APC Forum

KNO3 and KClO3 incompatibilities

Pyrophoric30

Good day pyros

i made a lift charge using 40%kclo3 30%kno3 and 30%charcoal. I want to ask if there are incompatibilities with this mixture mainly kno3 and kclo3 together as i cannot find any article regarding this. My goal with this mixture is to make good lift without using ball mill. 

No issues. Just be aware that adding perchlorate to the mix increases the burn exponentially based on pressure. It'll become too spicy to use as lift pretty quickly as you increase the weight of the shell.

13 hours ago, FrankRizzo said:

No issues. Just be aware that adding perchlorate to the mix increases the burn exponentially based on pressure. It'll become too spicy to use as lift pretty quickly as you increase the weight of the shell.

Thanks! Just to make sure, it was potassium chlorate that im using. I havent read any books containing kno3/kclo3 incompatibilities. Im using this composition because i cannot make a good bp without milling forever. 

7 hours ago, Pyrophoric30 said:

Thanks! Just to make sure, it was potassium chlorate that im using. I havent read any books containing kno3/kclo3 incompatibilities. Im using this composition because i cannot make a good bp without milling forever. 

You can eliminate all the kno3 and use only chlorate, i would add also a bit of sulfur but if it Is acidic could be a big problem, i found the 93% Is the One used for agricultural had inside carbonate and sulfate like anti acidic so if used with the due Precautions can be suitable

16 hours ago, Pyrophoric30 said:

Thanks for pointing that out, I did miss it. My post still applies; both chlorate and perchlorate have a pretty severe pressure exponent and you'll want to be aware of that when scaling up.

Chlorate and charcoal compositions like H3 do have safety considerations though. Be aware that your comp will be friction and impact sensitive. Absolutely do not ball mill the entire mix. I would also make a small 10g batch, and then take sub-gram samples from that to abuse on the cement with a hammer face and get acquainted with the sensitivity.

Edited by FrankRizzo