APC Forum

Occasional Happiness

Draco_Aster

Does that mean either of you are fans of Leinenkugel? I must admit, I developed a taste for Leinie's Honey Wheat when I was working in Milwaukee and Oshkosh.

Of course, I may have just lowered your opinion of me as well... :huh:

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now you're speaking more my language qwezxc. I am a fan of Leinies Red, and a few others. Octoberfest, Original, and even Summer Shandy also find a welcome place in my stomach.

I'm also a fan of New Glarus Brewery, Capital Brewery, and a few others. Being in college, Miller products are staples for their cost effectiveness. I would however never voluntarily drink Natural Light or Milwaukee's Best Light(more affectionatly know as the Beast). For $35 a keg it's hard to go wrong in money making party scenarios.

I suppose I can forgive you this time hst. But just this time.

Speaking of beer. My roomate and I are considering giving some beer brewing a shot. My favorite type of beer happens to be hefeweizen, so it seems like a good place to start.

I decided it would be best to hold off my taunting of NASCAR and budweiser.  Though both combined are almost a bannable offense :)  Next thing you know he'll probably like the Chicago Bears and dairy products from California.

Hehe, when I saw hst's post, my first thought was, buttwiper as a symbol of america?! No wonder we get no respect, with representatives like Golly Gee Dub, nascrap and budweiser. America, the home of bland beer and bland racing. Straight lines and left hand turns! (drag racing and nascar)

Give me a beer with some body and flavor, something made without all that rice and artificial flavors. And some racing where the best cheater isn't always the winner.

I'll only drink light beer if it's free - and all the real stuff is gone. The alcohol % goes down an equal amount for the calories and flavor they remove. It's like drinking 32 beer. natty ice isn't bad for cheap beer, at least you don't get the miller headache.

Mumbles: hefeweizen is great stuff, I worked at a place with a microbrewery and the hefeweizen, hell all the bocks were great beers. I like anything that's a lager, can only drink wheat ales on the flip side.

Sent an order in just now for a nice complete 24/40 organic chemistry glassware set + 24/40 side gas inlet/vent thing... Its beautiful... I'll be able to do so many more things than i could do previously without having to improvise some weird apparatus just for it...

It + the gas inlet can essentially do:

Fractional (optional steam) distillation w/pressure equalized addition (via separator funnel + gas inlet/outlet) optionally under supplied forced inert gas atmosphere (optionally bubbled into the bottom of the flask) w or w/o vacuum... during a solar eclipse... with a bag of chips... this rhyme fits.

Just need to make some dependable clamps... instead of paying for the outrageously expensive lab ones... in what universe does 2 extension clamps + their mounting clamps cost as much as a 1000ml 3 neck flask? My god... its just some metal stuff... it should be like $1-3 per... with $3 being like what skylighter would charge if it sold them...

BUT i have hastily thought out some ideas on clamps that would be very easily DIY... especially with what i have... The part that clamps onto the bar on the stand would be aluminum or brass (more likely) extruded 3/4" to 1" wide 1/8" to 1/4" thick bar stock...it would be bent with heat into a triangle like arrangement and then cut and welded to itself to form a triangle... then a hole would be drilled and taped for whatever size bolt/wingbolt and a bar would be welded on to one of the sides for a clamp to be welded on... or another triangle piece would be welded on at a perpendicular angle and it would be just like the perpendicular bar clamps that sell for like $4+... as for clamps for the glassware i would likely find some metal (weak/adjustable) ones suitable to the use and coat the teeth section in that tool coating plastic stuff or gasket rubber or something... then weld it to a rod... so much cheaper...

Also i have seen quite a few very cool things listed on ebay recently... so im looking through a bunch of them... some look to good to be true... found a 3 neck 2L flask for like $7 "Buy it now" for instance...

God i hate having to have a crappy job sometimes... but god do i love having money.

Ok... off to bed... and dreaming up all sorta of things ill be able to make...

silentbob: if you're going to bend aluminum, get one of the hardened types - ie 6061-T6(51) or the 7075.. heat it until it turns a dull shade (and no more!) and let it cool, it will bend easily. Will self-harden in about 5-6 weeks, or you can heat it in an oven for like 12 hrs to do it quickly. If you don't already know this :)

I decided it would be best to hold off my taunting of NASCAR and budweiser.  Though both combined are almost a bannable offense :)  Next thing you know he'll probably like the Chicago Bears and dairy products from California.

