APC Forum

Occasional Happiness

Draco_Aster

Also, may be getting my hands on a free hydraulic pump later tonight. Someone brought in a truck with a lift gate, hydraulic pump still on it. If it looks doable the guys will flip that sucker over for me so I can rip it off there.

Yet ANOTHER nice score! Dude, you really have all the luck. :) You're welcome to take that air/hydraulic jack that was on my Hobby Fireworks press before I put the cylinder on it.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow! SWEET! That'll bring me close to a full hydraulic setup! Once I've got that welder, I'll just have to get some steel. If I don't get this one off tonight, the guy who brought it in said he can probably come up with one for me. I'm going to try and get this one tonight, though. Better to have a spare or one to give away/sell.

I just realized...that tonight is the first time I've ever sprinkled KNO3 in a camp fire. It is kind of a neat, glittery effect of bright spots where the particles land. Of course, I also realize that this may have been how the first pyros discovered their hobby how many thousand years ago. Not to sound queer, but it was kind of a special moment :).

Meanwhile, my neighbors whose firepit I was at were like "lets move the chairs back!" expecting for a fireball or something. I think they were almost dissapointed when all I did was sprinkle a little pinch of oxidizer on the fire.

Hydraulic pump secured! It's a smallish one, a bit rusty from it's tenure in a bumper, but I pulled out the 4' hose and a few feet of wire with it. I'll clean it up tommorow and maybe test it a little, see if I can find a model/specs. Free is good!

Yepee! My Pyrocreations order just came in, my 2 polyurethene ball mill belts, 3 sets of different tubes, and, 6 4" and 6" plastic all shells :D... I'll be on my way to make some charcoal... :D

Jacob, check out this saw:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=93762

In the hobby machine shop world, this saw is known simply as the "$200 Band Saw" and is one of the most beloved and valuable tools because of its cheap price, and the fact that it simply works. I had one, and it lasted 15 years before I upgraded. I've cut through 5" sections of 4140 steel with it. It'll easily cut SS media 24/7. Good part too is it can cut tubes, rocket tooling, pretty much anything you can shove in there. You really don't need any more saw than this, and the price is right.

Good luck, and thanks for the link.

Cool thanks, I actually bought the Jet version of that, got a great deal because the hinges were broken (among other things) but I got it straightened out without too much trouble.

Yepee! My Pyrocreations order just came in, my 2 polyurethene ball mill belts, 3 sets of different tubes, and, 6 4" and 6" plastic all shells :D... I'll be on my way to make some charcoal... :D

Why don't you just use large O rings. I buy a couple every now and then it and its really cheap but I think they last longer than the belts.

Well, I didn't exactly find any o rings around, and since I was ordering stuff; I devided to junk them in, to see how resistant they are..

Cool thanks, I actually bought the Jet version of that, got a great deal because the hinges were broken (among other things) but I got it straightened out without too much trouble.

Ah, I was under the impression you were band-saw shopping. Maybe that link will help someone else. Before I bought a band saw, I needed a 4" diameter disk cut from a steel bar. It took me 2 days with a hacksaw. I'd go at it until my arm muscles were screaming, then took a break. A miserable experience. That's what motivated me to buy mine.

The work stop device is perfect for repetitive cuts like media nuggets.

So I cleaned up and tested (a bit) that pump today - it works! I'm not sure of the max pressure but it is at least 3500psi, should be more like 4000. It does have an integrated pressure relief.

It is a Monarch Dyna-lift M313-105 with the 8111 motor. They have some graphs in their full catalog of performance (flow/pressure, current/pressure) and I *believe* this is a "105" pump (the actual pump units are modular) which the company has replaced with a #100 model. Should be around the .36cc/rev size pump. I'm going to email them for confirmation of the power pack's specs.

http://www.monarchhyd.com/documents/dc/M-313.pdf

Pic: Didn't take a better pic, thought I did, but didn't.. I cleaned it up some, plan on using some naval jelly to remove some rust, then put on some cheap paint.

http://www.apcforum.net/files/DCP_2544.JPG

Well, I didn't exactly find any o rings around, and since I was ordering stuff; I devided to junk them in, to see how resistant they are..

