APC Forum

What's the fastest rockets ?

h&k machineguns

I'd like to know what's the fastest rocket motor out there that I can build is ?

I'd like to limit it to 1/2 ID at this time and leave out core burners.

My main concern is a rocket motor that can leave the pad,tube the fastest ? I don't neccessarly need it to have max altitude,but it would always be nice.

Video's and links always apprieciated.

Thanks in advance,from a new guy.

The fastest rocket would be a combination of the fastest exit gasses, the lightest rocket (body and grain) and allmost zero drag.

The fastest exit gasses require the fastest burning propellant or an impossibly high nozzle ratio in combination with the strongest engine casing.

The lightest rocket ruiquires special composite casings, and high energy per weight grain.

Zero drag is impossible for a rocket because then it would literally fly anywhere. Low drag (and on the right locations) would be accomplished with special coatings, an aerodynamical body, and tiny fins.

H&K,

If you're strictly going for speed and altitude, whistle or BP-hybrids are the way to go.

What kind of headers are you going to send up? You may not have thought about it, but many times extreme speed or heights aren’t going to be qualities that you look for in your motors. A 2" shell or 1oz salute heading might be great at 200 ft, but they're not very spectacular at 1000ft. You probably want to concern yourself more with what type of fuel is going to give you the best looking tail effects while still being able to carry a decent payload.

H&K,

If you're strictly going for speed and altitude, whistle or BP-hybrids are the way to go.

What kind of headers are you going to send up? You may not have thought about it, but many times extreme speed or heights aren’t going to be qualities that you look for in your motors. A 2" shell or 1oz salute heading might be great at 200 ft, but they're not very spectacular at 1000ft. You probably want to concern yourself more with what type of fuel is going to give you the best looking tail effects while still being able to carry a decent payload.

I wasn't planning on having any payloads,just a rocket motor with fins and a light weight cone . As light as possible. A tail would be cool,but not if it's from added metals that will slow down the rocket motor.

Anyone ever clock a properly done whistle rocket,BP,hybrid,or composite motor ? Is there a comparison anywere on these ?

If one were to want to try and achieve a level horizonal fleight,I'm assuming that rocket would need top speed before it ever left the launch device,right ?

Thanks guys

Yes. Your rocket will have to achieve bullet speeds before it will have any sort of level flight for any meaningful distance. If you live in the US, you might also note that horizontally launched rockets are considered to be "Destructive Devices" per BATF and are subject to all the rules and regulation that classification entails.

Ok, man, this is exactly what I've been getting into lately, you're talkin model rocketry, essentially. If you want a vertical flight that reaches top speed at liftoff, then you will HAVE to have a core. I'm sure some whistle comps might be able to handle it, but the point I'm getting at, is to have the greatest speed and hight you will need, at least, one cored grain engine, followed by an endburning grain (called a sustainer engine). This will allow you to reach max speed, and then the sustaining engine will continue to maintain that speed (or close enough) to allow for the rocket to continue climbing. It is possible to make this all one engine, as a single grain. As for casing you'll want something lightweight (check model rocketry supply sites, etc.) and heat resistant (you don't want your fins melting or god forbid combusting mid flight). Also, the lightest nose cone may not be the best idea, even with fins if you don't have the proper weight distrubution to the front of the rocket chances are it's not going to fly very straight (been there done that). Unfortunately there is no special method to make the "perfect" rocket as no such thing exists...