APC Forum

Occasional Happiness

Draco_Aster

Ahhh the time has come construcion is complete!!! ;) I am proud to present the first shell, a 3" single break lancaster red shell with rice hull break topped off with a gram of whistle mix!! :D Well now I just gotta go blast her off!!! I really can not WAIT!!!! I am so anxious to see what will happen!! I will make sure to post some video of how the events play out. :blink:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/breimer06/DSC00279.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/breimer06/DSC00287.jpg

I'm so pretty ooo sooo pretty

weighs in at exactly 7.0 oz

so I fugure 25g of lift just to be on the safe side!! :blink:

Edited by BLAST420

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice, nice. I remember my first 3", I was so excited. I felt like a pro lol. Thats quite a big lift cup, how much did the shell weigh and how much lift are you using?

On topic with alcohol, quite frankly I believe Moonshine wouldn't be looked down upon so much if people were to distill it correctly... So much contamination from lead\dead animals in the fermentation\distillation process is one of the biggest reasons why it is illegal. Well and the fact that Uncle Sam can't rape it of its profit.

Home distillation IS legal in most states - there are limits to how much you can make, and you can't sell it, but it is NOT illegal. At least, not in the states or Canada. I think the limit is considerable. The concerns of the past arise from the use of car radiators for condensers, the copper/brass radiators that were soldered together with lead based solder. The alcohol would pick up some lead and you could get lead poisoning. Other concerns were inflamed from the spiking of spirits with methanol during prohibition.

On topic with alcohol, quite frankly I believe Moonshine wouldn't be looked down upon so much if people were to distill it correctly... So much contamination from lead\dead animals in the fermentation\distillation process is one of the biggest reasons why it is illegal. Well and the fact that Uncle Sam can't rape it of its profit.

Home distillation IS legal in most states - there are limits to how much you can make, and you can't sell it, but it is NOT illegal. At least, not in the states or Canada. I think the limit is considerable. The concerns of the past arise from the use of car radiators for condensers, the copper/brass radiators that were soldered together with lead based solder. The alcohol would pick up some lead and you could get lead poisoning. Other concerns were inflamed from the spiking of spirits with methanol during prohibition.

Regardless of state laws, it's still a federal crime to distill, even for personal consumption. Canada has a similar law. It's a silly thing to still have on the books after prohibition was repealed, but this debate comes up quite often on rec.crafts.brewing and the proof is below.

http://www.atf.gov/alcohol/info/faq/genalcohol.htm

To be honest I don't know why home distillation is illegal here, you can legally make your own beer and wine so it cant be about the lost taxes.

While it is illegal here, like a lot of other things the police simply couldn't be bothered doing anything. They sell stills in homebrew stores along with everything else you need without any legal problems.

Heres a a random fact, petrol is now $1.70 a litre here. Not good :(

Lets hope they can make a fusion reactor that will be car sized.

Heres a a random fact, petrol is now $1.70 a litre here. Not good :(

Lets hope they can make a fusion reactor that will be car sized.

http://www.futurehi.net/images/mrfusion.jpg

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/mr_fusion.jpg

Mr.Fusion anyone? :P

Lol that's from a movie... A great movie at that.

"Back to the Future"

It's a car that's a time machine... The engine took organics for fuel... After putting in a banana peel or something into the fuel cell he was pouring beer into it for that picture.

I never said the distillation of alcohol wasn't illegal... It definitely is in most states (I thought it was all).

I think if moonshiners had any common sense, they would keep a few gallons of methanol around, and if the ATF is busting on their door, pour it into their tanks of alcohol... You could probably pawn it off as fuel-grade. Let's astray ourselves from talking about avoiding the law though :D

You need a permit to distill your own alcohol for fuel as well. Just one of those things you learn by cruising around the ATF site.

Welded up most of my go kart frame today, here's the results.. Some of the welds definitely came out nicer looking than others but all are more than serviceable..

http://picasaweb.google.com/EdwinGuy/BrianSGoKart

Also got the engine running good, it's got 1.2 ratio valve rockers for more lift than stock, and heftier valve springs for more top end power. I made a lightweight aluminum flywheel for it (~10 lbs lighter than stock) that's working good. The motor will spin up pretty damn fast, far over the factory governed 3600 RPM. Probably about double that. I expect to use it in the lower ranges most of the time so I'm sticking with the stock piston rod for now. It will make about 9-10HP in it's current configuration.

You need a permit to distill your own alcohol for fuel as well. Just one of those things you learn by cruising around the ATF site.

