APC Forum

Occasional Happiness

Draco_Aster

If you don't mind me asking. What did he do?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's just say he was being completely stupid, and then abusive when his behaviour was pointed out to him.

I guess it wasn't such a good idea that me and others were teasing him (I'm not sure what went down after the first few posts, but it sounds ugly). I'll have to resist the temptation next time and just let it go until a moderator arrives on the scene...

Though I'd be pretty proud if we really did get him to mix in Baking soda with his Chlorate.

I assume its the guy who was asking about how to make flash for his k3wl m-80's?

That guy with the M-80s made me laugh. It's like a vagabond coming in a peaceful house by breaking the door, shouting there and finally being kicked out by cops :D .

Haha that guy was an absolute joke - serves him right if he was dumb enough to put Bicarb soda in his chlorate :D

Oh and today I had to joy of turning some nice stainless steel! :P :D

Its so nice to turn if your tooling is sharp! No sanding required and you can get a near mirror finish! However the swarf is next to lethal...

In my younger years I held it with my hand out of the way so it wouldn't get tangled up on the work piece. Stopped paying attention and the 5 meter long piece got wrapped around the 4 jaw chuck and ripped the long razor sharp strand through my hand - almost lost my finger :blink:

Mark, I can identify with the sharp chips. The very, very worst "swarf of death" for me came from milling HSS with carbide. Sounds bizarre, but what I was actually doing was this - I had a crankcase I had worked on, machining it from billet, for a month. It required something like 120 tapped holes. I got careless, and broke a HSS tap in there. Nothing was going to free it. I was miserable.

Then I decided to plunge cut it out of there. I used a good 1/4" carbide EM, and that cutter went through a HSS tap like butter. I was amazed and pleased. In my excitement, I got hundreds of the HSS shards on my fingers, where they instantly (and deeply) embedded themselves. The pain was horrible. I spent two hours under a zoom 'scope with tweezers getting them out. It was like a thousand tiny Ginsu knives going to town on my fingers. ;)

YES. I got a laptop today so now I can keep up on the forum again. I havent had constant internet access for several months now, but finally thats over.

My wife picked up a book on welding at the library for me today, and it's got a whole section on thermit welding! Even diagrams and instructions on how to make your own molds for thermit welding.

I've finally finished my 3" cannister shell. It has 10(2 rows of 5) scatter stars made (loosely) to Passfire instructions. Each insert shell contains 2 BP with MgAl pumped stars with a burst charge in between and 1/2" visco fuse.

The burst is granulated BP ...my version of rough powder.The shell is spiked with 3 vertical and 1 horizontal layer of fiberglass tape. I'll get the final weight tonight when I attach lift cup, but I think it will be around 450g.I'll be firing it this weekend...hope it works.

Now who sais that at someone's elses birthday, you cant get presents? Anyway, this morning I decided to go out to the garden and get that big cake in to see wat goodies could be found, and, hell, I get 200 paper tubes rolled like pyro tubes are supposed to be rolled :D with wich I make all of my rockets, because I have the wright dowel, and know to where drill the core. Anyway this is not the best part, I open up the cake and since you don't need to light a fuse, (it is electronicly activated by using a 9V battery) and I thaught that it was concived to only be fired once, but no, it looks as if I could pretty much rewire it and make myself my own firing sys, the best part to it is that by construction evry que has a speciffic timing to it so I can wire up my devices, and fire away with timing :D

