APC Forum

Metal Lathes

WarezWally

I have always wanted a metal lathe and seeing as I have some money to spare I was thinking about getting one of those mini lathes

From what I can tell is that they are fairly decent for making small items, anyone here have one?

This lathe is more or less like the one I have so I can give you first hand experience with it.

With it you should be able to comfortably make rocket tooling up to 16mm, you can go bigger but then a problem arises with drilling those long rammers (i've had problems with my 20mm so i had to resort to the lathe my dad has at his job).

For star pumps it's cool up to 30mm as long as they're not too long.

The jaws can be turned around (you get another set of jaws with it) to work bigger diameters up to something like 75mm or 80mm.

I'd say this is a pretty good lathe as far as small hobby lathes go.

If you'd like to anything else just ask.

At work we have a huge heavy duty lathe. I personally don't work with it but I can still work with it, good fun. I say that lathe is fine but as with everything in life the more money you spend generally the better it is.

As much as I would love a large CNC lathe (and a CNC mill, tig welder and oxy set) I dont have the room nor money for one.

Look at it this way, the garage is full and my wallet isn't that fat :)

Wally: If you're in the market, and have the means to move a slightly larger machine, look for this lathe:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=44859

By the numbers it's only slightly larger, but it's built one hell of a lot beefier than the 7x12 lathes. It's actually an 8x14, and it's got a 3/4hp induction motor (belt drive/gear reduction). It comes with a larger 4" 3-jaw chuck. If you look, the 8x14 also weighs more than twice what the 7x12 does; it's stiffer and can take bigger cuts, handle larger work more easily.

I've read a few reviews of the 8x12 and it's also built better and machined more precisely than the 7x lathes. The 8x12 is also built better and stronger than the 9x20 lathes that are out there. I would have bought the 8x12 but had no way to move it around at the time.

With machine tools, bigger is ALWAYS better. But the catch-22: bigger machines cost a lot more, and can weigh a ton or three. There you are, having decided you don't enjoy machine work, with a monstrosity you can't move and may be difficult to sell.

I do like the 8" or 9" lathes and I think they are the ideal size for this hobby. You can make whatever tooling you want with one, and it'll be exactly what you need.

The tooling to make the lathe work well can be pretty expensive. And in some cases the learning curve can be steep. It's not like a drill press, where you open the box and start drilling. You'll need to learn how to operate the machine, learn a lot about bit geometry and other such things, but it will open up a world of cool options, and home machining can be a very rewarding hobby all by itself.

Try Grizzly for a lathe or mill. I think their products are a bit better, and I also think they have better support. Harbor Freight is the King of low-prices, but much of it can be junk.

HF and Grizzly sell the same lathes, made in the same factory - but with different paint and sometimes different accessories. If you're looking for a 7x12, try the Cummins. It's $400 but it comes with more than $100 worth of accessories, most of which you will need eventually. I believe the cummins is also actually a 7x14. The Grizzly is $525 and comes with fewer accessories (but not by much).

Check *this* out:

http://littlemachineshop.com/Info/minilathe_compare.php

edit: Yet ANOTHER option is a "Big Dog" lathe.. they ARE made by a different manufacturer than the other 7x12s...

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe/Revie...dog/bigdog2.htm

I'll have to try find someone local who sells these things, shouldnt be to hard.

If you do buy one of those 7" mini-lathes, the website Tentacles pointed out is a MUST READ resource. Those guys have been in business for a long time, and they know those machines inside and out. The lathe comparison page is important. To me, one of the biggest deals is the pitch of the leadscrew, and as far as I know, only the Micro-Mark has a leadscrew with a 0.050" pitch. The others use a metric leadscrew.

The leadscrew pitch is important because it defines how much material you are removing. If you work in inches, it is a huge advantage to have the 0.050" leadscew. The Micro-Mark aslo has a beefier motor. But they are more expensive than the others. Good luck!

I imported my lathe from the dealer in China. Check out www.siegind.com and look up the C6 Bench lathe. It's a bit large, but works wonders. Don't know how prices will compare to HF or others though, send the Chineese an e-mail, they usually respond quite quickly. And I have a milling machine from them comming in this month as well. For me it was about 35-40 % cheaper than normal stores.

Shipping to Europe was 100 USD, add to that import tax and the local shipping agents fee (varies greatly). But anyhow, the Sieg Machine is a great machine. Remember to buy some extra tooling if you order, it will get you started right away. Just unpack, plug in and start making tools!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing with a lathe in my metal shop class and was very interested. So I'm asking you guys to shed some like on *THIS* one.

Will it work the same as the mini metal lathes you folks are talking about or is it better or worse?

Thanks.

