APC Forum

Please Post VIDEO'S if you got em .

h&k machineguns

Excellent ! What was that rising comet, I see others asking about it too. On video it sure looked nice, it had an almost "red white & blue" look to it ?

Wow, very nice shell cplmac. There was nothing quiet about that one. Loud shot and break. Was that tail commercial?

Yup, Ace Pyro was kind enough to provide me with a bag of 1.5" breaking glass comets to test, I figure what better way to get a good look at them than as a rising tail on a shell.

All 4 videos were great, Mac!

That step whistle took off like a bat outta hell. Hard to hear the last two steps. The rest were impressive, to say the least. Were you testing that chlorate whistle for a future 3-stager?

FreakyDutchMan posted a video on pyrobin of a 3lb whistle to lampare header. Very nice job on it, short burning rocket but it kept the effect low.

Dutch if you read this post some construction info on that header would ya.

Wow that was the all fammous breaking glass comet. It doesnt look at that had of an effect to replicate.

Here is a video of an on-off rocket I made for the 4th, I really dont like the video quality but it was a nice rocket:

http://pyrobin.com/files/s4024173.avi

Edited by psyco_1322

All 4 videos were great, Mac!

That step whistle took off like a bat outta hell. Hard to hear the last two steps. The rest were impressive, to say the least. Were you testing that chlorate whistle for a future 3-stager?

Thanks! I actually built that motor into a three stager, but I fired off another chlorate rocket a little earlier and it CATO'd so I got nervous and pulled it off the three stager and just fired it off as a two stager. Then wouldn't you know it the motor was fine. I'm glad I pulled it off though, it's hard to tell in that video but that motor pushed so hard I'm pretty sure it would have torn that rocket to pieces.

psyco nice rocket! I made one with a lot of steps last fall but I ran into a problem with visual separation between the BP and whistle steps, so I went with larger steps this time and only got a few out of it. It's a really cool effect though and really easy to make, nice job with that it sounded great. And that breaking glass comet was only a 1.5" comet, in 3 and 4" it really is a beautiful comet. Probably not the most complicated formula, but the Al is not an off the shelf Al, if you figure out that formula please let me know.

Edited by cplmac

FreakyDutchMan posted a video on pyrobin of a 3lb whistle to lampare header. Very nice job on it, short burning rocket but it kept the effect low.

Dutch if you read this post some construction info on that header would ya.

Thanks psyco_1322.

It was more a test for my rocket engine, instead of water in the bottle I've putted some gasoline in the bottle. It was a 500ml bottle, pretty thin walls.

The engine burned a bit short beacause of the fast fuel, 76:24 insted of the 70:30 I've made before.

On top of the fuel I glued a piece of karton with a piece of blackmatch trough it, 7.5 grams of kclo3 / GD flash (70:30) and added about 2.5 grams of 8/10 mesh Ti sponge. On top of the engine also glued a piece of karton and then simply taped the bottle on top of the engine.

The rocket flew about 100 meters high. For a 4" header it should go a little bit higher.

The rocket we're talking about: 3lb wistle to lampare header

This simply proves a lampare doesn't really need 140 grams or 5 ounces of flash, the Ti does the trick I think.

Edited by FREAKYDUTCHMEN

The break charge could be stronger, I've been deciding on how to strengthen it. after the outer layer of stars the entire center of both hemi's were filled with BP hull to about .75" out of the shell, then 3 ounces of whistle were added as a booster. It does need to break harder, I'm probably gonna figure something out for that this weekend when I build the next one. Pasting is another story, originally I wanted to paste 20 layers but I wound up with either 12 or 14, I lost count. After that first batch of layers I let it sit overnight, when I came back yesterday morning I was going to paste on 8 more layers but I wanted to dry fit it first since the layers were dry. It was a snug fit in the gun and I realized I wasn't going to get any more layers on there without making the shell fit to tight so I went about finishing the time fuse and the lift bucket and rising tail. Nice mini lamp by the way.

