APC Forum

Please Post VIDEO'S if you got em .

h&k machineguns

These things are sick... :P

I have never seen BP rocket with that much acceleration. Did you use Ben Smith's Super BP tooling and straight BP with whistle on top?

Once you see these things take off (in person), you'll say just lighting them is dangerous. :P

They are:

60 bp

30 vitamin f

10 Mg/Al

2.1 wax (happened to be 21g on a kilo batch)

No nozzle.

I use a blast shield, and press them outdoors.

Not my recipe, Seymour posted it in another thread.

Would you mind sharing how you make this fuel? Do you diaper ballmiled BP, FP (standard 7/3 formula) and magnalium and then make it just like regular whistle mix? Could wax be replaced with mineral oil or petrolium jelly?

This is how I made it:

I put all the ingredients into a zip lock bag, and lightly shake/roll the contents around until mixed together.

600 grams of Meal D (as hot as you can get it)

210 grams of Potassium Perchlorate (fine as possible, right out of the coffee mill)

90 grams of German Dark Aluminum (I used Star Molecule)

100 grams of Mg/Al 80-200 mesh

I was surprised how slow this dry mix actually burns.

I then heat up 21 grams of paraffin wax in a mason jar, that is sitting in a pot of boiling water. Remove the pot (with the mason jar) from the heat source, and add 2/3 cup of Lacquer Thinner to the wax (outside). Once the wax and LT are a liquid again (my LT is always cold from being left outside), you just pour that into the zip lock bag. Knead that mix in the bag for awhile, and dump onto a 20 mesh screen. I then screened that mix many times until I felt it couldn't get mixed any further (I did it about 12 times). It will essentially pour right through the screen... It doesn't take much assistance.

Then just spread that out on a sheet of kraft, and it should be dry the next day...

I have never tried mineral oil or vaseline... but they probably would work just the same. I prefer wax... it seems much easer to work with, and tooling is easy to remove even pressed to 10,000 psi.

The first one I made cato'd, but I didn't press it as hard. I also had placed the fuse in the core... so maybe that is why. The two in the videos above were lit at the edge of the grain.

Edited by ddewees

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

How many oz/grams in the BA report?

That is still primarily Potassium Chlorate based however. It is also a rather dangerous comp. Those were from earlier this century before perchlorate was widely available. You can try them if you feel up to it, but be safe.

Those formulas are available elsewhere, but be careful with powerlabs. Sam Barros is a hack. Not neccesarily unsafe proceedures, but a some of them don't work. PETN synth for example. It should also be noted that he refuses to take criticism.

his styphnic acid synth is pretty lame too. if you add concentrated nitric directly to resorcinol sulfate as he suggested without first dissolving the sulfate(if he took that step he sure didn't document it) you get one hell of a runaway. there are far better write-ups available on most of the experiment he shows.

• 2 weeks later...

small experiment with primers as star cores.

crap...sorry. just noticed this thread was in rocketry...mods please send this post somewhere more appropriate. apologies.

Edited by rogeryermaw

• 2 weeks later...
That was pretty cool. Sounded awesome! What size header was it and do you mind sharing the star composition? Thanks!

6" ball shell w/ 8" bs

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o588/SaltLakeAreaPyros/Mobile%20Uploads/20140912_180003_resized_zps6d842e0f.jpg

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o588/SaltLakeAreaPyros/9-23-20143-44-10PM_zps4f8f1323.png

Nice. Good work Ddewees!

Tell me that little bottle rock is there for scale and not for lift assist :D

What size and how many motors on that beast, and how did you fuse for simultaneous ignition?

Beauty by the way!

Tell me that little bottle rock is there for scale and not for lift assist :D...

Are you kidding? That's where all of the thrust comes from!

(6) 3lb motors, lit with paper fuse.

The little rocket was like those tiny fish that follow whales around. :)

Complete, it weighed just over 10 kilos.

Thanks.

Edited by ddewees
  • Like 1