Well darn... Double Whammy... I believe I read that before on the ATF site also... I know fuel ethanol distilleries don't have to pay a certain Tax\Fee that food-grade ethanol distilleries pay though.

I wonder how hard it is to get either of those permits.... Not that I really need either though... I can get 5 gallons of Denatured Ethanol that will last me about forever for $30 or so.

I finished repairing my firing panle last night...am I ever sick of soldering wires. I had to add 20 diodes so my "armed" lights would not light up on every active cue when a single cue was armed. I was getting a backfeed I guess through the ematch and other wires. The panel still worked without this last tune up but was not doing what I had in mind for the armed lights.

Was digging through the salvage yard the other day and discovered his gigantic box of 316SS fittings.. I picked up a dozen or so 3/8" weld-on female fittings for future beer related equipment. Also picked up some 3/8"x3" nipples, and some 1/2xclose nipples. $5/lb is pretty cheap for good SS fittings.. Also, they are all new. He doesn't have much in the smaller sizes but if you need 1.25-3" stuff, he's got em!

It is safe to say I am very happy right now. I just got back to my parents' house (where I do my experimenting), and tried out my latest batch of (slightly modded) Win 22. The batch before this one, although it glittered nicely, burned too fast to be of much use.

This time I had substituted Medium-slow meal for my fast meal, and just as I was hoping, the time-independant glitter effect was just as good (actually probably a bit better) and slowed down to a workable speed so that there is actually time to enjoy glitter shells made from it.

Better yet, the stars dried rock hard (with 8% moisture and pumping with syringe), AND, this was a big enough batch to ensure that all my glittering July 4th needs have been taken care of!

Seems these things just take a little bit of experimenting and a lot of help from Bob Winokur (not to mention those price-gouging publishers ;))

Nice tooling Milky,

I need to take a day off or two and make some myself and also catch up with some of the other stuff I need to make.

At least I bought 1kg of Al powder and in a week I should have my new source of KNO3.

Well Done.

Regards,

Gunzway.

I just bought a few kg of 30µm Al... Not Dark, though I do have a nice source for $15/lb (Dark)... I payed $8/lb. for the 30µm.

That tooling looks great... I forget the specs to the universal, but it seemed the nozzle out-slope (on spindle) looks really close to the edges of the casing.

Everything else, including the A-Rammer, which surprisingly a lot of people have trouble with, looked great.

Milky, nice tooling, especially considering it was your first real lathe job! :D

What are you going to use for a tube support? That to me is the hard part of a good set of rocket tools.

frogy, the "nozzle out-slope" is quite close to the edge but thats how it was on the diagram:

http://pyrotechnics.no-ip.org/files/universalspindle.gif

Swede, I had an idea of a sort of clamp... see picture =P

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8937/rclampfa0.th.jpg

Thanks for your comments guys, I rammed a rocket and the tooling works well... But the real test will come tomorrow :D

MilkyJoe, I made a clamp similar to that and it works exceptionally well, really solid. You might want to make it pretty long so it'll handle different tube lengths. A thought - add springs. Makes working with it easier:

http://www.5bears.com/firew/nrt07.jpg

Good luck with them. Good tooling makes pressing rockets so much easier.

OH YEAH, I just got back from setting up a PRO PYRO DISPLAY. It was awesome. I forgot to take pictures but the main Pyro or boss was Rich Praisley (I think is his last name) and the there was this other guy named Kim something. Kim is a male. I know his name is Kim, back in the day he was a PGI member and his previous boss invented the Heart and Star. Thats right invented.

Not only did I get to setup but this was at Ranger's stadium and I got to go see everything. In to the locker room, managers suite, media suite, you name it I've been there. It was awesome.

Over the past few weeks I've hand fired a few hundred 2",3"and 4" and even a bunch of 5" shells...you can really feel the thump on those ones.

Bonny, you got to hand fire them. Wow. 5 inches is pretty large.

I've got two more shows I get to help with on the 3rd and the 4th and maybe the 5th.

Fun stuff.

made my first color....

Shimizu organic red

Very bright red! LOVE IT !!!!

Bonny, you got to hand fire them. Wow. 5 inches is pretty large.

I've got two more shows I get to help with on the 3rd and the 4th and maybe the 5th.

Fun stuff.

We hand fire up to 6" max, but usually the 5" and 6" are electrically done...haven't done a 6" yet. When the 6" go off, you can see the mortar jump in the rack!