APC Forum

Easiest way to make Rocket nose cones ?

h&k machineguns

I was needing to make a bunch and was wondering the cheapest ,and fastest way of doing so.

Any intrustions floating around out there on the net on how too's ?

I am even considering buying a mini lathe and doing some out of 1.25"+ wooden dowls in 2"-3" lengths.

I just need them for one time use,so I don't want to have to much time and $$ into them.

Hollow nose cones would be nice,but solid will do .

Great idea guys thanks. I had been folding paper and gave up. I can't believe I hadn't thought of this before.I must have had a brain fart...LOL.

I think I may buy some and experament a little. I will try and fill one with spray foam,then cut when dry on a chop saw. I may also try dipping the outside in fiberglass resin to also give it a little more stability. Or I may do both of the above. Either way it's cheaper and faster than producing wod ones on a pen lathe I'd have to buy.

Look at the tutorial thread I posted on how to make rocket headings from cone cups. They work great and can be adapted to a variety of tube diameters. Maybe I should have patented this idea. Anyway check out the tutorial and feel free to experiment with the basic design. Give credit where credit is due!

Great idea guys thanks. I had been folding paper and gave up. I can't believe I hadn't thought of this before.I must have had a brain fart...LOL.

I think I may buy some and experament a little. I will try and fill one with spray foam,then cut when dry on a chop saw. I may also try dipping the outside in fiberglass resin to also give it a little more stability. Or I may do both of the above. Either way it's cheaper and faster than producing wod ones on a pen lathe I'd have to buy.

Don't let them fool you. This is my idea and I posted the tutorial to introduce it to the forum. I'm not egotistical but I feel that the person who comes up with an original idea should get some mention when the idea is proliferated to the rest of the forum. Check out the tutorial and have fun with it.

Don't let them fool you. This is my idea and I posted the tutorial to introduce it to the forum. I'm not egotistical but I feel that the person who comes up with an original idea should get some mention when the idea is proliferated to the rest of the forum. Check out the tutorial and have fun with it.

Thanks for the heads up. I think however I'd like to cut the cone were it needs to be cut then dip it in fiberglass resin. Seems this would be a very fast way of doing what I'm tryingto achieve.

I'm thinking of starting to roll my own tubes for rocket bodies though. I may continue to buy the tubing for the motors though.

I had never looked at that part of the forum until you pointed it out to me.

Are you building model rockets or display skyrockets? It sounds like your building your own rocket motors if you are purchasing tubes. There is lots of good information on how to roll your own tubes on the forum. Sorry if I got a bit edgey there guys.

Well an "original" idea is one that nobody else has ever had. Pretty hard to imagine you are the first person to think of these cups. Especially since I have been making nose cones out of them for years, probably longer than you have been alive. Sorry couldn't resist...

No problem. I just hadn't seen this idea posted on any other pyro forums or seen it mentioned on other web sites. The possibilities for different designs using the cups is myriad. I'm going to try making a double break heading soon. Oh and by the way you will have to be over fifty to have lived longer than me. LOL

Are you building model rockets or display skyrockets? It sounds like your building your own rocket motors if you are purchasing tubes. There is lots of good information on how to roll your own tubes on the forum. Sorry if I got a bit edgey there guys.

I found this on another site.

http://www.jamesyawn.com/modelrocket/bodytubes/index.html

Eventually when I'm able to actually make a successful 4 once whilstle rocket,I plan on installing them in little homemade rocket bodies with cones and fins that will already be pre assembled before the motor goes in them.. Probably not over 10" long overall length though.

Thats a great site. I'm planning on making some missles with a diplay payload and that design should work perfectly. There is a tutorial on rolling tubes from manilla folders on the forum so I'll try those for the rocket bodies. Looks like a good project to try for NewYears eve. Thanks for the link.

• 2 weeks later...

I make BP display rockets ranging from 1-2" every year and got tired of paying for bulk rocket nose cones for the bigger ones. Hell, these are just single shots anyways.

For 1" rockets, which I guestimated breach over 1/2 mile vertical, I still buy the bulk nose cones because they are still pretty cheap, and allow the most speed and altitude. I tried spray painting the 1" rocket nose coes day-glo colors in an attempt to recover some of them the day after the fourth, but two hours of hunting I only found one about a quarter mile away and gave up.

For bigger diameter rockets plastic nose cones got expensive, so I started using bulk plastic easter egg shells I get from a local discount store. While not as aerodynamic as a pointed nose cone, they are better than a blunt tip and obviously durable once epoxied to the body.

I never thought of the paper cup idea. My bigger rockets aren't moving that fast anyways, and I like the idea of an entirely bio-degradable rocket. Good tip - thanks guys.

I just rolled up a 7" long 3/4" ID body tube for my display missile using the manilla folder. It works great! you get a very stiff light weight tube. I used regular elmers carpenter glue thinned with a bit of water. So far I've constructed the tube and motor assembly by just gluing a 4" long 3/4" OD rocket motor into one end of the tube. I've also made a piece of quickmatch that runs up the center of the tube to transfer the flame from the motor to the header. I'm using a variation of the cone cup header. Now all I need is to add the fins and assemble the whole thing. I will try to post some pics as soon as I can borrow a digital camera.