APC Forum

A presentation in the laboratory

Rocket007

Taking on the theme of “rockets” and “space exploration” we continue “building our rocket”. This demonstration illustrates the principle behind the rocket’s attitude correction motors where the mixing of two liquids produces spontaneous combustion and a jet of gases. The fuel used in real rockets is unsymmetrical dimethyl hydrazine. However I strongly recommend to leave this chemical to the professionals (maybe try later). I employ much safer “fuel” - aniline.

The reaction between aniline and NO2 give only gaseous products:

8 C6H5NH2 + 62 NO2==> 48 CO2 + 28 H2O + 35 N2

However, in practice, the combustion is incomplete and quite a lot of soot (carbon) is produced. If the facilities permit, aniline can be substituted for pure anhydrous methyl hydrazine (which is relatively safe to handle) - in this case essentially no soot is formed.

This experiment is very dangerous and should be attempted only by persons who are, not only competent chemists, but also are experienced chemistry demonstrators. Apart from the explosion hazard, nitrogen dioxide is very poisonous. I will present this demonstration only in the institute where there is an efficient fume extraction system.

PS:Which experiment do you do or will do ( somethink easier?)

LP,ROK ;)