• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BBQ skewers and a BIC pen ehh :)

That takes improvisation to a new level :D

Believe it or not, a bic pen makes a perfect former for 3/8 tubes and BBQ skewers are a little bit over 1/8 for a core.

Also, by checking the Sani-Flush MSDS, I couldn't find out what the other 40% were, other than sodium bisulfate. Anyone know?

What does "KP" stand for?

(Assumed potassium perc--but the reference was to KP-coated rice hulls for burst, so I'm confused).

Thangx,

s

PS: hope someone answers inrainbows' query about sani-flush....

"KP" is the label that Shimizu gave to Potassium Perchlorate bursting charge. He also gave "H3" chlorate/hemp charcoal burst charge it's name.

KP

KClO4 - 70

Charcoal (Hemp or Paulownia are specified) - 18

Sulfur - 12

SGRS +2% (or Dextrin +5%)

Kool. Thanx froze.

Just to keep this from being a lamo one-line response, I can say I've been experimenting with various burst charges in my film canister shells and have yet to find one that's "faultless."

Soon as I think a softer lighter charge is better, I find I need one with more umph. Really not that into risking a salute in the mortar tube, so I guess I tend to go a little light on my burst charges.

Any thoughts?...

Thangs,

s

I honestly can't give any good personal advice on film canister shells, as I never made any. I went from gerbs and lance, to rockets, to 3" shells, then to 4 and 6, and then to canister shells. In smaller round shells, you tend to need a harder break. I use KP on rice hulls for 3" and 4" ball shells, with some flash or whistle as kicker. BP on 6" round, with some whistle. I use KP hulls with whistle for 3 and 4" canisters , and will be trying out BP on cottonseed for 6" cans.

As for a "salute in the mortar tube", the only shell I ever had blow in the tube, was an in tube det ( I consider it a det due to the violence of it ) of a 3" canister shell of blue chlorate stars 15 months ago, that destroyed the rack and shredded the HDPE tube.

That was caused by using too fine grained of corned lift powder, I used 10-20 mesh stuff, have not had the same problem since with 8-12 mesh, including shells with several hundred grams of flash, so I wouldn't worry about KP break charge too much if the shell is well made.

I finally found a place up here that can get me KNO3 - a local hydro shop I'd been in before to pick up H2O2. I remembered the guy was very personable and competent. I stopped by, and not only did he look up the right fertilizer, he called to confirm it was KNO3.

$100 for 55lbs... Not great, but not terrible.

Edit: And he said it will be there tommorow, the warehouse is local.

I finally ordered Introductory Practical Pyrotechnics,

I've got my pyro tooling done and most of my supplies are in.

My neighbors seem pretty cool with my hobby.

I've gotten my mixers made and stored, there's a party at my house this Friday.

Today I got to have lunch with a good friend I hadn't seen in a while and theres a pie (minus a slice) in the fridge.

Life is good.

I'm finally going to get a car and licenses. :D

The PAT event is this weekend... =) ... Very excited... I am eager to learn some stuff... I hope I see some of you here... aslientbob are you still going?

Congrats mormonman!

Thanks. My mom said that I could get it when I got my Eagle scout and I'm still working on it but now that I just have to get a board of review to get my life and I owe her some money ($260) I need a job badly.

JCP, where is it?

Its about 3 hours south of you on I-35... 6 hour drive for me... Its going to be in a small town called Smithsville... Starts at 11 am or so tomorrow morning.. I am going to be staying in a hotel in Austin... 30 minute drive from there...

Its about 3 hours south of you on I-35... 6 hour drive for me... Its going to be in a small town called Smithsville... Starts at 11 am or so tomorrow morning.. I am going to be staying in a hotel in Austin... 30 minute drive from there...

If I could drive I would be more than happy to.

:) :) :) :) :) SCORE ! :) :) :) :) :)

Here at my work, they upgraded the eyewash stations

from pressurised to some new gravity fed ones. The

old ones were built on 5 gallon Cornelius kegs. You

Homebrewers know what I mean.

I scored three of them, in pristine condition, without

a scratch. All I have to do is replace the fittings with

new gas in / beer out valve posts and I am set.

had one hell of a party. going to sleep after i write this. got the hot tub fixed as well. good times, peace.

-Alex

I just got a HUGE internship offer. Great pay, great on the resume, and every girl I saw there during my interview was smoking hot. It can't get much better. If I didn't have to go slave away in the research lab in an hour, I'd be dipping into the Jack Daniels' Single Barrel I keep around for special occasions.

Excellent news! Congratulations!

Good pay and smoking hot women, as well?

Better buy a lottery ticket today. ;)

M

I was able to swap my 3 9" pieces of 1.5" stainless rod for 14' of 1/2". A bit small for milling media but it will still work fine for bp. Now to cut all that up, my bandsaw is going to be busy...

Nice score! 1/2" is *Perfect* for milling media! The bigger diameters are better for speed, but they won't mill as finely.

Way to go mumbles.

I got a new girlfriend on monday and my non-sparking media on tuesday.

My first batch of pulverone should be dry by friday and in the mean time I'll be reading Introductory practical pyro.

Life is good.

Apollo that was funny the way you worded that statement.

I might be getting a job at Ace hardware. Cheap goodies. At this Ace (I'm not sure if they do everywhere) they have Al 1/4" to 1/2" rods. :D

Priorities man, priorities.

mormanman: I've worked for a chain of Ace stores before, does this one give a discount? The place I worked at took 20% off for employees, even on sale/discount/clearance items. I remember picking up most of a pallet of fertilizer (had gotten damp and was crusty) for about $24 there once.

mormanman: I've worked for a chain of Ace stores before, does this one give a discount? The place I worked at took 20% off for employees, even on sale/discount/clearance items. I remember picking up most of a pallet of fertilizer (had gotten damp and was crusty) for about $24 there once.

Probably. And a pallet shit thats a lot of fertilizer. What did you use for? If they give me a discount I'm going to abuse it like crazy. I'm about to call them and see what the say.

They said, "We are still receiving applications and will call if I am one of the most experienced." Who thinks I'm qualified. One year of metal shop (can MIG and SMAW), one year of wood shop, OSHA General Safety 5 and 10 hours courses, Life Scout (working on Eagle, don't worry) and CPR certified.