APC Forum

Occasional Happiness

Draco_Aster

This isn't pyro related, but I'm happy that I FINALLY finished my homemade smoker. I've been screwing around talking about building this for a year but I finally got off my dead ass and got it done.

I took an old gas grill (free, from the dump), welded up a firebox underneath it (free scrap iron, scrounged from a jobsite), welded on a chimney (free, old exhaust pipe from my F-250), and made the worlds most butt-ugly redneck cold smoker. It's currently chugging away in the back yard, with a charge of beef jerky and various cheeses in mid-smoke. Deer season is coming, and deer jerky is the best. Except of course for moose, but I didn't draw a moose permit this year.....again... :(, but that should go in the occasional depression thead.....

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This isn't pyro related, but I'm happy that I FINALLY finished my homemade smoker. I've been screwing around talking about building this for a year but I finally got off my dead ass and got it done.

I took an old gas grill (free, from the dump), welded up a firebox underneath it (free scrap iron, scrounged from a jobsite), welded on a chimney (free, old exhaust pipe from my F-250), and made the worlds most butt-ugly redneck cold smoker. It's currently chugging away in the back yard, with a charge of beef jerky and various cheeses in mid-smoke. Deer season is coming, and deer jerky is the best. Except of course for moose, but I didn't draw a moose permit this year.....again... :(, but that should go in the occasional depression thead.....

Oh my goodness that makes my mouth water. You want to share. Please.

Oh.... that makes me hungry too... Venison jerky is sooooo good.... I made some peperjack venison in my dehydrator (not smoked), but damn that stuff was delicious...

I've never had moose jerky :(

I need to put on in Occasional Depression because I don't have any jerky now :) lol jk....

I'm happy because I'll be getting Dextrin, 8 lbs. of Perchlorate, and some other chemicals in about 3 days... (DP is finally going to ship Monday :))

Also happy because I have a few hundred feet of visco coming, lots of plastic\paper shells from Cannonfuse coming, and a bunch of HDPE pipes from Kastner coming....

Now all I need to do is keep milling Charcoal star mixes because I don't have any Strontium, Red gum, or Saran :(

Hey are you serous you've never made Dextrin. Man how much are you paying I bet I can beat the price unless your making some. PM me if you want to buy some and I need to know how much you're paying.

I am very occasionally happy today.  Things are going much better for me.

The forum is fixed, thanks again to Frogy.  My classes are going to kick ass. I have a super cool lab partner in chemistry.  I have organic chemistry lab.  There are lots of cute girls in my classes.  Most importantly I am home to work on my september fireworks, which if goes according to my brain are going to kick some ass.  I'm taking my mom with me to see my newest creations.  She's never seen me shoot anything larger than a 4".  I don't think I'm going to have anything under 4" for this one.

Are you an undergrad? For some reason I always imagined you as a middle aged guy! (Then again, Rodney Dangerfield went to college in that one movie as a middle aged guy).

I'm almost out of summer term at a year-round college. I get a week break before going to my co-op job (similar to an intern). That should be a nice break from all this annoying schoolwork. Heck, I can use my buy-back textbook money to buy fireworks! Have to get through finals first though!

My favorite activity as a physics student is harassing the chemistry students! I still don't know why the Chem department is bigger. I mean come on, Material Science, optics, and Quantum, and waves, are probably more important to nanotechnology than Chemistry ever will be! This is of course a completely pointless argument since nanotechnology is truly multidisciplinary, but it is fun to get into these little verbal battles with people!

Nope, I am definatly of normal college going age. This forum has a lot more younger members than anything else actually. Might just be the older guys don't want to dick around with "kids" all day. We have out elders though.

Funny you should mention the rodney dangerfield movie. It was filmed here.

I'm not going to get in an arguement with you over anything. It can easily be ended by a quick ban anyway, heh. I do like physics too, just not a fan of the math. I am going to end up having to take the advanced math courses anyway though. My teacher also comes off as a total cold hearted bitch. I'm thinking about doing Inorganic Chem, which is a lot more interlinked with physics than organic or anything like that.

I suppose it does make sense that the regular posters are probably not older guys, who would probably not be so fond of the kid-infested internet.

The Chem people in my school are pretty awsome, just not as awsome as physics ;). No intentions on starting anything, I was just recalling some of the interactions I had working on a project in the Environmental Chemistry lab a few months ago.

Some of the math is starting to intimidate me a bit, but it's all just differential equations. If I had only paid attention in that class, I would have been a lot better off! Unfortunately I was looking at the pretty fireworks on the back of my eyelids rather than at the board. I don't like to admit it, but I came dangerously close to failing that course!

That's pretty awesome about Rodney Dangerfield. Always loved his comedy.

Actually, sure. The reason I blitzed and got the smoker done is to make some goodies to take with me to the race in Loudon next weekend (road trip!) If anyone else here is going and wants to get together for beer, munchies and pyro chat, PM me.

Smoker update: I ran the thing for 12 hours, adding more charcoal and wood as needed. In the evening I topped it off and let it run all night. This morning before work I took everything out. The cheeses are very, very good, but the jerky needs to be finished in the dehydrator. I now have smoked cheddar, havarti, monterey jack, and pepper jack. I used oak for the wood smoke, which I love for ribs, but next batch I'm going to try some cherry for a more mild flavor. Updates to follow.

I just ate a Havarti and Black Forest ham croque-monsieur. Just thinking about a home-smoked Havarti makes me happy : ) and hungry again...

Very jealous of your smokey endeavours...

