APC Forum

Occasional Happiness

Draco_Aster

It should work fine, I myself have a 3" spiral wound tube that I've been using as a 3" mortar. No problems so far, especially with that nice thick wall.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where did you get it I want some? Come on share the love.

It all depends on where you live...I'm in the NE, so some Agriculture and Farm Supply places can get KNO3. However, many will not sell to a non-commercial account or someone who doesn't have a Tax ID#. For instance, LESCO, a lawn care company, has it, but it's a "restricted item"...you cannot have it shipped to you or pick it up, unless you're a commercial account. I checked many places, until I found a little farm supply store ~45 mi. away who would order it for me. They don't ship, so I have to go there to pick it up. All of the local places wouldn't or didn't have any...I needed to go a bit more rural than where I live.

In another thread, I believe you said you're 15, so you're probably out of luck if you want to buy some yourself. You'll probably need some face-to-face conversation with a manager or someone with enough authority to order it for you. All I can say is be clear on what you want. Don't ask if you can get some, "ummm...Saltpetre, ya know? I don't know what I need it for...my garden, maybe?"

I asked specifically for Green-house Grade, flowable Potassium Nitrate...either Champion or Haifa. What am I using it for? Well for my hydroponic tomatoes and basil, of course!

Good luck. Honestly, I didn't mind eBay prices until I started making lbs. of BP and 1500g batches of D1 glitter at a time. Then it started getting expensive.

Oh well, nothing really pyro related but i bought myself the most awesome game of all times.

Comand & Conquer: Tiberium wars :D

Set me back a good 40€ but well worth it :D

My post a few days back...

I got this 3 lb rocket motor with 5" ball shell that a friend made:

http://pyrotechnics.no-ip.org/files/dsc01808.jpg

And then I attached stick, kraft and label:

http://pyrotechnics.no-ip.org/files/dsc01812.jpg

Man, can't wait to fire this when I'm in summerhouse (guess neighbours would be pretty pissed if I fired this sucker at home)

Also the show I were at, I got these strands of 100m/sek Quickmatch that were cut-off the shells and were replaced by electrical ignition:

http://pyrotechnics.no-ip.org/files/dsc01813.jpg

I found a fairly pure source of THF(only contaminate is polyester resin). If you are interested in what the brand name is and I consider you to be a respectable member I will pm the source(please don't spread it around to much)... Moderatly expensive i guess ~470ml/16oz for $6. I have a minor issue though. I don't have 3,5 di-tert-butyl-4-hydroxytoluene (BHT) or Butylated hydroxyanisole(BHA). Can I store the THF under ascorbic acid with moderate safety?

EDIT: http://www.basf.com/diols/pdfs/thf_brochure.pdf

mentions that the BHT slows down peroxide formation while reducing agents/alkaline destroy the peroxide. But still I am curious if ascorbic acid would be an acceptable subsitute.

I've always heard to use Ferrous sulfate to prevent peroxide formation. It will reduce them as they are formed. It's the same process to purge your chemicals of peroxide, I believe a few drops of H2SO4 are added during the purging process to speed it up a bit.

Just wondering why you would expect Ascorbic Acid to work. It is in no way similar to BHT. Is it just because it's an anti-oxidant?

I've always heard to use Ferrous sulfate to prevent peroxide formation. It will reduce them as they are formed. It's the same process to purge your chemicals of peroxide, I believe a few drops of H2SO4 are added during the purging process to speed it up a bit.

Just wondering why you would expect Ascorbic Acid to work. It is in no way similar to BHT. Is it just because it's an anti-oxidant?

Ahh thanks...

Yeah that was my kind of rationale there... I guess not all anti oxidants work the same way? :(

It might work, I really have no idea actually. I was just wondering what the rationale behind it was.

OK well I'm happy b/c I got a piece of Mg and 105 .5 cal. lead musket balls for my mill and all of it was like 17 bucks.

How big is that hunk of Mg? I got myself a slightly used Formula wheel that is Mg, I cut some of it up last night and FrankRizzo and I made up about 5.5# of 49/51 MgAl. I plan on selling 5# of it soon. Gotta grind it up and sieve it out. Anybody got suggestions on what granulation to target? I was thinking 100-200 mesh and 200 and finer.