I think you will do MUCH better with a regular lathe. The so-called 3:1 machines try to do it all, and in the end, they do it poorly. The mill head on those things are always sloppy loose, the available "Z" axis space is tiny, and really they do a poor job. the lathe portion is often OK, but for your $$, a straight lathe will be a better option, IMO. If you can afford it, try to buy an 8" or 9" swing lathe rather than a mini. The more the machine weighs, the better. There is no substitute for iron, and lots of it. If the lathe swings 9", it'll possibly weigh 100 kilos or more, and becomes a two-person operation to install, but it will do much heavier and better work than the mini-lathes.

Still, ANY lathe is better than no lathe, and the minis can do some good work.

Good luck!

Yep, go for the HF 8x12 or 9x20 lathe. The 8x12 has changed in design but is apparently still made in the same factory as before that does fantastic setups on it. The 8x12 and the 9x20 also come with larger chucks, which is a very good thing to have. The new 8x12 apparently has just one prismatic way instead of previously two. Another company called Lathemaster sells them with all the accy's for somewhat more than HF. Their price is $918.00 shipped but it comes with a 4" 3-jaw, 5" 4-jaw chuck, steady rest, follower rest, dead centers, etc.

Here's that review of the 8x12 I've talked about in the past: http://annisquamgranite.com/8x12ReviewPg1.htm

I don't see the real difference. I see the "big round thing with the probes" I guess they would be called that. But what can that do differently from a Mini Lathe?

A mini-lathe is for making smaller work, often used by modelmakers and miniature mechanics. It means the length of a workpiece is limited, the motor is limited and often the equipment is limited due to the work it is constructed for. It will work, but making stuff on it will often take longer time, include more operations due to the limited length etc.

When I went looking, I found one I thought would work, and bought the model one size bigger... No regrets so far, but it occupies quite a bit of room in my workshop, and weight over 160 kilos..

As for the 3:1, turn the figures around and you get 1:3. Means it does 1/3 the of the job it is supposed to. :lol:

But a word of advice: It is MUCH more cost efficient to buy your tooling than making your own. Trust me, I know..

I've have got a 9X20 and I'd have to say its a good size for general stuff.

There were times I wish I had a bigger one (Namely machining an axle for a go kart) but for everything else its perfect!

I'm pretty sure mine is a harbor freight one with another company name plate on it (aren't all lathes?)

At the time I also brought a milling machine and a MIG welder. Both are great however if I had my time again I probably would have not got the mill. Its one of the less used things around here.

When buying my lathe I also had to choice of a smaller one (As in this thread somewhere) and I can tell you right here right now - dont buy it. Get a lathe bigger than you need! You can wind in the cross/top slides and grind smaller tooling...but you can not 'easily' increase your lathes swing!

I like the 9x20 they are just so expensive. 700 to 800 bucks is something I don't have.

I like the 9x20 they are just so expensive. 700 to 800 bucks is something I don't have.

I'm in the same boat for cash to buy a lathe. I'm probably going to just get the 7x10 from Harbor Freight. For anything bigger, I'll just go to my buddy's machine shop.

Bonny, go with the 7x12 from Cummins. It's $399 and includes a lot of accessories you'll need (and/or find useful). Plus it's the 12 inch swing (like mine). Just a FYI, the HF lathe no longer comes with a live center.

Granted if you're buying it at HF in Fargo, there'd be no shipping.

The cummins unit: http://www.toolsnow.com/browse.cfm/4,876.html

Bonny, go with the 7x12 from Cummins. It's $399 and includes a lot of accessories you'll need (and/or find useful). Plus it's the 12 inch swing (like mine). Just a FYI, the HF lathe no longer comes with a live center.

Granted if you're buying it at HF in Fargo, there'd be no shipping.

The cummins unit: http://www.toolsnow.com/browse.cfm/4,876.html

That Cummins lathe looks like a much better deal overall, but one problem there is that they do not ship internationally, and they are a little far away to drive to. As much as I would like a bigger/better lathe, I am kind of restricted by $$$ and location. The old lady wants to go shopping so we were planning a trip to Fargo, nice and close which is good with the 5 month old baby. I may end up buying the 7x12 depending on money at the time, but we'll see.

For tooling, there is quite a lot of odds and ends at work here, and I think there is a live centre (for free).

Then I suggest watching their ad flyers for the sales (I can pick up my share of flyers when I go to GF). The lathes can be had a full $100 cheaper on sale. So if the 8x12 is on sale it could become a possibility.

My metal teacher (I know you guys are aware or think he has a lot of flaws) says that the 3:1 if built correctly can be good but the harbor freight ones suck and would only be good as a starter lathe.

He said that if you don't want to spend a lot of money and don't need precision go ahead and get it.

What do you guys think?