APC Forum

Need "dark" stage composition

G*K

I was wwondering what compostion is used for a dark stage star.

I have seen "Purple dark purple" peonies that break like a purple peony, then appear to go out for maybe 0.5 second, then turn back on.

The composition really is pretty dark, like a high quality strobe.

but it isn't a single comp (very slow strobe) because there are red-dark-green shells.

Beyond the comp how is the mechanics affected i.e. is duration of the dark stage a fuction of the thickness of the 'dark' comp, or, of the formula of the comp....

Apologies if this subject has been covered ...I looked

Thanks

G*K

Changing Relay #1

Source: Shimizu[1], page 187

Comments: This type of composition is put between two color layers in a star to create the illusion that all the stars change their color clearly and simultaneously in spite of slight deviations in manufacture.

Preparation:

Potassium perchlorate.............................35

Potassium nitrate.................................35

Hemp coal (or Paulownia coal).....................24

Soluble glutinous rice starch.....................6

Changing Relay #2

Source: Shimizu[1], page 187

Comments: This type of composition is put between two color layers in a star to create the illusion that all the stars change their color clearly and simultaneously in spite of slight deviations in manufacture.

Preparation:

Potassium perchlorate.............................81

Red gum...........................................13

Soluble glutinous rice starch.....................6

Shimizu Dark Relay

Potassium Nitrate 75

Charcoal Airfloat 8

Potassium Perchlorate 7

Antimony Trisulfide, Chinese needle 3

Red Gum 2

Total: 95

SGRS can be replaced by dextrin if you want. The hemp or paulownia coal is charcoal. The first two also double as primes, while the second one is not specifically listed as a prime though. No idea about the burn speed.

• Like 1

So only the thirth one is completly dark?

The first 2 are just lighter?

And soluble glutinous rice starch, is it the same as rice starch?

I know I can use dextrin, but I was just wandering, I can buy rice starch right of the shelfs. Would same me 2 hours making dextrin every time :D

The first one is dark. I've used this in double petal shells where the outer petal comes on late. I never really noticed a tail or trace of those stars in the air, it's pretty dark. I use the second one for color changing stars. The third one works pretty well but I have noticed a slight tail from them. It's very dim but it's there.

No, rice starch is not the same as soluble glutinous rice starch, and they are not interchangable.

I've personally never tried any of them. From what I gather is that they will all work. They won't actually burn completly dark on the ground. I've heard it's just like a smouldering red, or a very weak flame. The first two may be faster burning, like just a quick lapse in color to give an illusion of closer color change symetry.