APC Forum

PVC from PVC!

ZoSo357

I was thinking of putting this in general chemistry but I figured it may fit a little better in the pyrotechnic's section. Here goes.

Well I noticed a long time ago when I picked up some 1/8" ID - 1/4" OD tubing that it was referred to as "PVC" tubing, so I did a little search and came across something called PT2 PVC TUBING. And I was thinking, perhaps there was a way to dissolve this or use it for PVC as a chlorine donor for stars and such. Perhaps dissolving it and spraying it as a mist, letting it dry and perhaps having a somewhat powdered material.

I've sent an email asking what percent of this particular type of hose is actually PVC. The company being www.hosecraftusa.com

Anyone think that there is any possibillity behind this? I've been trying to get a good OTC source for PVC.

Pretty much all PVC piping products have a lot of other crap in them. I have tried to find pure PVC from industries that make PVC products, and it is usually sold as granules of PVC with fillers and shit mixed in. Not the easiest thing to find pure.

How about purification? Is it plauseable to purify pvc piping or would the work be too much to balance the product?

It is possible to purify but IMO it's way too much work. It would be easier and maybe even cheaper to just buy a chlorine donor. Everthing that Mephistos said is true in that PVC pipes contain a bunch of stuff you really don't need. So if you're looking for a usable amount buy it but for your just seeing if you can go right ahead and try to purify it.

There are some saran wraps that I feel have a possible future as a chlorine donor. This is just going off some MSDS and patents I've seen. It appears there are some that are made from 50% Saran (Polyvinylidine Chloride), and 50% PVC. No additives were mentioned, but that doesn't mean there arn't any. I feel the best way to use it would be to form a goo from acetone and the saran wrap, and grind from there, or use the goo as is.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. It'd definitely be a cheaper way of going about getting a cholorine donor. What brands of saran wrap would this be? (or is saran actually a company?) I tend to call all plastic wrap "saran wrap". But I believe saran is a plastic, right?

Either way, if there is a good % of chlorine donor in the material, I'd think using it as a goo would be a good way to go. Although it might not mix well..