm wide and 300mm) can hold a decent amount of ingredients. The motor is from a old drill press and so are the drive pulleys. The whole thing is mounted on a steel frame. One roller is driven off the motor which on the other end drives the second roller.

The only problem is the belts! To have my second roller drive i need to get a tiny belt (which chances are doesnt exist) so I need to either use a longer belt plus a tensioner pulley. Also with the main drive pulley i need to work out the spacing correctly. At the moment im using a bunch (~10 -15) of No 64 rubber bands as "belts" depending on how long they last Ill decide on what to do. Most likley Ill use a tensioner pulley and play around with the drive belt tension (adjust spacing).

Hello all if any of you remember me. Took about a 1 year break from the hobby, and with the fourth rolling in I suppose it is a good time to start up again. I have to practically relearn everything from before, but I figure in the downtime I am out of my childhood make and use every compound I could get my hands on phase.(I dreamt some of these were illegal :ph34r: ) Going to get out the rocket tooling and mortar tubes, and bury/safely dispose of those certain high energy compounds I was so amazed with a year or so back. Maybe keeping some around for the novelty ;) . Also with some more chem knowledge under my belt and some reading, and taking AP chem next year I hope to further myself in the field. I hope to be more active on the boards, and persue the hobby in a safer manner. Have a fun and safe 4th!

After two and a half years I finally got a new cellphone. It's a LG Scoop.

The flip out keyboard makes texting a breeze. So happy. :D

I picked up my new lathe today, stripped down the crossfeed and compound, oiled everything, cleaned the chuck and bed (not that the bed was dirty).

I'm very happy with the lathe, it has a super solid feel and the smoothness of the movement is fantastic. I will hook up the motor tommorow and try some cuts. It even came with some tool bits I've been trying to get, an internal threading bar, and a knurling tool. Going to order a Phase II toolpost soon. Detailed pictures soon.

Tentacles, I'd love to see some pics of that fine old lathe. The Phase II QC toolpost rocks, you'll really like it if you've never used one. A good project is to weld up a rack for the toolholders in such a way that they are right at hand, and east to access.

Nice find, I am definitely jealous! ^_^

I finally got myself a lathe too, Tentacles old one. Definately looks pretty tiny compared to his new one, but it's a start for me.

If you guys need to practice with your new lathes, I'll be happy to accept free rocket tools and star plates. You know, taking one for the team.