APC Forum

6in Violet w/Silver pistil

qwezxc12

I know there isn't really a competition any more, but it's been a while since I posted anything (or made/shot anything, for that matter...). I made some shells up earlier this spring, testing out various new formula tweaks, mostly Hexamine fueled colors, some with metal added. This is one that worked out nice - I'm very pleased with this star formula.

6in ball shell, Violet with a silver pistil, my usual construction. It was one of the six in the attached thumbnail. The shell broke larger than camera's frame; I was filming a little close (~200 ft away). The rising tail was a 1-1/2" comet of basic BP + high % atomized Al + KP, sort of Shimizu Silver Wave and BP for ease of lighting without a prime.

Here is the Video

post-747-127501557403_thumb.jpg

post-747-127501624901_thumb.jpg

Edited by qwezxc12

That was very nice! 2smile.gif

What's the violet star formula?

PyroMan 2happy.gif

Here you go:

Ammonium Perchlorate.........64

Strontium Carbonate............8

Copper Oxide.......................5

Hexamine.............................10

Saran....................................9

Binder...................................4

I happened to use the Resorcinol Resin binder I use for comets. Prime was KP based fence-post prime (basically 65:15:10 KP:C:S) + 5% ea of DE and Si rolled on using Red Gum and Alc.

Beautifull shell, I liked the colour, very nice break to, great job!!!!2smile.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Great tail & Beautiful shell!

Good priming job BTW. If they stay lit with that hard of a break you got it licked!

Goofy

• 2 weeks later...
That was awesome. I made a batch of those stars for this fourth and Man they look good. But I must know what burst did you use? Any booster?

That was awesome. I made a batch of those stars for this fourth and Man they look good. But I must know what burst did you use? Any booster?

laser,

I use 4hr milled Alder BP, the same as I use for lift, coated 4:1 on rice crispies. Booster was ~15g of 70:30 slow flash made with -325 bright Al dumped in loose into the center and worked in with a dowel. Hemis are plastic, but I paste in with 3 over lapping layers of gummed tape on three axis to ensure as symetrical a break as possible from a non-paper shell.

I'm going to try an even slower booster, say 2:1:1 made with KNO3:Al:S based on topics discussed on Passfire. Going for big breaks still, but a little gentler 'push' for the stars.

• 1 month later...
NICE COLOR, GREAT BREAK YOU JUST NEED TO ADD MORE LIFT SHOULD HAVE BROKE AT THE THE TOP OF THE LIFT INSTEAD OF ON TH BREAK OVER NICE ALL N ALL