APC Forum

I shoulda gone first

All10Fingers

So, normally id be pretty proud of myself after a successful shell. But after 30 minutes of pro made stuff, complete with whistles, and crackles, dragon eggs, and multi breaks filling up the sky. I felt kinda like a dweeb with my lame single break color ring. Not sure why mine got picked to be the finale ... Would of been way more impressive before all that 

Oh well, my blue came out looking better than anyone else's. And mine went waaaay higher than anything else there.

This was my first ever audience so I'm really just happy it didn't flowerpot rite in front of my boss. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It’s a journey. Enjoy it.  Nice shell sweet break.

PS: Don’t shoot them sideways :D

Edited by Richtee
  • Like 1

Take yourself to one of the Pyrotechnic associations/arts guilds in America and attend one of their make events, likely you will meet lots of friendly and generous people who also like fireworks!

Professional shows, if they use ring shells, will fire them in groups because you have no idea where the ring will be orientated as it bursts. A volley of ring shells fills more sky and some of them will look like rings even if some look like lines.

Consider making small shells and using them as insert in a big shell. 

I managed to cram about 35 3" inserts inside a 16" shell, two layers if stars (red and silver) made an OK shell, THEN the inserts filled the sky! Much satisfaction.  youtube.com/watch?v=z9XNUnbxo50 Have to admit that it was rather expensive for a single 16"!

Damn that sounds like a big ass shel. What do you even launch that from?. I've never done "inserts" yet as I'm barely figuring out plain colors. Well, colors I have down pretty solid. It's priming them that Im still working out. But I hope to maybe try some go getter type inserts maybe in the next couple builds. 

As for events. I live out in the middle of nowhere in a rather low income and under developed area. Nothing of that sort has ever happened anywhere close.i did once talk to some guy making fireworks at an Indian reservation, but he wasn't exactly what you'd call "friendly". 

Basically what I'm saying is this website is the only resource I have to anything pyro related or pyro adjacent 

2 hours ago, Arthur said:

Take yourself to one of the Pyrotechnic associations/arts guilds in America and attend one of their make events, likely you will meet lots of friendly and generous people who also like fireworks!

Professional shows, if they use ring shells, will fire them in groups because you have no idea where the ring will be orientated as it bursts. A volley of ring shells fills more sky and some of them will look like rings even if some look like lines.

I managed to cram about 35 3" inserts inside a 16" shell, two layers if stars (red and silver) made an OK shell, THEN the inserts filled the sky! Much satisfaction.  youtube.com/watch?v=z9XNUnbxo50 Have to admit that it was rather expensive for a single 16"!

Wow! That was pretty incredible. Like a finale all in one shell.

5 hours ago, Arthur said:

The link you pasted is not working.

Very nice shell All10Fingers and congratulations.

So far I only have prepared only one shell in shell

Here is the video footage

• Like 1

That was beautiful Z. Arty, I also was not able to view your video.

Do you guys think I'm shooting mine too high? My spolets are 1/4 inch by 3.5 inch with about 6 grams of BP hammered down in 10 increments(roughly). It comes out to a pretty consistent 5 seconds burn time. 

The shells are 4inch cans 5inches tall and weigh 1.5lbs. I launch em with 45 grams of my coarsest corned bp. And I thought everything was as it should.  But over the last couple days I've seen lots of fireworks and non have gone even half as high as mine...

Should mine be lower? And if so, should I adjust the timing or use less lift? Or am I fine and everyone else is just pinching pennies and selling under lifted stuff? If I'm putting shells in shells I feel like you'd want that first break to happen in the stratosphere for safety to both people and property

You dont need to lower lift if it goes high thats fine but it shouldn't be lower lifted for personal as well as spectators safety and safety for flammable materials present on ground too.