That sounds very good. I'm a big fan of smoked foods. Luckily I can go home to eat lunch during school so I can make real food now.

Actually, sure. The reason I blitzed and got the smoker done is to make some goodies to take with me to the race in Loudon next weekend (road trip!) If anyone else here is going and wants to get together for beer, munchies and pyro chat, PM me.

Smoker update: I ran the thing for 12 hours, adding more charcoal and wood as needed. In the evening I topped it off and let it run all night. This morning before work I took everything out. The cheeses are very, very good, but the jerky needs to be finished in the dehydrator. I now have smoked cheddar, havarti, monterey jack, and pepper jack. I used oak for the wood smoke, which I love for ribs, but next batch I'm going to try some cherry for a more mild flavor. Updates to follow.

You need to stop telling me this stuff. Not really but it sound like it is great. I hate cheese but that sounds like great cheese.

I wish I could go but I live in the U.S. not the U.K. It kind of sucks.

But still that sounds great.

I wish I could go but I live in the U.S. not the U.K.

Hey man, sorry I didn't explain myself more clearly, but the race is NASCAR in Loudon New Hampshire, USA. There isn't anything more American than that, with the possible exception of Budweiser, and I've got that covered too. Come on up! The jerky is in the dehydrator and it'll be done tomorrow. Salty snacks, cold beer, fast cars, scantilly clad tattoed women.....it's so like my dreams......

Hey when is the race and how much does it cost to get in. And no bear for me I'm under aged and Mormon.

hst45,

Are from NH? I've got family near Keene (Nelson, actually) and Boston. I'm in NY, but I routinely visit them...and stop into Atlas Fireworks in Jaffrey.

Did you go to the Jaffrey Festival of Fireworks? I missed it. It would be cool to meet up for a shoot or something. Do you belong to any clubs?

FWIW...Busch North and ARCA both rock. I used to be a SCCA member and race Solo I & II. Our region also did Black River Stages, a Club Rally and I flagged. Anyway, sorry for butting in... Have an awesome time at the race weekend :D

Oh BTW, you're a garage heater! (ain't Google great?)

http://web.inetba.com/heatersunlimited/images/heatstarHST.jpg

qwezxc12, what part of NY? I usually hunt the first week of New York deer season in Allegheny County on the family farm of some old friends. Going and coming is about the only time I get to the Monadnock region though.

I'm not in any pyro clubs, but if you're ever coming out this way PM me and we can get together and light something off.

I've seen that garage heater come up on a search before too, but it's no relation to yours truly.

More importantly, I ran the dehydrator last night, and the jerky is DONE! On a scale of 1 to 10, this is about a 9 :) . Bow season starts soon....deer jerky to follow, hopefully soon...

I'm not too far from the Syracuse area. I hunt on my parent's property in the West Canada Valley, north of the Mohawk river. I don't bow hunt, though. This is my deer gun: .454 Casull and Hornady 300gr. XTPs

http://www.apcforum.net/files/deergun.jpg

...got tired of lugging my 12ga through the brush. This way I get to keep my hands warm ;)

Enjoy your smoker!

Very nice rig. 1.5 power LER? What reticle? I can't hunt in New York with a handgun being an out-of-stater, but I do occasionally take the Redhawk out for a walk in the deer-woods around home, especially if I'm driving for someone else. The 700 gets heavy at the end of the day! The Redhawk's open sited, with 265 grn Hornady jacketed flat points over 22 grns of 296. My rig groups those better than the more traditional 240grn JHP's.

I have a new walking-around gun that will be logging some woods time this fall; I got a 50th anniversary .44 Blackhawk for my birthday (what a good wife :D ).

It's a 2x 28mm Weaver with a duplex-reticle. It got good reviews at Miday, so I grabbed it. I don't hand load (much to some of my friend's dismay...you can have only so many hobbies at one time and still hold down a job), but the factory Hornady loads group "good enough for government work"...and I agree, it's much lighter at the end of the day.

If your wife gives you firearms for presents, keep her!

Quoted for truth... :D lol

Now a wife that gives you firearms and chemicals... She's got to be up to something :ph34r: hehe

CannonFuse shipped my 200 ft. visco and tons of plastic shells today... And Kastner is shipping tomorrow... I believe Discount Pyro shipped my Perchlorate\Dextrin yesterday and my Sodium Benz, Iron Oxide, Stront. Nitrate, and other chemicals today...

We got some NASCAR fans here! Awesome. I'm a big fan of Clint Bowyer and Jamie McMurray.

I decided it would be best to hold off my taunting of NASCAR and budweiser. Though both combined are almost a bannable offense :) Next thing you know he'll probably like the Chicago Bears and dairy products from California.

Yeah, I really won life's lottery with her. I knew I had a "keeper" when we were young and had just moved in together, and she came home to find me with my RCBS reloader special press clamped to her coffee table, and me cranking out .38 special rounds and she didn't complain. No shit, ture story.

Mumbles, I throw myself on the mercy of the court to atone for my NASCAR/Budweiser faux-pas by begging for mercy on my record of being a grad of (name of college witheld on request of alumni association) College in Wisconsin. O.K., it was like 112 years ago , but I'm still a Packer fan, and I'll always have a fondness in my heart for Wisconsin because the first buck I killed was an eight pointer that I shoot near Baraboo in....uh.... well, lets say a while back. I have that head mounted in my gunroom, and it's still my most favorite trophy. Rednecks, we shoot what we like, and we hang the leftovers on the wall.........