APC Forum

Please Post VIDEO'S if you got em .

h&k machineguns

I wouldn't overdestimate the "weather-effect", or the problem with shrinkage. I have made a lot of drivers, and some were bad, some good and a lot of them catos... Things really didn't zero in until I started being a bit more careful in ramming and drying out the motors, using the same nozzle mix, same incremets etc.. I use Red Gum as a binder and acetone as a solvent and with care taken when ramming (haven't got a press yet), they now fly just as good, made last week or last year. So my best advice: Be patient and be rewarded. But I also recognize the effect on weather, if you push the limit of your motors all the time. If you don't, your rockets will still fly, maybe have a percentage or two less thrust, but they fly!

Pre-Fire vid of the girandola

Girandola

Except for the headers failing this girandola worked well. I'm looking forward to building the next one, I was able to recover the frame un-damaged.

3" ID Ti Whistle to Report

This rocket did not have the sound I was hoping for and the Ti Salute was visually lacking but overall a successful test of a new fuel and tooling.

That's so weird your talking about girandolas now, I've been researching them for a long time and I'm making tourbillions now and I'll hopefully work my way up to their big brother.

Lift: 30 grams of H3 pulverone

Stars: Lancaster Chlorate Silver Pumped, 160 grams

Bagmine Construction

This mine was LOUD! You can hear the echo bouncing back and it's too bad that the movie was turned off because you could hear it going on for much longer! It was the first thing shot out of Miech's 3" mortar and both of us were running up to see if it survived, luckily it did!

I was very pleased about this mine, it was my first 3" mine and although the effect was more like a huge silvershower it was a nice effect overall. I'll try this again and take 2 identical mines except, 1 will have a diafragm and 1 won't. See what the diffirence will be.

3" ground break crossette with twinkler mine

4" cylinder salute with Ti whistle spolette

It didn't show in the video but the crossette had a mine with red and green twinklers that looked really nice in person, and the crossette breaking on the ground was actually a pretty cool unintended effect.

The 4" cylinder salute was made with a 5/8" Ti whistle spolette. I put a couple extra seconds of delay on the spolette for effect and was pretty happy with the results. I was surprised how well the salute thumped in the video, the camera was almost a thousand feet away. I haven't made a salute shell in a while, I forgot how fun and easy they are.

Ya Im not sure that H3 is a very good choice for lift in a device. Its usually used as a break charge. But the mine was good.

Good stuff cplmac. You make that little 3 shell volley thing one the first video?

No that W shot dragon eggs was on the class C line about 250 yards closer to the camera.

Lift: 30 grams of H3 pulverone

Stars: Lancaster Chlorate Silver Pumped, 160 grams

Bagmine Construction

This mine was LOUD! You can hear the echo bouncing back and it's too bad that the movie was turned off because you could hear it going on for much longer! It was the first thing shot out of Miech's 3" mortar and both of us were running up to see if it survived, luckily it did!

I was very pleased about this mine, it was my first 3" mine and although the effect was more like a huge silvershower it was a nice effect overall. I'll try this again and take 2 identical mines except, 1 will have a diafragm and 1 won't. See what the diffirence will be.

In my opinion (30 grams :huh: ) H3 is just sick to use in a 3" mortartube/starmine. Be happy the mortar survived it. Blackpowder 4FA or just pulverone is much better.

I personally use H3 as lift, because by the time I found a willow tree, my ball mill belt broke, I have a new one coming. But yeah, I teend to use 1/6th of the shell weight to lift my things.

@psyco_1322: I've used H3 many times before on 1" and 1,5" mines with no failures at all. All went perfect.

@FREAKYDUTCHMEN: I know pulverone is a better choice but as I said above I've used it many times before. I just could've taken a *tad* less lift that's for sure :ph34r: The main reason I''ve been using H3 is because my regular pulverone wasn't fast enough. I got myself a ballmill now so I'll make some new pulverone with 24h milled meal. Should do MUCH better than coffeegrinded meal :lol:

Im sure it may be fine in smaller mines but I wouldnt recomend trying it in larger ones.

You all should try binder your bp with redgum instead or dextrin or a waterbased binder. It seems to give a bit more powder to it. I think its said to be good enough that it doesnt required to be balled milled.

If granulated and mixed with 4% dextrin, 75:25 H3 is acceptable for lift charges on up to 6" shells. There are a few PGI members that routinely use it for this purpose.

• 5 weeks later...

3lb whistle headed with red to white to blue to report box stars

I wanted to test these slow burning box stars I made and realized I was going to need rocket altitude to keep the off the ground. I really liked these stars and I'll be using them in the future but they are a touch labor intensive.

Those were VERY nice. Good job!

And I see what you mean about needing some serious altitude.

Pre-Fire vid of the girandola

Girandola

Except for the headers failing this girandola worked well.  I'm looking forward to building the next one, I was able to recover the frame un-damaged.

3" ID Ti Whistle to Report

This rocket did not have the sound I was hoping for and the Ti Salute was visually lacking but overall a successful test of a new fuel and tooling.

Haha.. I also liked the "Burning Down the House" background music :)

The Talking Heads are pretty odd though :P

I loved your RWB->Report stars... The white was my favorite...

What comp was used for that? Seems like a streamer, but white...

Something like Buell -> Better Pearl -> Veline? -> 70\30 Flash?

The Red seemed washed out... It was probably just the camera though.

Nice stars, ya they look like they may take some time to make them, but hay all the good things are the ones that take too long to make:D

I really don't know what the white formula was, there was an issue with the original formula, it didn't work. It was originally a white star formula from Purringtons book, but it would not take fire even from the torch so I had to keep adding oxidizer and charcoal until it would take fire. No idea what the formula was in the end, but it was definitely NOT the formula I started with. The red was the same way also from Purringtons book, I had to add all kinds of crap to that formula to get it to take fire. The blue was my blue formula and worked just fine, the report was regular old 70/30. Pressed a few testers to get increment/burn time worked out then just rammed away and topped off with flash. I really like these stars and you can tweak them to burn however long you want, I could have made these burn for 30 seconds easily. Next time I'm going to break them a LOT harder and use a lot more of them.

So they're Pressed\Rammed Pill-Box stars that burn slowly?

I was thinking of making a willow-type shell with something similar... Have them break upwards into the air only, then fall down slowly. I was planning on using, with lack of a better name, slowed down Better Pearl.

They are like box stars which are basically star comp in a tube. Better pearl would probably look real nice.

Nothing special, but I strapped an old BP rocket motor to a post and tested it today.

Click "high quality"!!