APC Forum

Occasional Happiness

Draco_Aster

I got into a research lab. The professor seemed almost as excited about it as I am. It's a big step toward getting to be Dr. Mumbles. On top of it the grad student I am working with is really cute.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats!

Dr. Mumbles. Hmm.... has a nice ring to it. :D

Cute lab partner, eh? If she loves pyro, don't let her get away!

Just had a pleasant surprise. A friend dropped off a new set of leather welder's gauntlets. He also gave me a new split-leg, leather welding apron. Score!

On the flip side, when I wear the apron, I look like I should be on stage with the Village People :angry:

Maybe I should have posted in Occasional Depression?

I Just found out that machinist building my rocket tools is going to GIVE THEM TO ME FOR FREE!! Soo happy ^_^ :D :lol: B) :P . My siblings are joking that the reason it's free, is because it's an ambush by the feds. I sure hope not :ph34r: lol.

I got into a research lab.

I did too once.....but I was caught and did 6-months in County for breaking and entering..... :P

Congrats. What's the program?

I just set off my first pyrotechnical device, that was fueled with black powder instead of sodium pyrosulphate stump remover :rolleyes:

Nevermind, zinc/ sulfur propellant was my first, but that went 5 ft and dropped like a rock.

Congrats Mumbles on the lab thing!

I need to find some labs all written up with simple chemicals my college will have... Asked the teacher if i could do alternate labs as i have already done like all the rest of the ones that are in our lab workbook... So of course I'm looking into various intermetallic reactions and shit :D... Chances are ill have to make do with still rather bland ones though.

Made some more shirts... a half-life (the game) shirt and a shirt with omgwtfbbq on it with stickfigures. Going to use a projector soon... maybe today to enlarge a few designs onto shirts...

Gotta do homework this weekend like sunday all day or something... toooo far behind.

Jealous. Oh man do I wish i had a projector...

Going to get pizza now!

Set down the lines for what will probably be my best shirt yet... going to paint tonight... then heat cure... sometime...

Workroom in process. The room is in our basement, but at least it's much better than any other of the other opportunities I have. Besides, if I have to screen chemicals etc. I can just go outside when the weather is good.

Anyway here it is :)

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/8761/dsc02119ck8.jpg

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/2482/dsc02120ic1.jpg

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/7531/dsc02140wv5.jpg

Nice future workroom! I'm still in my crowded garage. -_-

But anyways, i just made a stinger from some NEPT from HobbyHorse. Worked great! plus it was my slow fuel and still worked nicely :D

Wow, jees, somany accomplishements in 2 weeks, congrats Mumbles, and congrats Bonny, anyway I am now a PADI Open Water diver :D. So I am juggling between, Studying for school, diving, studying to get my pilots liscence and of course Pyrotechnics, makes a lot of working but I'm getting there.

Unfortunatly, my vacation finnishes tomorrow, going back to Europe, but before that tonight a Party on the beach of Puerto Rico.

So I get back home on monday night and get back to school on tusday, ugh, 6h time difference...

You're partying on the beaches of Puerto Rico tonight?!?!

Have a great time!! Lucky barstard. I'm envious, wish I were there. So far, this Winter sucks. Hrrrm, I should be replying in the depression thread. ;)

I just finished my magnetic stirrer and it works like a charm! :D

I made it from stuff I had lying around not one trip to the hardware store here are some pics:

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w318/crazyboy25/2008_0301magstir0008.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w318/crazyboy25/2008_0301magstir0009.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w318/crazyboy25/2008_0301magstir0010.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w318/crazyboy25/2008_0301magstir0011.jpg

What a clever design, inspires me to make my own.

I wish I had motors lying around...

In other news.. I have a small barrage to be tested tomorrow. 3 polumnas, 3.7, 3.1, and 1.8 grams. A fountain, 3/8 ID 3 1/2 long, a rocket with a end effect, and some weird thing which I hope acts like a ground bloomer. it's not much, but what else can I do with my time?

I had an overall great day today, got my dirtbike fixed (well almost, there's just a little bit left to do) sent off $60.00 for the latest edition of ''Fireworks : The Art, Science, and Technique" by Takeo Shimizu,

And got some big scrap pieces of HDPE gas line to make ball mill jars out of. :)

I don't really understand how that magnetic stirrer works. It looks awesome but I don't get it. I don't need it but still I want it. Just kidding I have to much junk.

Does it spin the piece of metal inside of the beaker? Thats what it looks.

Yes a magnet is attached to a motor so it spins then a beaker is put over it and another magnet is placed inside the beaker filled with liquid. When the magnet on the motor spins it causes the magnet in the beaker to spin making a cool vortex. At first I was really confused as well.

Variations on this design include suspending a magnetized rod in the beaker.

The only downside is that its not a stirrer hotplate combo. But it was free so who cares?

Depending on the strength of the magnets, you could put a hotplate underneath a beaker and still be able to stir the contents. Just because its not a fancy premade designed-for-lab, hot plate stir rod combo doesn't mean that you cant put 1 and 2 together and get 3. It does look really shnazy though, nice job.

Hey, NICE job! Mounted it securely and everything.

Lack of money is the best catalyst to ingenuity. ;)

You're partying on the beaches of Puerto Rico tonight?!?!

Have a great time!! Lucky barstard. I'm envious, wish I were there. So far, this Winter sucks. Hrrrm, I should be replying in the depression thread. ;)

Heh, yeah that was nice, loads of girls and all, anyway, my vacation ends today :( going back at 6pm (Puerto Rico time) Back to the cold and rany climate of Europe.

I'm grinning like a little school girl. I was pissed because I had to get up early to work on a client's server this morning. While I was waiting for it to reboot, I got to talking with the plant supervisor. I casually asked him what they did with their scrap metal. Next thing you know, the trunk of my car had 30 lbs of aluminum and 35 lbs of magnesium :D. He said in a few weeks he'd have another fifty lbs of Mg for me :o

If the temp ever decides to get above 0 Celsius, I'm gonna cobble together a Frank Rizzo/Tentacles ninja furnace.

In just a few hrs (and a few beers 2smile.gif ) Tentacles and I made over 5.5lbs of magnalium yesterday.

For the sake of accuracy, I plan on following their steps to the letter. See above in parentheses.

OneEyeCharlie, that would be like big chunks right? Shavings and such wont work too well. And man... So jealous either way... Milk that source all you can man!

I really need to get my furnace running. Stupid lid.

Moved grandparents into a old person home today. Got alot of electrical junk. Probably 8 wall worts, 2 big speakers + wire, 3 bottles of isopropyl, 2 old things of draino, maybe 1.5 lbs of Aluminum scrap (fishing nets and such), probably 2/3rd of a pound of sulfamic acid, a cooler, a really long 1" copper pipe, and some Mr. Daniels. :D