APC Forum

Please Post VIDEO'S if you got em .

h&k machineguns

I don't get an effect anything like that from my straight benz rocket, but I'm using strobe tooling. Also, my 3lb'ers don't last nearly as long. Very nice rockets!

I just started putting these on you tube. Here you go:

I know it's old now but those were some really cool moaning with report rockets.. Thumbs up from me.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting it!! Its always fun to watch his rockets. Did you know that cplmac is making a 30 gallon ball mill? I bet you cant guess what he is going to be milling in that big mother?

I can see him launching 24# rockets some day :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
4" to 6" is a big jump. You'll want to do some lifting tests first. A 4" ball shell weighs probably 300-350g maybe. A 6" shell can easily weigh in at 1100-1300g.

yeah I'll definetly be doing some payload testing before I go a 6inch,my tooling can lift up to 1500g with the right fuel,it's the tooling from pyro-stuff freakydutchman showed us a video of them launching a 6inch double petal,I had a 1lb with a 3inch shell go horizontal on me and belted into a tree,so I changed my catalyst from iron oxide to copper oxychloride that sorted that out.on my first shells I usually use light charcoal stars to keep the weight of the shell to a minimum and I hide behind something solid so the only real hazard is the fire hazard.

OK just a WTTW if you're gonna share your videos: disable Auto-Focus on your camera. Set Manual Focus to Infinity then bring it in slightly.

The erratic heat signature of pyro thoroughly fuks with the infra-red bounce of a video camera's auto-focus mechanism (in case you're wondering why so many pyro videos on yutoob look like they were shot by the same 2-year-old).

If you can't disable Auto-Focus on your camera get a better one or use your cell phone.

yeah I thought it was on manual focus but it goes back automatically when you turn it off,I played around with it for awhile and figured it all out now,should I focus it on the fuse burning until it's nice and clear do you think it would still focus the same when the shell breaks in the air.

Hey jimbo it's the header you want to see in your video after all that work you put into it; we all know what the fuse looks like.

Both my digital videocams have a button you can hit that will shoot the focus out to infinity.

If your model doesn't have the infinity button, just look at the indicator in the viewfinder and focus out to infinity. The universal symbol for that is a little icon of a mountain.

Anything farther out than about 80' the camera sees as "infinity" and that's your best setting for aerial pyro.

o.k,I can set to infinity but it seems blurry thats why I wanted to focus on the fuse burn to get the range but I'll set it all the way out and back it off a bit and try what you said.

Nothing a hundred feet out or so should look blurry when focus is set to infinity.

If you focus on the fuse and leave it, almost instantly the rocket's gonna be out of focus.

If there's a light somewhere off in the distance where you're shooting (assuming it's nighttime, right?) try focusing on that and just leave it and see if your aerial bursts don't come out in perfect focus.

ok,thanks for your help mate.

A while ago I bought the Skylighter 4oz rocket kit (for a much better price than it costs now). This is a video of a couple of rockets made with that kit. The first one was made according to the instructions - 60:30:10 using the supplied chemicals, mixed with a 40 mesh screen according to the instructions. The second one was made with the same fuel, but ball milled. Both rockets were identical in construction and weight. The second one had some experimental stars that failed to light, but that's a different story. See what a difference ball milling makes.

http://www.pyrobin.c...es/2rockets.avi

Edit to provide

(easier) Edited by Peret

Hey Peret, I too have noticed the fuel's way weak if made as per the skylighter instructions. (Ended up having to spike mine by 1/3 with some hotter BP.

Curious: how long did you ball mill your BP? And did you rice it afterwards or just ram it as milled powder?

Thanx. And hey thanx for the kool vids. Looks like the Mojave. What a glorious spot to test pyro.

Hey Peret, I too have noticed the fuel's way weak if made as per the skylighter instructions. (Ended up having to spike mine by 1/3 with some hotter BP.

Curious: how long did you ball mill your BP? And did you rice it afterwards or just ram it as milled powder?

Thanx. And hey thanx for the kool vids. Looks like the Mojave. What a glorious spot to test pyro.

I ball mill it about 2-3 hours, and I did rice it afterward, but it's still dusty. Seeing how fast the milled powder takes off, it's probably about as strong as I dare make it and I wouldn't use a fast charcoal like willow, just standard commercial airfloat. I made some with a different fuel that I found in Hardt, that gives a nice silver tail -

Potassium nitrate - 60

Charcoal - 22

Sulfur - 10

Aluminum flake, 20-30 mesh - 8

First three ingredients ball milled 3 hours, then the milling media removed and the aluminum tumbled in for 5 minutes. I didn't rice this and it's very dusty, but I think it's my favorite fuel.

There was one unmilled rocket even more pathetic than the first one, that didn't leave the ground at all. It sat there and melted through the tape holding the launch tube, then leaned over sideways - fortunately away from me! - and blew its easter egg header on the ground. As a consolation prize, I could collect the debris and confirm that the egg fragmented nicely. But all the rockets with milled powder took off like bullets and Mrs P, who was filming, couldn't move the camera fast enough to catch them. I recovered a couple of them and the bentonite nozzles were still in good shape.

I can't see the vid,only hear the sound and a techno looking screen.

Peret: "I ball mill it about 2-3 hours, and I did rice it afterward . . . "

Sweet; thanx P for that tip. Before I forget: jimbo my experience was same as yours (audio only) then I noticed it was an .avi vile. What worked for me was to rename it an .mpg file.

And P you mentioned the missus wasn't able to keep up with the speed of your better rockets; here's a trick that works for me:

Don't try to look through the viewfinder or at the LCD screen; lay the camera against your cheek and hold it firm and start recording. As your head tilts up to watch the rocket rise the camera will move with you and "see" pretty much whatever your eyes see.

(And of course keep that focus set to Infinity).

The video is an mpeg4, as I recall. I use VLC Media Player (free) and never give the format a second thought because it plays everything, from DVDs straight from the disk down to .flv files.

Don't try to look through the viewfinder or at the LCD screen; lay the camera against your cheek and hold it firm and start recording. As your head tilts up to watch the rocket rise the camera will move with you and "see" pretty much whatever your eyes see.

I'll have her try that. Maybe that will fix the other common problem - when I fire a particularly magnificent shell, the camera follows the burning quickmatch leader as it arcs out of the mortar, and totally misses the break. :wacko:

> Maybe that will fix the other common problem - when I fire a particularly magnificent shell, the camera follows the burning quickmatch leader as it arcs out of the mortar, and totally misses the break.

Sounds like you might be trying to zoom. A wide-field is the better view to capture aerial fireworks. Then you can "zoom" in post when you're editing.

• 4 months later...