APC Forum

Quick match

Rocket007

nice:D have you got a video how it burn ?? maybe??

LP :D

It burns exactly like.... quickmatch. His is just like commercial QM, or my QM, or anyone elses QM. Stickymatch has it's place, mainly in lancework, but trust me, if you ever handfire a show, you do not want to be around a blizzard of molten adhesive tape bits. It's not hard to make quickmatch properly, as Al93535 shows there, and well worth the time.

I've never made a long enough single length of QM to test the burn speed actually, has anyone here ? I am just guessing, it goes up at about 30-50 feet per second ?

It burns too fast for me to be able to see the flame front. I've heard figures of around 200ft/sec for good commercial stuff. If any of you have ever used the flat fuse I can believe it. I picked up a couple of rolls of the flat blue stuff by Pyroformex, and all I have to say is daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. A foot burning explodes the casing sounding like a firecracker.

I'll get around to posting a tutorial on my way of making the quickmatch tube. I usually do 2 foot segments, but theres no reason you couldn't go longer. Pretty easy, fast, and it comes out water proof.

• 1 month later...
Nice, I make sticky match but with granulated BP, It's as fast as QM and much easier to make..

I do the same. I use my fastest BP + a few % dextrin, riced through -16 mesh screen. I use a large size condiment squeeze bottle with the nozzle trimmed to the right size to dispense the BP.

Lay BP in a thin trail down the middle of 1" wide high-tack masking tape and pinch closed. The pulverone keeps enough air space to rapidly propagate the flame down the "pipe". I insert visco about 1/4" into the tape to light...once the visco hits the stickymatch, ignition is instantaneus down the length.

I have a friend help me and we can make 50 ft in 20 minutes or so. It's great because its made in continuous lengths and can be coiled up in stored in a ziplock bag.

Here are a pile of 1-1/4" star mines fused and ready to go:

http://i14.tinypic.com/4ctiu8l.jpg

The one on the far right has normal masking tape stickymatch from a previous batch. I use the same green high-tack tape to close the mines up, too.