APC Forum

Occasional Happiness

Draco_Aster

Haha im with you DeadFX! I have an order that ill be submitting to a major ceramic supplier in Seattle pretty soon. I actually won 2 auctions on ebay with ceramic chems this morning too.. Got me some red lead, granular manganese, and 12oz of pink cobalt sulfate to name the major happy making chems. Also have like 2 other orders i want to submit to places and all sorts of OTC shopping at the brew supply, hardware stores, etc.

I just got my order... These guys have really fucking fast shipping (also helps that I am one state below) :P Anywho I tried a lithium red mix consisting of:

Ammonium Perchlorate 7

Hexamine 1.5

Mg powder .5

Lithium Carbonate 1.0

The mix burned slow and the red was rather inferior. However the flame envelope was a little larger than I had expected.

I also got some vanadium pentoxide... I might try hydroylsizing some Urea into ammonia and co2 :D

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Probably won't deter you, but theres an article by Jennings-White in one of the Pyrotechnica on Esoteric flame colorants. He/she stated that lithium is quite inferior. The color is too dark, and easily washed out. I'll take a look when I get home and see what I can find for you.

I think the key to starting this out would be to lose the Mg. The oxide formed will wash out the color quite rapidly. Some additional chlorine donor may help as well. MgCl is transparent in flames.

Looking up some vaporization temperatures may also be useful. I doubt it is very high as I know lithium chloride can be used in alcohol flames, which is well within the realm of organic fuels.

I made some super fast bp and I don't even know the what kind of charcoal I'm using :lol: . I got my mom to order me twelve 3" plastic ball shells and six 4" one's too, but I have to finish a closet (putting up peg board) by Thursday. I also started pumping stars a while back but now all my stars are so crumblly and stuff I don't know if they are still wet or just not enough dextrin; anyway I rolled some C of Mystery with a D1 core, its hopefully going to be a really cool Christmas present for my mom, uncle, brother, 2 sisters, 2 cousins, aunt and my mom's friend and anyone else whose watching. Don't worry I'll record it and it will be going into the compitition(s). BTW, if anyone lives in the Provo area in Utah PM me and we might be able to meet up and do a shoot.

Yeah... umm... english is not my first language... But you get the picture no?

Lol, english is my first langauge and I've still never heard of a log splitter. Then again, I don't do much log splitting either (for me an axe seems to be sufficient for gathering charcoal wood).

It's probably british english. :rolleyes:

Haha, I think it's funny how long something like this will lag on...These are log splitters :P : http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=1091946

I use one all the time at work.

Some of those log slitters can be turned into very nice rocket presses with a bit of work. Psyco_1322 has a real nice modfied one with a blast sheild and whatnot. :D

Yeah, well I thaught of that, gut it's not mine it's the neighbours, who has a house here in France but lives in Venezuela, so he's never here, but the thing is that it has to have mora than 20T of power, and you can't change that, so imagine pressing a rocket with >20T...

im happy because i am back in bussiness i am making lift BP and stars and i am confident i will have enough one by the third week of winter break to make a pretty awesome display when i go to the desert which is my other reason for being happy. unfortunately i am running low on chems and i need to make un order soon but that can wait till next month till then im sure i can scrape together/freeload enough chems to get by. i hoper the kids io go to the desert with are impressed. so far i have a 1LB whistle rocket a 2" aerial shell a 4" starmine and i am working on 2 4" aerial shells plus 5 or 6 2-1/2" aerial salutes....

Yeah, well I thaught of that, gut it's not mine it's the neighbours, who has a house here in France but lives in Venezuela, so he's never here, but the thing is that it has to have mora than 20T of power, and you can't change that, so imagine pressing a rocket with >20T...

Sure you can! You just buy a little piece of kit called an adjustable hydraulic relief valve and plumb that inline with the hose feeding the cylinder. Another hose connects to the valve and sends the extra fluid back to the tank once your target pressure is achieved. There's also a good chance that there is already an adjustable relief on the pump unit. :)

I spent the entire day trying to make rockets, because i have never made a rocket that worked at all. so The first one blew the nozzle

out but it still left ground, 2nd one went 8 ft and blew up, third one went up 6 feet and straight back down wher it it burned out, but the 4th one went real high ,,, wooo hooo

I call it a day.....oh yeah...

I have to say i am extremelly happy as of today, today was the day i recieved my first lot of fuse, honestly it is impossible to get it over here but using my brains i managed to get hold of it, this means no more making my own fuses any more and dont have to waist majority of the time worrying about it, i will now stock up on different fuses before they get on to me :ph34r:

I spent the entire day trying to make rockets, because i have never made a rocket that worked at all.

rev., congrats! I struggled with rockets at first, and then after what seemed to be about 12,000 disappointments one of the little bastards flew worth a shit. I used to make a "salute on a stick", or a wimpy, arching fire-starter into the field. I tweaked the successful ones and now I can lift a 2" ball-shell with granite stars with a 4 oz. motor. Rockets are pretty addictive, once you get the hang of them. Good luck.

