APC Forum

Mg filling very warm!!!??

Cherbanov

i made my self some BP+Mg filling stars. but wen i mixed the BP with Mg there was some greate heat. is it the Mg that reacts with the water in the BP wen it wet??? the stars self dried in about 15min. i thout that the stars was going to self egnite :o , please tell wath happend so i dont blow my self to bits wen i am mixing magniseum and BP

Yup, the magnesium reacted with water, this is an exothermic reaction so heat is released.

The Mg needs to be treated with linseed oil or K-dichromate prior to beeing used in composition containing ammonium perchlorate of water.

...wen i mixed the BP with Mg there was some greate heat. is it the Mg that reacts with the water...

First of all, water can never ever be used as a solvent for compositions containing magnesium, no matter how you try protect the metal!

Secondly, please do something about your spelling and grammar!

I cant do that crazy swede, i cant just go a crash course on eng, I now I suck, but they understand wath i mean so I am happy

Yes, but that doesn't mean you can't work on it. Were not saying overnight you have to speak perfect english. Your posts are often agrevating at best to try to read and understand. We know you're foreign, so we cut you some slack, but that won't last forever. You could at least start by capitalizing the first words of the sentences, and using periods. That is a step in the right direction. You will pick up other spelling things and such over time as well I hope.

I will try to get my eng right but it is hard for me to learn

First of all, water can never ever be used as a solvent for compositions containing magnesium, no matter how you try protect the metal!

False. Not true. If your Mg is treated with Dichromate, and you use a solution of water that is treated with Dichromate, you can get away with.

We make our strobe stars this way, and use Dextrin as the binder with a Water/Alc solution.

With that said, I would not recommend this method to beginners.

...With that said, I would not recommend this method to beginners....

That is my point!

I would never advice people here methods that can go wrong if you don't understand the whole picture.

Try what happens if you mix magnesium treated with dichormate with barium nitrate and water! There will be a reaction and for some reson this danger is not commonly known amongst pyros!

Edit: Sorry, I got this last part wrong. What can happen is that if a dichromate only is added loose in the composition, rather than treating the magnesium powder separately, soluble barium compounds can form insoluble bariumchromate if water is added. This will severely decrease the protective effect of the added dichromate and thus make the composition instable.

And, I agree that water CAN be used in some cases, if the magnesium powder is treated well and no agressive chemicals is present, but I never do it myself!

Edited by Crazy Swede

My magnesium is strange, it is supposedly a 99.9 printing plate percent but even when i add tiny tiny particles to water it doesnt fizz. But even large mesh sizes (think small chips) provide flash powder. Every thing i know says it is magnesium except it wont displace hydrogen in water (fizzing). Maybe the printing plate was treated with something?

My Mg does that as well(from a anode). I don’t know if I had it in the water for a too shorter amount of time or what. Maybe it needs a oxidizer in with it to speed up the reaction.

Yeah, i'm not sure what it is. I am pretty sure it is treated with something. But it makes very reactive flash. Since its from a printing plate they mightve coated it as to not react with ink or anything. (i know shit all about printing) And this is the first time ive posted in forever, i never post, just read :D ah well, time to start i guess.

Edit: Where did you get your magnesium from rocket?

I get my Mg from heat water unite sacrificial anodes. There pretty oxidized but a wire brush will remove it nicely. Most of the time I take them out there is no Mg left its really a hit and miss.

I got my mg from cable protection anode, the weight is about 5kilograms so i dont need to look for mg for a while :)