100ml - $1.89 x 3 ($5.67) - BEAKER LOW FORM GG17 BOROSILICATE

250ml - $3.32 x 2 ($6.64) - BEAKER LOW FORM GG17 BOROSILICATE

50ml - $1.89 x 2 ($3.78) - BEAKER LOW FORM GG17 BOROSILICATE

500ml - $5.00 x 2 ($10) - 500ml CLEAR REAGENT BOTTLE WITH BLUE SCREW CAP

250ml - $3.30 x 2 ($6.6) - 250ml CLEAR REAGENT BOTTLE WITH GROUND IN GLASS STOPPER

250ml A - $3.32 x 1 ($3.32) - 250ml AMBER REAGENT BOTTLE WITH GROUND IN GLASS STOPPER

ThemS - $1.24 x 2 ($2.48) - SPIRIT THERMOMETER WHITE -10 TO 110 deg C

ThemM - $1.24 x 2 ($2.48) - MERCURY THERMOMETER WHITE -10 TO 110 deg C

200C - $30.36 x 1 ($30.36) - CONDENSER 19/26 GROUND MOUTH, 200mm JACKET, 332mm OVERALL

5035C - $20.35 x 1 ($20.35) - DISTILLING HEAD GROUND MOUTH 19/26 AND 2 CONES 19/26

3179-1 - $0.85 x 2 ($1.7) - M179-1 STOPPER 19x16x19mm 1 HOLE

3179 - $0.85 x 1 ($0.85) - M179 STOPPER 19x16x19mm

1456-90 - $0.41 x 3 ($1.23) - DROPPING PIPETTE WITH

LATEX RUBBER NIPPLE 90MM

5076C-D - $10.34 x 1 ($10.34) - JOINT 19/26 SOCKET MOUTH - 24/29  CONE

5001-250 - $19.48 x 1 ($19.48) - GG17 BOROSILICATE BOILING FLASK ROUND BOTTOM

Total: $143.58 (AUD, INC FREIGHT)

Looks like I'm eating instant noodles till payday :)

My show on Sat went quite well. All of my 3" ball shells performed OK with not TOO many blind stars. My comet fan racks looked great too. Other than needing to add some diodes to prevent back current turning on all my indicator lights, my electric firing panel works!!

The only real problem I had with was the fountains ignited some fuses early and shortened my show. I'll post some vids and pics later.

The main thing was that everyone was very impressed and had a good time. Burned my neighbor,s dock a bit ,but he didn't care.

Bonny: Nice! Looking forward to the videos.

Wally: that is a damned good price on a Hg thermometer - around here you can't get em for under 20 bucks. That is, if a place will ship them with mercury and all.

I can't believe that I haven't posted this yet. It was awesome, you can be sure of that. Some buddies from church and of course myself got together at another church members company warehouse and built an internal combustion engine. A 5.0L V8, for a like 1980's era mustang. I got to hold a Vortec Super Charger.

But the engine had some short tube heads, 4 barrel holly carb, (I think for the following) an Edlebrock Block, forged pistons, then all the regular engine components.

We started it up on the starting mount and gave it about 3 tries and a fireball came out of the carb right by one of the operators face, he was fine but it was so cool. It was like the cube from Transformers, raw power.

:lol:

I'll be a happy Chemist in a few days (5 or less I hope :P)

1  1812-1000    Erlynmeyer Flasks Glass Graduated 1000ml  $4.25  $4.25

1  1812-500  Erlynmeyer Flasks Glass Graduated 500ml  $2.10  $2.10

2  1812-250  Erlynmeyer Flasks Glass Graduated 250ml  $1.55  $3.10

1  1812-100  Erlynmeyer Flasks Glass Graduated 100ml  $1.05  $1.05

2  6131-53  Graduated Beaker Set 50, 100, 250, 600 and 1000ml glass  $16.22  $32.44

2  6103-26  GLASS FUNNEL Neutral glass 100 mm, 100 mm stem  $3.25  $6.50

2  788-2  (-)10 to 150C THERMOMETER RED SPIRIT 300mm  $4.95  $9.90

1  1543g-250  Separatory Funnel, Glass stopcock, 250ml  $14.75  $14.75

2  3351-2  SUPPORT STAND w/ ROD Cast iron 5" x 8"  $11.20  $22.40

1  1232-15150  Test Culture Tubes, w/Rim, 15x150mm, reusable  $2.10  $2.10

1  3530-2  BEAKER TONGS, 1/4" thick steel rod, coated  $4.10  $4.10

1  3580  LAB SCOOP Stainless steel, 6" long 3/pk  $4.20  $4.20

3  3407  CLAMP HOLDER, Light Alloy, off-set jaws  $4.64  $13.92

1  3410-10  CLAMP THREE FINGER, rubber lined jaws  $5.11  $5.11

2  3406  EXTENSION CLAMP w/ interlocking jaws  $6.31  $12.62

1  R741-6  TEST TUBE THERMOMETER RACK FOR ASSORTED SIZES  $4.12  $4.12

1  3501-2  TEST TUBE BRUSHES nylon bristles Medium 3/pk  $3.90  $3.90

1  E385-3PK  EYE DROPPER PIPET WITH RUBBER BULB 3PK  $1.20  $1.20

1  RTS00  Rubber Stopper, Solid, #00  $0.50  $0.50

1  rst1h-0  Rubber Stopper, One-hole, #00  $0.50  $0.50

1  rst1h-8  Rubber Stopper, One-hole, #6  $2.50  $2.50

1  CY137-10  CYLINDERS ,GRADUATED, GLASS , PE BASE, 10ML, ea  $3.27  $3.27

1  CY137-100  CYLINDERS ,GRADUATED, GLASS , PE BASE, 100 ML, ea  $6.56  $6.56

Sub-Total   

$161.09

$179.31 or something after shipping...