Two tips:

1) Greg Boyds' tooling

2) Fresh Step nozzles

1) Greg Boyds' tooling

Does he have a functioning website? Keep checking the link on the Passfire market page, but it always says currently under renovation.

Well about the rockets me to I am still struggling. SInce I don't have any betonite do you guys think that plaster would do?

I'm done with finals finally. I think they went pretty well. I'm hoping for like a 3.4 GPA this semester.

In related news, I am off to celebrate. There is a fridge full of beer, along with a nice bottle of whiskey waiting for me at home. I may not be back for a few days. Well, mostly I have to go home to spend some time with the family.

Congratulations.

Teach him the way of the pyro so you have someone to do all the dirty work for you in 15 years. :) Multi-generations always make for the best pyros.

SInce I don't have any betonite do you guys think that plaster would do?

I tried bentonite

I tried bentonite with grog

I tried Rockite

I tried plaster of Paris

I tried, well, just keep filling in the options..

FINALLY I tried kittly litter, specifically Fresh Step brand, and then I stopped trying. ;)

BONNY, congratulations! Kids are great...they practically raise themselves, you can teach then to hate the things you hate, and once they're around 4 or so you can teach them to fetch beer for you so you NEVER have to get off the couch! O.K., kidding...(but not about the beer thing...:D).

Mumbles: enjoy. Visiting relatives + sobriety = insanity but Visiting relatives + Ethanol = survival.

I have family coming in for the holidays. :angry: Crown Royal, 'shine, LaBatts in inventory....ahhhh! AND a small backyard show for X-Mas Eve. I have 8 4 oz. rockets, 6 1 lb. rockets, an bunch of 2" and 2-1/2" shells, and a couple of 3-1/2" shells. Might make a 2" maroon canister too....for a crowd pleaser. Wake 'em up.

Congratulations.

Teach him the way of the pyro so you have someone to do all the dirty work for you in 15 years. :) Multi-generations always make for the best pyros.

For sure! "OK son, Dad cooked up a big batch of charcoal last night and it needs crushing and sifting....oh, and don't tell your mother" :rolleyes:

Congratulations. 

Teach him the way of the pyro so you have someone to do all the dirty work for you in 15 years.  :)  Multi-generations always make for the best pyros.

For sure! "OK son, Dad cooked up a big batch of charcoal last night and it needs crushing and sifting....oh, and don't tell your mother" :rolleyes:

Mommy will know when he comes in covered in airfloat charcoal.

Congratulations on the baby buddy.

I think she'd notice when he came in looking like he just got out of a mine, and has black lung.

I assure you hst, no family holiday has been the least bit sober since I was around 12. I have some home brew, Paulaner Hefe-weisen, along with some other mass consumption types of beer. I was very tempted to get some Cask 16 Crown Royal, but it didn't have a price, and I didn't want to be suprised at the register. I went with the Jameson for this weekend. Haven't had it in a while, and it tasted very good last night. Apparantly good enough that I was made to sleep on the couch.

Congrats Bonny. Good luck raising him to be like the pyro in you :)

Hope everyone has a merry Christmas, and a healthy, pyro filled New Years!

I assure you hst, no family holiday has been the least bit sober since I was around 12. 

History repeats its self. I remember Christmas parties with the family when I was about 10 and we kids got ice cream with creme de mint liquor, at 12 we got to have a manhattan cocktail, and after about 14 we got to order drinks at the grown-ups bar. I've passed on the tradition: I'm always the bartender at all family functions, and the teens know that if they ask for a coke from uncle hst they can have a Baccardi kicker if they ask nice.

Actually, the best drinker I ever went toe-to-toe with at a family function was my son-in-laws sister. At a Christmas party a few years ago she ordered a shot of Tequila from me and I said what the hell I'll have one too. She downed it, ordered another...your get the picture. Needless to say the family was VERY pleased with the old drunk (me) and the teenage drunk (her) for our downing a quart of Jose Quervo over the course an hour and a half. Fortunately for me there was no more or she would have killed me. I was half stupid, and she was still holding her own. She's about 5'6", 110 pounds, a cute little brunette, and she drank me into a grease spot. Damned kid.

On a separate note: Pudi, I looked at my container of Fresh Step and it doesn't give any specifics of what's in it, except for saying that it has activated charcoal for odor control. Sorry.