Occasional Happiness

Draco_Aster

I'm very happy right now, since I recies a nice package today with:

1 L HNO3 61.4 %,

1 L Methanol,

2 L Acetone,

400grams of Dextrine,

Some KClO3 and some KMnO4.

I just really don't know what to do with the KMnO4. It's not useable for flash and things, so does anyone know how I can use it in pyrotechnics in a safe and fun way ?

Actually i know KMnO4 is no good in pyro, but it was so dawn cheap i had to but it :) .

Bye, Yellowcard

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WOO HOO just finished my star cutting board its real nice my nitrocellulose and nitrostarch caught fire while welding it that was kinda scary but whatever plus my chemicals should be arriving any day now. and im goin to the desert on thanksgiving

EDIT: ok here are the pictures of my starboard check out my mad welding skillz just kidding :D

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w318/cr...25/100_0884.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w318/cr...25/100_0885.jpg

Your Punctuationz are insufficient! You are charged with the fine of twenty five (25) pounds of Barium Nitrate.

Regaurds,

Grammar police

P.S. I just came upon a large supply of de-ionized water. This can be used for drowning those who do not pay their grammar tickets

sorry i was in a hurry now that you mention it though i got 1lb of barium nitrate to add to my half pound i hate th firefox restrictions i could have got strontium nitrate too but i have to go to ebay now which sucks.

I'm very happy right now, since I recies a nice package today with:

1 L HNO3 61.4 %,

1 L Methanol,

2 L Acetone,

400grams of Dextrine,

Some KClO3 and some KMnO4.

I just really don't know what to do with the KMnO4. It's not useable for flash and things, so does anyone know how I can use it in pyrotechnics in a safe and fun way ?

Actually i know KMnO4 is no good in pyro, but it was so dawn cheap i had to but it :) .

Bye, Yellowcard

Fire off your pyro show, then you could use the KMnO4 to start a fire with glycerine or whatever like on survivorman. Unless your buddies have seen the episode, it should impress 'em. Load it with wood and enjoy. For added effects toss in some CuSO4 or CuCl2. :)

I'm just finishing drying a batch of homemade barium nitrate,hopefully around 2 kg. Also made about 500g Strontium nitrate.

Rec'd 1 lb of Al (ebay,says 1600mesh but who knows?) with 1lb red gum, and some HNO3 on the way, almost stocked up for the long Canadian Prairie winter.

Ground and sieved my Ti from Boom2152 ,now have -10+20, -20+40 and -40mesh ready to go.

My 3" paper hemis are coming along too, I've been making them using the method on pyroguide. Slow process, but not bad while watching TV. I make 2 sets at a time a few times a week, by spring I should have 100-200 sets ready for use.

Gonna be a dad, first baby due in late Dec !!

Congrats Bonny!

Also if your going to be making that many hemis you should look into vacu-forming.

A word of warning about vacuu-forming. Be sure to pour the water out of the shop vac, and to remove the filter first, otherwise you eat the filter up and rust the inside of the shop-vac. Not that it's a first had experience or anything.

Congrats Bonny!

Also if your going to be making that many hemis you should look into vacu-forming.

Thanks. Will have some time before everything has to be securely locked up from curious hands that usually end up in mouths.

I'll have lots of time to look into the vacu-forming method as the mercury will be staying below 0C soon until March (never know with the strange winters the last few years though) and with the new baby probably won't be doing much snowmobiling :angry: so lots of time at home to work on projects :D

My 2 lbs. of Al came today and I'm happy about that. Next, I'll be buying some KCLO4 from Tweetybird $8 lbs. I don't really mind if its a little more expensive than other places, I like supporting the little guy, especially if he is a fellow pyro.

I am going to be testing out my new ball mill later tonight. It's not even close to being done, but it is functional. Can't wait.

Mormanman, what do you want perchlorate for? That hawkmountain aluminum is going to make a weak flash if that is your plan.

Mormanman, what do you want perchlorate for? That hawkmountain aluminum is going to make a weak flash if that is your plan.