The sad thing is that I'll probably have to blow a few hundred more for all the distillation parts I'll need... I love chemistry to much to get mad at its cost... Everything above will pretty much last forever if I take care of it well. My rubber stoppers seem to always meet some nitric somewhere along in their life, so they'll probably die pretty fast though :P

esh I dont know about all that I just spent $420 the other day to get goin with my chemicals..tubes...some wick.... basiclly that didnt even dent it..So today I have to place my order probally to exceed $200 I will be purchaseing many more chemcicals and TOOLS(expensive part) a BALL MILL(which I am VERY HAPPY ABOUT A MUST HAVE.....) and uhhh.....screen googles time fuse ml measuring beakers .........rice hull....kraft paper.. 3 " mortar ahhh!!!! ANY HOW I LOVE IT!!!! I am very excited I have today and tom off I am going to be playing with fire! ALOT!!! :D but as we all know theres a price to be paid for our madness!!!

O BOY!!!! I AM GUNNA BE A HAPPY CAMPER IN A WEEK OR SO!!!! I have some nice goods on the way in addition to what I already have(not much just all you oxidizors....fuels....some various common chemcials, tools...the BASICS)

but......

12 2" X 3" Long X 1/8" wall craft paper tube

50 1/4" ID x 2" long x 1/16" Wall Tubes RED

3 Lb capacity ball mill

Qty=100 pcs 1/2" ball mill hardened Lead-Antimony media

Qty=25 2" Paper caps

2 Qty=10 Ft 1/4" Chinese times fuse 3 sec per inch

1 Qty =1 heavy duty 3,6 & 15 Lb mill belt

1 Qty=100 Ft 1/8" Water resistant Chinese fuse

1 Qty =20ft Xtra fast burn yellow :) and.....

(pyrodirect.com) :huh:

9" 30LB Kraft Paper Rolls

1/4" x 24" Aluminum Ram Rod

Rice Hulls, 3 lbs

3" HDPE Mortar Tube DR17 Mortar, 18" length

3in Paper Ball Shell Casing

2oz Polystyrene Jar

1oz Polystyrene Jar

and.....!!!

sodium benzoate

parlon

red gum..more

copper oxide

copper carbonate

ammonium perchlorate

stronium carbonate

hexamine

saran

wood meal

magnalium

zinc

potassium dichromate

iron oxidde red

strontium nitrate

barium nitrate......should be set I am very HAPPY

I will be sure to post video of my FIRST PRODUCT!!! :D :D :D

Found a sweet chemical supplier that sell lots of technical grade items, hopefully shipping isnt to bad cause I really want my 25L drum of sulphuric acid for $25 and 20L drum of 70% nitric for $70.

My glassware order shipped today, chuffed at how cheap some of the things were ($1.45 for a mercury thermometer). Also found a guy who is having a massive firesale, hes getting rid of a crapload of quickfit gear and other assorted goods that would make me drool.

+ got a free bottle of some redneck brand bourbon (Nelson County WTF??) which will ease the pain tonight :)

I'm supposed to get all my glassware Wednesday... I can't wait!

I wish I would have ordered a condenser and glass-jointed flasks though... Another day, another $200.

I wouldn't mind a 20L drum of Nitric, and a 25L drum of H2SO4 myself... Maybe you could send those my way :)

Unless someone in the US has some better "deals".

It cannot be that difficult to find stuff in the US, you have a shitload of people and company's to serve those people. I have a huge bookmark folder with all my sources, only problem is that most of them are quite some way away.

I cannot wait for my gear to arrive either. Looking forward to a nice glass distillation setup and whatever else I have ordered.

On a side note, this bourbon is pretty good. Better than Jimmy while label at least :)

AHHH YESS!!! Just finalized my chems order just over $400 I should be set for about the next couple years well...except for a couple metals.... and misc chems, and some tool eventually for now that is what the hands are for!!! But I am tired and going to bed happy knowing goodies are on the way!

Beleve me; you will not be set for a couple of years, this is an expensive hobby, once you get to about 6 months of pyro you will start making shells, rockets and others, and these devices EAT chemicals, I thaught that 5kgs of KNO3 would set me for at least a year, but now I'm seeking a new order (I ordered it about 2 months ago)