Hehe, when I saw hst's post, my first thought was, buttwiper as a symbol of america?! No wonder we get no respect, with representatives like Golly Gee Dub, nascrap and budweiser. America, the home of bland beer and bland racing. Straight lines and left hand turns! (drag racing and nascar)

Give me a beer with some body and flavor, something made without all that rice and artificial flavors. And some racing where the best cheater isn't always the winner.

I'll only drink light beer if it's free - and all the real stuff is gone. The alcohol % goes down an equal amount for the calories and flavor they remove. It's like drinking 32 beer. natty ice isn't bad for cheap beer, at least you don't get the miller headache.

Mumbles: hefeweizen is great stuff, I worked at a place with a microbrewery and the hefeweizen, hell all the bocks were great beers. I like anything that's a lager, can only drink wheat ales on the flip side.

BOO you commie.

tentacles, buddy, what's the matter with ya? Were you scared at a young age by a REAL car? So maybe you're a ROAD racer; you've got your little toyota crapola all painted up with rallye stripes, lowered it down so it has maybe 3/32" ground clearance, put on those little tires that are about 5/8" thick, and put on the "performance" exhaust that makes it so loud if you listen really carefully you can actually hear the scream of that, what, 17 horsepower motor :P .

I'll stick with 600+ horsepower from a 355 cu.in. carburated V-8 motor, thank you. Tell 'em Tweetybird!

tentacles, all goodnatured ball-busting aside, you do make several good points. I'm hard pressed to fault any good bock or stout, and Sams summer ale on tap is exquisite. You mention the "miller headache". That's funny because I thought I was the only one for whom two miller lites means an instant trip to the couch. It's only the lite though, not the miller or MGD. Strange.

Ya i think ill go with brass... come to think of it i haven't seen any brass bars at the hardware store... hope they do infact have them... Might be forced to do aluminum which i don't have the equiptment to weld... so id have to bolt it to itself.. ish...

Well I'm stoked! I finally tested the mini-hybrid rocket engine that I built awhile ago. It achieved 16.22lbf with a burn time of 1.7 sec. Here is the video and thrust curve.

static test video

excel thrust curve

edit:

I just fixed the video.

tentacles, buddy, what's the matter with ya? Were you scared at a young age by a REAL car? So maybe you're a ROAD racer; you've got your little toyota crapola all painted up with rallye stripes, lowered it down so it has maybe 3/32" ground clearance, put on those little tires that are about 5/8" thick, and put on the "performance" exhaust that makes it so loud if you listen really carefully you can actually hear the scream of that, what, 17 horsepower motor :P .

I'll stick with 600+ horsepower from a 355 cu.in. carburated V-8 motor, thank you. Tell 'em Tweetybird!

tentacles, all goodnatured ball-busting aside, you do make several good points. I'm hard pressed to fault any good bock or stout, and Sams summer ale on tap is exquisite. You mention the "miller headache". That's funny because I thought I was the only one for whom two miller lites means an instant trip to the couch. It's only the lite though, not the miller or MGD. Strange.

lol - I never could see the point in big engine, straight line cars. Anyone with a foot can go fast in a straight line with a big engine. I have better things to spend my money on either way. I'd rather not make the petroleum dictators richer than I must.

MGD doesn't give me a headache so bad, it's standing to drink it that's the problem with that one. It reminds me of budweiser with a shot of formaldehyde or something. I'm not sure I could get two miller lites down, that stuff is death in a can. Always thought it was funny how keggers always have shit beer, too, when Michelob products are usually the same price as buttwiper, busch or MGD. A keg of Amber Bock anyone?

Happy and sad here...

My benzoate didn't get here yesterday or today from Discount pyro, but at least I got my perchlorate...

I got "my" mortars from Kastner today... Well not actually mine... Someone there mixed up a tag and I got (3) 2.5" mortars in the mail today instead of my assortment of 1-7/8, 2, 2.5, and 3"... So I guess I get 3 free 2.5" mortars (or at least 2, I don't know if they'll ship the one I actually payed for)...

My stars and black match are dry... Guess I'm going to make some 2.5" cylinder shells :D

Ya i think ill go with brass... come to think of it i haven't seen any brass bars at the hardware store... hope they do infact have them... Might be forced to do aluminum which i don't have the equiptment to weld... so id have to bolt it to itself.. ish...

I've got a couple of these type of clamps that I use for securing my flasks and condensers. The jaws open just wide enough to clamp down on a 24/40 joint. I bought mine from Pyrotek back when they were still in business, but these guys are quite cheap:

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/catalog/c...p_ce-clamp.html

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/images/381/200x225/ce-clamp.jpg

Yeah i have one of those, except it has 2 clamps going in opposite directions and attaches a little off center to whatever support rod. And i have one of the ring support clamps... maybe 4"dia... I need like 4-6 of that kind of clamp... except ill need a few to have wider openings for supporting condensers and columns and such.

