APC Forum

alcoa 120 glitter aluminum

pyrochris732

so i placed a pretty big order today with travis and ordered this alcoa stuff.

Here is the description:

This is the perfect Glitter aluminum, Alcoa 120 atomized spherical uncoated aluminum. This is the modern equivalent of the old Reynolds 120.

It is a mixed mesh aluminum, here are Alcoa specs. -40-100mesh 10%-25%, 100-200mesh 15%-30%, 200-325mesh 15%-25%, -325mesh 28%-34%.

This is the best aluminum for glitter formulas.

Any of you guys use this stuff for glitter or anything else? Im curious about it as I ran out of my atomized 400 mesh bright.

Chris

I have some atomized 325 that I use for a real neat charcoal star comp I made up. Its like tiger tails on steroids....

50 KNO3

25 airfloat

10 sulphur

10 aluminum

5 dextrin

This is a double petal with them in it and some blue. The picture really dont do it justice though..post-9873-127863887639_thumb.jpg

Pump or roll.... take away from the KNO3 and add more airfloat for longer burning...

Not sure if this helps you any...

Scott

Edited by laser200

I would imagine it would be great in comets or just 15% in normal charcoal streamers, I think it would give a nice silver tail from the finer stuff, followed by a glitter type effect from the coarse particles.

I have used this product before. It didn't seem to have as much coarse material as the assay claims, but it's definitely coarser than the stuff I use. I really liked the wide particle size range. It makes beautiful shells and comets.

For what it's worth, most if not all of the Winokur glitters were formulated for this material. Some of them just don't look as nice without the coarse particles in there (no. 10 comes to mind specifically).

For what it's worth, most if not all of the Winokur glitters were formulated for this material. Some of them just don't look as nice without the coarse particles in there (no. 10 comes to mind specifically).

And I was wondering why my Winokur 10 looks like shit. :unsure:

That Al. has different size particles in it. I think this Formula should have an interesting effect. It's basicly the Willow Diadem formula, substitute the Ferro-titanium for the Alcoa Al. I have not tested this so consider it experimental.

KNo3....................31

Airfloat.................. 40

Sulfur....................11

Dextrin....................7

Alcoa Al. .................9

Ti.sponge 40-80m....3

Edited by Cookieman

And I was wondering why my Winokur 10 looks like shit. :unsure:

Because they were all experimental ones. On paper ok, but in real not all worked out as they should be.

When I tried #10 with my normal glitter aluminum, the effect did not match the description. The tail was nice, but it really wasn't all that long even in comet form. I've often wondered if it was just the formula, or the aluminum. I actually had access to Alcoa 120 at the time, but didn't use it. Honestly, I've been moving to mostly MgAl based glitters lately anyway. I like the effect better.

You really need to read the whole manuscript to make sense of all the formulas, and what they were trying to accomplish. The formulas on their own aren't as useful or informative.

• 2 months later...

so i placed a pretty big order today with travis and ordered this alcoa stuff.

Here is the description:

This is the perfect Glitter aluminum, Alcoa 120 atomized spherical uncoated aluminum. This is the modern equivalent of the old Reynolds 120.

It is a mixed mesh aluminum, here are Alcoa specs. -40-100mesh 10%-25%, 100-200mesh 15%-30%, 200-325mesh 15%-25%, -325mesh 28%-34%.

This is the best aluminum for glitter formulas.

Any of you guys use this stuff for glitter or anything else? Im curious about it as I ran out of my atomized 400 mesh bright.

Chris

Hey I just ordered the same alcoa 120 they say it is the best glitter aluminum for glitter I am going to make some today and see how it works!

• 5 years later...

Yes you can roll them, just don't over wet them when spraying. You also can cut them, again don't over wet. Just enough so the patty doesn't crumble. The alcoa 120 is king for aluminum glitters imo. Works nice for a tail in regular stars. A few percent in slow flash gives a "spikey" fireball. Though titanium is better for that. I do use magnal 100-200 mesh granular in one type of glitter winokur 19. You can mix alcoa with magnal for an interesting combination of glitter effects too.

It's good practice to prime everything. Glitters usually light pretty well on their own, but a bit of insurance in the form of a prime is always good.