APC Forum

Can't make charcoal anymore, any suggestions?

itwasntme

Hi, I used to make charcoal on my gas grill, but a fucking squirrell chewed through the rubber tubing and it leaks now so I can't make charcoal anymore. I don't know what to do now and just figured out how to make some good BP(coffee grinder :rolleyes:) I pressed some of it in my vice and it's not even done drying but shot a peice of dowel almost as good as Goex 3FG. I can't do that anymore now, because of lack of charcoal. I've read something about setting a fire in the tin and letting it burn, but have doubts about that(ash, fire going out, and neighbors). I used to have a small charcoal grill, but don't want to use that because my neighbors hate me enough as it is and lighting a grill with a huge lighter fluid flame is going to get the fire department here, again.

I'd like to make some BP again. I tried garden charcoal that I've had for a while, but it sucked. Anything I could do, and about how to make the BP with it? Can't get my harbour frieght rock tumbler thing right now as I spent my money on my sister's birthday party. Thanks for any help

Here is the method I use to make charcoal. It works great for my black powder, but the setup does make a little bit of smoke. There isn't much flame on it, I wouldn't imagine anybody reporting a tiny fire like this. I just take 1-2 inch thick branches of black willow wood (with the bark cut off) and cut it into 1/2 inch slices and throw it in the tin. Just make sure the slices aren't stacked up, but randomly placed in the tin so there are spaces in between the chuncks of wood. But I would try to invest in a ball mill when you can, it is well worth it :D

These are some great ideas on charcoal making. I'm going to try the paint bucket as my baking tin. All I have to do now is find some freakin willow. Thanks for that great link!

I suggest going to the hardware store and shelling out the $3 for a new tube for the grill. It is the most economical option, and obviously the grill keeps the neighbors from complaing. The method has obviously also worked for you in the past. Or you could take h0lx' advice, and use duct tape, on the hose.

I suggest going to the hardware store and shelling out the $3 for a new tube for the grill. It is the most economical option, and obviously the grill keeps the neighbors from complaing. The method has obviously also worked for you in the past. Or you could take h0lx' advice, and use duct tape, on the hose.

Mumbles, I looked into the tube thing thinking it was $3 from your post, it's a cheap ass grill so the parts are hard to get and it's $50 plus shipping from china! I put some pipe tipe from the hardware store on it(not the white teflon tape) and ductaped it up a lot. I made some charcoal with it and it seemed ok, I just turn the valve off when not in use. Thanks for the replys anyway.