APC Forum

Flash Podwer Questions

tay1392

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum obviously, and I have a few questions for you all.

1. When making flash powder for the first time to put in a firecracker/m-80, how much should I make at once?

2. Am I right that it's 7 parts potassium chlorate and 3 parts of aluminum powder?

3.how safe is it to make?

4. Is it Better to make and use flash powder as oppose to filling the firecrackers/m-80's with black powder?

5. Do I have to mix the components together with a ball mill or can i just mix them together in a cup or something with a popsicle stick(very carefully).

Any help would be appreciated THANKS !!!!

:ph34r: :unsure:

-Taylor

Sorry don't want to flame. But if your having to ask that many questions about it then i think its safer you don't make any.

Anyway Here's some pointers-

Never make flash powder in a ball mill.

Flash powder isn't really safe at all.

If you do happen to make flash powder don't use more an a gram.

Personally I would rather see you use blackpowder than see you get hurt.

1: It depends on how big the firecracker is suppose to be. Mine are about 1/2" ID and 2" long, which i am filling with 2 grams of flashpowder. Fill the paper tube to about half the volume.

2:Yep, thats standard flash powder. But for some reason I am using 66/34 as a formula.

3: It's not safe at all! Don't underestimate flash. A 2 gram flash firecracker would probably blow a couple of fingers away. But if you are careful about static electricity and you're not banging it with a hammer, you will probably be all right.

4: Flash will make A LOT higher bang than black powder! But you cannot substitute black powder for flash i a mortar or rocket. Then the mortar will explode, barely moving the shell.

5: Usually a method called "diapering" is used, when you put all ingrediences on a paper and then lifting a corner. The flash mix will then roll down, and then you lift another corener, untill the flash is evenly mixed. Don't use a cup or any other container; if the flash would ignite, it would probably explode in your hand. If it ignites on the diapering-paper, it will just burn very rapidly. Don't use a ball mill or anything like that! The flash would explode, sending lead balls all over the place!

Why would you bother mixing it carefully in a cup when you considered ball milling it? I mean do you think milling flash is safer than stiring it?

Locked. Don't ask stuff like this anymore. This is NOT a forum about making flash and booms. People like you are who are causing the problems in the hobby.