That site looks to be about equal to the lowest prices i have seen. I wish that kind of equipment would be in greater demand so the price would go down.

Hmm... actually... i think i just thought up an even quicker partially commercialized adaptation... Electrical conduit hanger clips... like this:

http://images.orgill.com/200x200/1731256.jpg

With a square nut on the inside part and a hexagonal nut on the other side with partially threaded rod going through... you would have a adjustable support... just need to cushion/insulate it with something like electrical tape.

Or perhaps you could use these:

http://www.savko.com/portal/click-clamp.asp

They are pretty damn cheap... but plastic.

Or you could rig something up with bolts and this kind of perforated strap:

http://www.gardnerbender.com/Products/Cata...anger_Strap.jpg

Mom and pop stores are going to be cheaper than home depot. I have no idea when ill have time to go look at my nearby ace. they would take longer to undue... but in my experience when i set up clamps... i generally don't adjust them much for several hours...

Edit: Non-slip floor mat grip foam for grip/padding on clamps?

There was an article on my University's website...They are going to have a fireworks display on October 11th! They say "over 1000 shells" and "also mines, comets and special effects".

This is a big deal for us since we are such a small university. This will be the first fireworks display for Kettering University. I'll be curious to learn who is doing the display. Probably just some random company I've never heard of though.

But maybe this should be in the depression thread. If I get the co-op job (internship) that I've been pushing for, I will be in Chicago and I will totally miss it!

I guess either way I will be happy though. I've been trying to get into Argonne Labs for a year now!

Neat!

I'll have to ask around and see who is doing the display. The show is also supposed to be choreographed to music, which I suppose suggests right off the bat that these guys know what they are doing.

Then again, perhaps I shouldn't make those assumptions, given that there is always such a thing as "just barely" choreography...and/or crappy music!

Either way, I sure hope this is funded from the overpaid Execs and Admins and not tacked on to student tuition!

Most all "choreographed" shows I've seen are music playing the background, while they fire shells into the air that burst within about 10 seconds of a high point in the music. I much prefer just fireworks, no music.

It's probably from "segregated student fees" or sometihng like that. That funds all the student organizations here. Unless I am a member of about 15 organizations, it doesn't pay off.

Yeah, I too prefer "just-fireworks" as well compared to music which the show is only loosely "choreographed" to.

I'm impressed by "true" choreography though. Like:

and several other videos under the same youtube account. The way the strobe matches that Who song at the beginning just sends it over the top!

But I suppose "true" choreography is well beyond what my school is going to pay for a fireworks display!

Got my 1.75", 2", 2.5", 3" shells today... all plastic but 2" are paper... Also got 200 ft os 3mm visco... Tomorrow I get more mortars from Kastner... They are very very nice mortars...

Hopefully my Benzoate, Iron oxide, Stront. Nitrate, and other chemicals get here soon from Discount Pyro...

It must be the day to receive shell casings! I FINALLY got my order from Pyrocasings. I ordered a case ea of 4in and 6in. That's 250 4in shells and 100 6in shells. I also prepared for the future and ordered eight 8in shells to experiment with...I'm happy...

http://www.apcforum.net/files/IMG_1025.jpg

The mating lip on the male and matching recess on the female halves of the shells are much deeper than any other plastic shell I've seen from either Cannonfuse or Pyrocreations. This is the 6in:

http://www.apcforum.net/files/IMG_1030nSmallnnCustomn.jpg

They fit together like a glove...I'm totally impressed. His prices are so cheap, you can overlook the abysmal customer service (or lack thereof) in returning any email inquiries.

Today is a good day indeed... (still talking about the 18th)...

THE ORGANIC SET COMMETH! :D

... i took pics but i don't have time to upload them right now... But man... 24/40 parts are way bigger than i have been picturing in my mind... like 2/5ths bigger that i thought :blink: ... I'm so freaking happy! This completely makes up for the fact that ill be studying/homework/work for the next 2 weeks (quiting my job!)

So I'm happy to have less stuff i have to do.. but ill miss the money.. im going to have to be a conservative spender... but i have around $500 saved up now... about $70 for chems/fuse/etc... and ill add greatly to that over the remaining work days :) ...

I need to order some more casings too... i want to try to switch over to paper... but I'm lazy to an extent and busy right now -_- ...

Oh... and i also have a 3L 3 necked flask, vacuum gauge, and a hotplate/mag-stirrer on the way :D. Christmas is coming early B) .