APC Forum

Ti for "cold spark machines", is it useful for us?

dangerousamateur

I often come across Ti sold for these machines and wondered If it can be used in pyro. It seems to me that they really use Titanium which is heated up by an electrical heating element and then projected airborne by a blower.

The sparks are sometimes described as "cold", and "harmless", and indoor use is suggested.

That makes me wonder if that is really the Ti we use or is it something special?

Sometimes I wonder when guys post videos with Ti salutes going very near to people and a shower of sparks raining down... Don't these crazy guys at Valencia must have hundreds of little holes in their clothes?

A great question I have asked myself also. Bought a packet on AliExpress a few weeks ago to test out, unfortunately still on the slow boat from China. 

Those are FeTi or ferro-titanium alloy. It is typically comes in 70Ti:30Fe ratio. 

I think you are right. But the advertising mentions cold sparks. Does FeTi burn cold? What happens when it hits the carpet?

Does the Fe even make a difference in that matter?

Some pictures look rather dark, that seems to be FeTi but some also look brighter, like normal sponge Ti.

@AustralienPyromaniac:

Id be happy to read about your results :)

1 hour ago, dangerousamateur said:

I think you are right. But the advertising mentions cold sparks. Does FeTi burn cold? What happens when it hits the carpet?

Does the Fe even make a difference in that matter?

Some pictures look rather dark, that seems to be FeTi but some also look brighter, like normal sponge Ti.

@AustralienPyromaniac:

Id be happy to read about your results :)

I think the term “cold spark” refers to the ability of the machine to produce sparks without the aid of an open flame and not literally. In my experience it does not crackle as much as pure titanium when ignited. As per the color, i didn't notice any differences. Some told me that Ti is for silver and FeTi for blonde. 

Ive seen a video where a cold spark machine ignited decors of a wedding reception. 🫣

As others have said there is no such thing as a cold sparks. These can ignite and will ignite things without issues. 

It's not just titanium but an alloy with zirconium 50:50. Sometimes it can contain up to 80% Zr. It would surely work in stars but it may be too fine for salutes therefore the sparks won't last long.

Edited by a_bab

On 7/18/2024 at 9:48 AM, Pyrophoric30 said:

Ive seen a video where a cold spark machine ignited decors of a wedding reception. 🫣

OK, that sounds like it's useful :)

On 7/18/2024 at 9:48 AM, Pyrophoric30 said:

As per the color, i didn't notice any differences. Some told me that Ti is for silver and FeTi for blonde

I meant the color of the Ti particles.

8 hours ago, a_bab said:

It's not just titanium but an alloy with zirconium 50:50. Sometimes it can contain up to 80% Zr

That's interesting. Maybe it has some niche applications. Easily ignited (sensitivity?), nice sparks...

Sometime I'll get some just for the fun of experimenting with it.