I'd imagine if he got them from the same store, he defiantly was in a supermarket of sporting goods store

So I'd bet 105 .5 cal lead balls and a small Magnesium Fire-starker block... I haven't measures one yet, but they are pretty light and damn high purity from what I can tell..

They're little magnesium blocks that are made so that when you scrape them with a knife you get like 20 mesh Mg and on the other side is a flint strip that you spark with your knife onto the magnesium to start it... It's really reliable for starting fires =)

Here's a pic

http://www.wildernessadventures.net/magfirestarter.jpg

That website says it weights 2oz... So with the flint strip and chain added, probably about 1.5oz of magnesium total if their measurements are even accurate...

Frogy do you know how pure VW engine blocks are? I read that they were Mg.

And yeah you got that right on the head.

It matters which cars I guess... Because I know some\most of the newer ones use Aluminum blocks, but I believe they are right on them using magnesium before...

OK. Well like two days ago I made some Mg/KNO3 flash and some Mg/calcium carbonate flash and I must say, "Wow." I guessed on the measurement b/c my scale blows but still. The Mg/KNO3 flash was more pretty than the Mg/calcium carbonate flash. The Mg/KNO3 flash was all like sparkle sparkle. And the Mg/calcium carbonate flash was like poof with some sparkle. It was great but now I don't know what to do with it. I'm not making a ground salute so don't even suggest that and I blows that I can't shoot off any aerial shells b/c I would be make so many.

I got a question for all you guys and don't take my idea. My idea is for all the guys that can't by hemi's and plastic shells. So I want to make a topic in the pyrotechnics thread for canisters. What do you say? Is it to much under the same topic of the Aerial Shell topic? I think that its an ok idea. But I don't want to take up space on the forum for something thats just going to get locked up.

Any sort of dentistry would never go in the occasional happiness thread. All they do is stab me in the gums with sharp metal object until I bleed, and then proceed to tell me I need to floss more.

Well my teeth are shiny and smooth, that's a thing to be happy about :D + the dental assistant that was sand blasting my teeth was cute ^_^

Any sort of dentistry would never go in the occasional happiness thread. All they do is stab me in the gums with sharp metal object until I bleed, and then proceed to tell me I need to floss more.

Lol thats the same things that happens to me :rolleyes:

My dentist goes to my church :blink:

Lol was it sand blasted? or one of those drills that they put fine pumice on...

Any sort of dentistry would never go in the occasional happiness thread.  All they do is stab me in the gums with sharp metal object until I bleed, and then proceed to tell me I need to floss more.

Lol thats the same things that happens to me :rolleyes:

My dentist goes to my church :blink:

Lol was it sand blasted? or one of those drills that they put fine pumice on...

Oh no, sand blasted for real, the blasted something really fine grained into my mouth, it tasted of oranges :ph34r: , i almost choked on the stuff, yuck.

So choking on orange dust makes you happy because you had a hot dentist? lol

I like oranges :D

So choking on orange dust makes you happy because you had a hot dentist? lol

I like oranges :D

Haha, having nice smooth and shiney teeth makes me happy :D

• 2 weeks later...
Yay. I just bought 50 1"x 4" tubes, 25 1" plastic shells (don't laugh I know they're small), and 100 ft of visco for $28.45. Something like that. Shipping and everything. The shipping was only $6.50, Cannon fuse was like $10. I got mine for pyrocreations. And its still not my birthday but I had to pay for this.

I finally have all the stuff I need to do a static test of my mini-hybrid rocket engine so I'm happy about that.

I am very occasionally happy today. Things are going much better for me.

The forum is fixed, thanks again to Frogy. My classes are going to kick ass. I have a super cool lab partner in chemistry. I have organic chemistry lab. There are lots of cute girls in my classes. Most importantly I am home to work on my september fireworks, which if goes according to my brain are going to kick some ass. I'm taking my mom with me to see my newest creations. She's never seen me shoot anything larger than a 4". I don't think I'm going to have anything under 4" for this one.