I was more planning on stars or sparklers. But weak flash wouldn't bother me either, and my some thermite eventually.

Or KP.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Edit:

I went shooting today (sorry deadman) and it was awsome. I shot 7 1" aerail shells, a comet, a 2 stage fountain, a one stage fountain and some star mines.

I didn't take pictures. And bytheway deadman I save the 4" shell.

The monster Peltier commeth!

Also i went to the Renaissance fair yesterday... pretty much noon till closing... Got to see some glass blowing, metal forging, and metal casting... to reinforce what my DIY ideas are on all of them... Got to wear my kilt too...

Today i should hopefully be casting this 3000F cast-able refractory cement (Mizzou by AP Green Refractories)... should be enough for the furnace body and lid... barely... Despite having a ton of time to look around all i could find that closely fit what my idea was without being too big or too small with using a bucket inside a trash can for the mold... but the trash can is metal... and this is likely going to make things a bitch... BUT I'M DETERMINED!

Edit:

And there was a fireworks display at the fair... but it was all class C stuff due to space... and really after having seen such amazing class B shows... there was no comparison. Still whoever did it, did pretty good for just class C...

I went shooting today (sorry deadman) and it was awsome. I shot 7 1" aerail shells, a comet, a 2 stage fountain, a one stage fountain and some star mines.

I didn't take pictures. And bytheway deadman I save the 4" shell.

you are so lucky to have a launch site nearby and several experienced pyros in your area ;) i now know two pyros that i have met face to face but i either equal or way more advanced in knowledge so im kinda walking blind and i cant find a launch site within 60 miles of me so i hope to drive 6hrs on Wednesday if things work out.

you are so lucky to have a launch site nearby and several experienced pyros in your area ;) i now know two pyros that i have met face to face but i either equal or way more advanced in knowledge so im kinda walking blind and i cant find a launch site within 60 miles of me so i hope to drive 6hrs on Wednesday if things work out.

I'm lucky? Well, I guess, most people I tell about my pyrotechnics are aways like "Make me a B*%b! You make that stuff right?" and I'm like "Hell no. Back up." But other than that I can't drive so I have to find a ride with some of my friends.

The shoots kind of sucked b/c all of my mortars either burned or rupshered. But my TT comet was the best comet ever (b/c I made :D ). But it burn great. My 1" shells were cool too I just would like them to be bigger.

In a couple weeks I get to go on a double date and we're going shooting for the date. I'm making everything. I've already pressed/rammed two Al comets, rolled some Ti stars, rolled a 4" can shell, found three new mortars, and granulated some bp.

I'm planning on making a five stage fountain, a 4" shell (regular), a whole bunch of TT and fake D1 comets, a lot of 1" aerial shells, some more fountains, maybe a rocket, another 4" shell of shells like the one I'm saving, some star mines and maybe a wheel.

I also learnes something last night. I need to cut my fuses shorter and but more bp in my mortars. And also always bring a camera.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats. That's a good price for parlon.

First day of the month and I already sold a car. What a day.

***POST WHORE ALERT***POST WHORE ALERT***POST WHORE ALERT***

Yes, it is me post whoring. I really don't have much else to say other than:

Post 200! Finally not a "pyromaniac". For some reason I just don't like that term.

Finally not a "pyromaniac". For some reason I just don't like that term.

Yeah I understand that. It's hard enough for me to keep people informed that making fireworks is not the same as making bombs or pouring gasoline on everything I see. I hate it when people will describe me with the word pyro, since that puts on such a negative image. The maniac part doesn't help to much either. Anyone that has known me for any time at all will not call me that, but it still happens at times when I meet new people and the subject comes up. I am quick to correct them.

I know! It is every ones automatic reaction to think "bomb maker" when you say you make fireworks. I even have to correct the fiends I've known for a while because they still don't make the distinction.

I just got 40lbs of Potassium Chloride for like $10, i also found out that my local lowes sells Potassium Permanganate, even though it's not very usefull it's nice to know i can get it if i want it ^_^ .