APC Forum

Texas license requirements? First post

NDJDNJ

Good afternoon, everyone! 

This is my first post so hopefully it’s okay for this section. I tried to use the search function but could not find what I needed. We do a fairly small fireworks show every 4th of July. It’s mostly family and friends, around 50 people. We’ve talked for years about one of us getting our pyrotechnics license to create a better show. 

I’ve been looking around online at the testing and licensing for Texas but there are a few options and I’m just not sure which one I need. I’m not looking to do this professionally. I simply want to manufacture fireworks for private events. Would I need just a pyro firework operators license? Also, is there a mandatory insurance requirement if I’m not doing it professionally? TIA! 

Remember that there is a tremendous learning curve to be able to make good, effective fireworks. Also it's NOT an instant process.

I made this www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9XNUnbxo50  in at a licensed event in Nevada 2017. BUT to make one device lasting 20 seconds I spent lots of money AND three days of bench time getting the stars, inserts and powders from commercial packages to properly placed inserts. Unless you have experience it will take you longer, then you have to work out if it's worth the time. Getting all the stars made from ingredients could well be a week's work.

Skylighter's  www offers pyro club resources which lists Pyro Artists in Texas.