Oh, ok. Well if its for information its not as bad of a deal.

BTW, I just thought it was a little funny; tentacles, did you take that picture on July 17, 1999 at 19:58. :D

Nah I'm just too lazy to reset my ancient digicam's clock every time I change the batteries...

Sweet! That jack I've got for ya had a pressure gauge attached to a plumbed-in elbow fitting. Before I got my new cylinder, I removed the gauge and installed a hydraulic quick-disconnect fitting so that I could use it with my old 24V pump. The cylinder diameter isn't that large, but it will press up to 1lb whistle rockets using ~1800PSI pump pressure. It's got the spring return too, so it works great with a single output pump.

FYI, most 12V pumps are fully capable of reaching 4000PSI, but they should never be used that high. Over ~3500PSI, the pressure forces the two gear faces away from each other and damages the pump.

Gotcha! The mfr's webpage says "pressures up to 4000PSI" yet their charts only go up to 3500psi, so I figured 3500 was probably around the usable limit. I pulled out the 4' 1/4" 5000PSI hydraulic line with the pump, so at least I'm set there. I'll just need a "T" and a pressure gauge.

Just gotta design and build a press now! The scrapyard has some very nice 3x6x1/4" SS rectangular tubing.... now, there would be a nice press. Though I think it could be far simpler to buy one of the 30T empty frames from princess auto.

On the ball mill belts/o-rings note: vacuum cleaners use pretty good size belts and they come in many sizes, if you can find a store that has alot of vacuum stuff you might be able to find some that fit well and just buy a bunch. Removing the belt when not milling will also do wonders for the life of the belt.

Looks like I have tomorrow (sunday) off. Might be able to go to a scrap yard, no idea if it will be open sunday... but meh... other wise might go get homebrew supplies or something... dunno...

I'll have to agree with them on the O Ring replacement thing. I just went to a place that sold pipe fittings and bearings with my old belt and asked for something similar. It was only .75 cents and made of neoprene, versus six dollars for a crummy rubber belt + shipping.

The shipping is actually free, It's true that I could have looked in more places, but since I have a lot of school work, and the dollar is not expensive at all, I decided to junk the belt in with the tubes and hemis.

Well, this isn't really depressing so I guess it goes here.

I actually had to use the Ban Button for the first time today. Can't say that it actually made me happy. More like "perversely satisfied".

But, it's done and we have one less idiot to worry about.....

a ban button you say?

I think I need one of those for real life, duct tape only goes so far you know.

I actually had to use the Ban Button for the first time today. Can't say that it actually made me happy. More like "perversely satisfied".

LOL, nice. :) You should be careful though. That might have been Harry C. from rec.pyro. If so, he's gonna bitch for the next year about how he got banned from a moderated group. ;)

PS: I hope you IP banned the troll.

That guy was completely outrageous, normally I think there's hope for everyone who joins but...

Swede, I just bought a Bi-metal blade off Use-enco.com, they have the best prices I could find, and I think it's good quality too, made by Irwin.

Unfortunately my saw's missing the depth stop so I guess I'll have to make one.

I repair CNC machines for a living. And there are days that I wish I had a "ban button". Nothing wrong with culling the herd when needed. I think it is Staples that has the EZ Button. I will have to see if I can get one and modify it for the tool box.

I'm finally (almost) ready for my small show this weekend. :lol:

Here's a quick list of goodies:

12 various 3" ball shells

25 to 30 1" cylinder shells

10 shot fan comet cake

30 shot fan comet cake

7 shot 1" mine cake

2-2" mines

2-3" mines

2-2" multi shot candles with comets/mines

5 fountains

1 wheel

I'm hoping to "roughly" fire to music... a nice Manowar ballad

Most items will be fired from my electric panel, but I'll be handfiring the "Grand Finale" of 3" shells.

LOL, nice. :) You should be careful though. That might have been Harry C. from rec.pyro. If so, he's gonna bitch for the next year about how he got banned from a moderated group. ;)

PS: I hope you IP banned the troll.

God.... LOL.

And yes, his IP Address is banned as well. If he comes back, I'll ban his entire C range.

He definitely won the "Bozone of the Week " award....