APC Forum

making potassium (per) chlorate

gods knight

Just wondering, I'm using the +5v on the power supply for chlorate cell, but should the voltage be the same or higher for perchlorate cell?

I really hate the fact that oxidizing.110mb.com is gone, it had so much information.

I recall a voltage range somewhere around 6Vdc-7Vdc for perchlorate cells (I may need to correct these numbers later).

The information from oxidizing.110mb.com is out there. Maybe someone who's recorded it can send you a copy...

WSM B)

Does anyone have copies of oxidizing.110mb.com archived and can re-host it? The oocities site is outdated and there's no telling how long it will remain up.

Thank you for the site copy pyrochili.

That is a very good question Taiwanluthiers . I hope somebody will get it back online, as it is a invaluable source of info, that I refer to often. SHeesh ,,,,,, who would let such a gem go to waste. ???

I have a reliable web host and can volunteer to host it if someone has the latest copy of that site. However I do not know who wrote the site and would like to get permission if possible...

Can i use more than one atx supply s? I want to connect a second one to get more ampère. I fillt my cell yesterday. Start with 55 degrees Celsius. This morning hè was 20 degrees. And the whole anode. Was covert in cristalls. My power supply can deliver 25 amp. I have a nother one. Who can deliver 20 amps. Can i just connect the second power supply. To the anode? My cell is 9 liter. And I Dissolve 9 kilo of naclo3.

Pex

Are you making sodium or potassium perchlorate? You shouldn't have crystals of sodium perchlorate because it's more soluble than sodium chlorate. I think connecting 2 power supply should be fine if they both work in tandem... just make sure both are powered up at the same time.

How do you put them in thandem? Can i just turn them on with 1 power supply conected to electrodes than put the second one to the electrodes while he is running? I am not that good with Electronics

Can i use more than one atx supply s? I want to connect a second one to get more ampère. I fillt my cell yesterday. Start with 55 degrees Celsius. This morning hè was 20 degrees. And the whole anode. Was covert in cristalls. My power supply can deliver 25 amp. I have a nother one. Who can deliver 20 amps. Can i just connect the second power supply. To the anode? My cell is 9 liter. And I Dissolve 9 kilo of naclo3.

Pex

The basics of combining DC power supplies is: for double the voltage, run the outputs in series (positive to negative and out). For double the current, run them in parallel (positive to positive, negative to negative and out). The most important point by my understanding is to match the supplies perfectly or one of the two supplies will "hog the load" and the user risks burning them out, one at a time.

I believe matching the supplies involves both their inputs and outputs (voltage AND current) matching as closely to each other as is possible. Especially the outputs, if they're adjustable, should be dialed to match each other for the best results.

Also remember, for higher current carrying (the lower voltage part of the power supply), to use larger conductors. The input may be 18 gauge wire, but for a 30A output, it's better to use 10 gauge wire (or two 12 gauge wires in parallel).

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

Pex, I noticed that your cell is using alligator clips as a connector. There will be losses and waste of power to the electrodes . Heat will be one of these , and any oxidation will reduce the connection even further. If I where to suggest anything , it would be to bolt on your wire via connectors etc.. This will maximize the power delivered .

:ph34r:

Pex, there's something else I just noticed. The hydrogen vent, in use, should run straight up like a chimney or problems will develop.

WSM B)

Thanks, I will be putting it online soon... I dont know who wrote it so I can't ask anyone for permission...

Thanks, I will be putting it online soon... I dont know who wrote it so I can't ask anyone for permission...

That'll be a good thing (having it available online). Thanks.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

You guys are the best. I'm sure amongst us, a good source of useful information will be here for others to follow. Keep up rhe good work.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

Here it is:

http://oxidizing.typhoonguitars.com/

It may take a few hours for it to work fully, dont fret if it does not work for now because DNS things take time... in the meantime go to

www.typhoonguitars.com/oxidizer

Also the information, while extensive isn't the most up to date, so let me know if anyone would like to add to it, particularly any developments for those MMO pyrochlores that could make perchlorate.

Edited by taiwanluthiers

Why not ussing. Alibaba.com

They have allot suppliers. And are mush cheaper. If you look arround and contact a few suppliers. You can get good prices. Included chipping

Why not ussing. Alibaba.com

They have allot suppliers. And are mush cheaper. If you look arround and contact a few suppliers. You can get good prices. Included chipping

Hi pyroChile,

The article link is one I've seen, and 7Vdc is useful for perchlorate cells. The current delivery depends on the power supply and the configuration of the setup. I'm planning on using 6Vdc with my first experiments.

Let us know how it works for you.

WSM B)

Hello WSM

How is your power supply?

=)

Hello WSM

How is your power supply?

=)

Hi pyroChile,

Thanks for asking.

I have a few power supplies, but none are a modified computer supply. The one I was thinking of using is a regulated 5Vdc, 30A supply I've used for small chlorate cells. It has a voltage adjust potentiometer and I turn it down to 4.3Vdc for the chlorate cell, but I'll turn it up to as close to 6Vdc as it can get for use in the perchlorate cell.

Another option is a larger, rack mount power supply which is rated at 5Vdc and 60A, but I'm afraid it will overpower the LD anode (maybe not, but why take chances?). The voltage adjust on it will go down to 3.75Vdc or up to about 6.5Vdc (if I remember correctly).

I also have a variable power supply which runs on 240Vac (the other two run on 120Vac) with an output range of 0-40Vdc and 0-75A, and that one would be very nice for experimenting with new systems, but I need a better place to set it up.

Anyway, I need to set up a small experimental perchlorate cell and then decide which power supply to use. It's starting to look like I'll make it happen on the weekend. I'll try to photograph it and post reports here.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

Ok, You have a pictures of your power supplys?, What kind it is?

Thanks for you reply!

=)

Ok, You have a pictures of your power supplys?, What kind it is?

Thanks for you reply!

=)

OLD, primarily. I found photos of two of the three:

post-9734-0-65552600-1398401842_thumb.jpg

This is the 5Vdc 30A supply. It cost about $20.

post-9734-0-46223800-1398401914_thumb.jpg

This is the variable supply (0-40Vdc 0-75A) and I paid about $50 because they couldn't test it (or I'd have to pay more!).

I like to add digital panel meters so seeing the voltage or amperage is easier.

post-9734-0-81111900-1398402246_thumb.jpg

I hope this helps.

WSM B)

OLD, primarily. I found photos of two of the three:

attachicon.gif5V 30A.JPG

This is the 5Vdc 30A supply. It cost about $20.

attachicon.gif0-40V 0-75A.JPG

This is the variable supply (0-40Vdc 0-75A) and I paid about $50 because they couldn't test it (or I'd have to pay more!).

I like to add digital panel meters so seeing the voltage or amperage is easier.

attachicon.gifLCD Meters 10-26-11.JPG

I hope this helps.

WSM B)

wow..!

OK, so the first have a potentiometer for voltaje regulation?

Best,

=)