Yah, thats pretty much what we were doing at the convention last year. We lift 24oz of Trimethyl borate on a 3lb bp nozzle less but it didnt light sadly:( We had a small 8oz bottle of acetone that came out nicely though. Just putting a few grams a flash on top of the fuel and glue teh bottle on top of the rocket. You and that Chlorate though, dangerous stuff, dont you have perc? I think the reasoning for the massive flash ammounts in normal lampares is basically they are meant to go bang along with the fireballs. Its basically a salute with a bit or extra fireball. I made a lampare that only had 70g of flash with 30g of DBSP for filler, actually ended up adding some ricehulls to fill the space completely.

Cplmac, Im not sure how 3 ounces of whistle compares to the average amount of booster for an 8" shell but it seems like a lot. Maybe you should try a flash booster, possibly dust your hulls down with flash so they just have a light coating. You could try pasting it with some fiberglass reinforced gummed craft, more holding power with less layers.

Thanks for the compliments. Yah I pressed about half an increment of whistle then a half increment of some bp with a bit of Ti in it. Did that several times in the delay section of the motor. So where you see the Ti in acually the delay where no noise is heard. Them rockets have about 2" of delay space to fill up and I would guess that they could use even more on the header or something for coasting. I think Ill make a 2 or 3 stage one at the convention and see how high I can get it.

Edited by psyco_1322

You and that Chlorate though, dangerous stuff, dont you have perc? I think the reasoning for the massive flash ammounts in normal lampares is basically they are meant to go bang along with the fireballs. Its basically a salute with a bit or extra fireball. I made a lampare that only had 70g of flash with 30g of DBSP for filler, actually ended up adding some ricehulls to fill the space completely.

Most discussions about the flash amount in lampare's is because of people are affraid of not igniting the gasoline.

Do you have any idea what kind of flash is used in commercial flash bangs? Right, just good old and cheap chlorate, and if I didn't have any perc I wasn't be able to make whistle fuel ;) Just treat the stuff gently.

The amount of flash you use for your lampare is going to have a lot to do with the size of the lampare. A 1 pint lamp is going to take a lot less flash than a 1 gallon lamp. Like all things pyro, add to taste.

Dutch you got me there. Guess I never thought about that whistle :) cuase that wasnt no chlorate whistle for sure. Commercial flash bangs? As in flash grenades? Did you read my nice little .pdf I uploaded, its in the chemistry section. I dont think they would use chlorate something like that, but hay you may be right.

Oh and not many use gasoline in lampares, its usually diesel. They are affraid that the gas will cause falling burning objects since it will light up very easy compared to diesel. I used a mix of camoing fuel and oil in mine. Some say the oil helps for a more orange fireball and added smoke if used during the day. Ned over at Passfire said they had good results from just duct taping bottles of fluid on top of 3" salutes.

All of our lamps are gasoline, sometimes with some oil mixed in. I think the gas is better than diesel because it takes fire better, atomizes easier and evaporates much faster. I'd love to open a show with Citronella lamps on the ground, two birds with one stone.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it :]

That is an aging video, I deliver small shells sometimes nowadays, perhaps I'll post a video of something that sometime. I like the Firefly #2 stars ^_^

Edited by superdank

A Caduceus Rocket I shot a few weeks ago.

I think the guide stick snapped off on launch but the rocket still flew relatively straight.

Two 1lb coreburning rockets.

Also, a 13 shot cake, please excuse my friends commentary :P

~Milky~

Edited by MilkyJoe

Frank, that is hilarious, I was scrolling down the page prior to hitting REPLY to ask the exact same thing! Dank, unlike rubberneckers on a highway, most of us truly want to be educated, so an elaboration on your accident would be useful.

BN RP... RP = Red Phosphorus? BN, hmm. Boron something? Thanks.

Edited by Swede

My 2 cents worth on RP and RPH?

It's probably a variation of BP, found on Alan Yates homepage.

Rocket Propellant and Rocket Propellant Hot, short RP and RPH.

He is referring to barium nitrate rocket propellant. Its a green rocket comp off of skylighters archives that has magnalium in it. It lit up on him while he mixing it I believe. I asked him about it the other day.

Here's my Lancaster Chlorate Silver streamer mine. Sorry for the bad quality video, but I had to do the Light and ruuuuun, and film :D . I'll probably fire one this eavning ang get my mom to film

Stars were cut.

I fired This tonight, it was a 4" gummed tape shell, it was my first colour changing so to speak. what do you think? Edited by Sambo