APC Forum

3 lb. Rocket

cplmac

I tried something a little different today. I made a 3lb. rocket with straight Salycitate mix on strobe tooling. Not surprisingly it KATO'd. Part of the problem was the sleeve I used, a pvc jacket with a hose clamp every inch on center. I did some bad math and wound up pressing the rocket at a much higher pressure than I should have and it split the casing. Having gotten the correct pressure now, I will try again tomorrow and see if this will fly. I think there is a small chance it will work. Tonight's test got about 30' off the ground before it went boom, and that was with a split case so I don't think it is impossible. I'll keep you posted. If it does work I get the feeling it is gonna go like stink.

Cpl,

Even with the correct pressure, the spindle is way too long for normal whistle fuel. I'd venture a guess that you'll need at least 4% vaseline or mineral oil in your comp to slow it down enough.

I tried it again today at 3000 PSI and changed the mix up just a bit. Sally for the first inch and a half of the core, Sod. Benz for the next two and a quarter inches, then an inch of Sally with Ti sponge, capped off with some red lance powder. Worked great. Gonna try one straight sally again tomorrow. I only had 1 percent vaseline in both mixes.