APC Forum

Greetings from Maine, USA!

FPM

Hello all, I'm Fred from Maine, I want to thank everyone for the great information that is provided here, it has allowed me to learn a great deal about pyrotechnics, which is my new hobby as I move into retirement from a lifelong career in the Information Technology field. 

• Like 1

Welcome.  What's your plans to start with.  If you're looking for any recommendations, everyone will have a different suggested path, but the one thing we all (well 90%) agree on is learn to make b.p. first!  Good luck!

Chuck

Edited by cmjlab
  • Like 1

welcome here...!!

• Like 1

Thank you! I have made (what I consider), some very excellent BP, as I have access to fast growing Hemlock Pine, right from my back yard, and when I used this wood from a rotted stump, and followed the recommendations from the YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@Everythingblackpowder I was able to make very good quality BP, which we all know is the "base" of most everything pyrotechnic! I did a lot of reading and studying before trying anything, and started with making BP, and have graduated to making small stars, which I test from a star gun. This is a very exciting hobby, and to be able to have the sky as your canvas,  and the only limitations is your imagination! I am proceeding slowly and carefully, and will be able to post some interesting content as It is created! I have done two 3" ball shells so far,  both went off as good as could be expected for a first timer!

Welcome! Sooo... have ya made a lobster sized mortar yet? They too pricy here in Michigan :D

Nice purple BTW. Or was that just the cam reacting to a hot blue or something? I see that in my cooking pix... the heat source seems to always be almost neon purple. Odd, that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richtee said:

Welcome! Sooo... have ya made a lobster sized mortar yet? They too pricy here in Michigan :D

Nice purple BTW. Or was that just the cam reacting to a hot blue or something? I see that in my cooking pix... the heat source seems to always be almost neon purple. Odd, that.

I've had my fill of lobstah for the summer! (Maine slang).

Thanks to the purple, it pleased me when I tested it. That purple is this composition, the only change I made was a 1 to 1 sub for SGRS instead of dextrin.:  https://www.fireworkscookbook.com/firework-recipe/purple-violet-star-spanish/

I filmed it on a Galaxy s24 cell phone, all settings at default. this was just a small pile of comp for testing, and I hold the phone so I can be sure it is framed right for the video, and watch the action with my eyes, not looking through the phone, and this is a pretty accurate image of what it looked like in real life. (Of course I screen grabbed the best looking frame of the video!) I want to figure out how to film my work, so the video is as accurate as what you see with the naked eye. The blue in my pic is Shimizu #70 4mm star shot from star gun, and I have to say that for a first time, I was impressed with myself! I know that blue is one of the most difficult, so of course I had to start with that!

I'll be around doing a lot of reading in the near future, as my wife will be going through a major medical procedure, and I will be focused on that for a while, but so far this is a very friendly forum with loads of great information. I got onto Ned Gorski's site as well, and love both.

Yep Ned's site is a great source of info as well, there a few people here that are members on both sites.  

If you have the extra $40.00 (US), then Passfire.com is a good source for write-ups on all things Pyro.  They also have a decent formula database.  The forum part is pretty much dead, but there are is a lot of historical info there, if you can sort through some of the old conversations and conflicts.  I've only seen a few people post there lately though.  I need to renew my subscription myself, it expired a few weeks ago, but I'm a bit short of funds right now.

Of course, this site is great too!  I started here and won't ever leave!

Chuck

Edited by cmjlab
Stupid fat fingers and a tiny little android
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you really want to get into this hobby, consider joining a regional club. I'm not sure where exactly the shoot site is, but the closest one that comes to mind is the New Hampshire Pyrotechnics Association.  https://nhpyrotechnics.org/  I know a few members, or former members, of that club and they all have glowing reviews.  

There are several pyrotechnic associations in USA! Western Pyrotechnics Assoc. has a spring week long event south of Vegas with manufacture and training on site, also they have Do-It south of Reno in autumn where people are helpful but it's really an event for people to make something that they have planned.

Most maker events are in the open so plan to need a shade tent, or make arrangements to share one. Some may have drop-offs by suppliers, some may have preferential rates at a particular hotel.

All the pyro associations will have a www!   Westernpyro.org among them. Finding a reliable ingredients supplier and a place to do testing are both early priorities.