APC Forum

More confinement or more booster

Pyrophoric30

Hello pyros!  What contributes to a better break. Better confinement or more booster. Im looking forward to make my stars travel more further because i use streamer comps. Also, i cannot wrap/paste my shell anymore as it limits to the diameter of the bore. More confinement will make it a snug fit to the mortar. 

You have to paste shells...it is mandatory and you cant avoid it if you are facing problem with mortor tube and shell fitting you might reduce shell hemisphere diameter.

You have to make hemisphere if you cant get desired width hemisphere. Or you have to change mortor tube which is costly option.

Better break depends not on single factor it depends on burst type, burst amount, burst strength, booster and its amount ,ratio of rice hulls/chaff/cottonseed to burst charge used, and shell pasting .

No of layers to be pasted ,shell pasting method and gum used for pasting.

Remember burst charge opens shell and throw star away and shell pasting opposes this phenomenon so pasting should be optimum which would be fixed by trial and error, too much or two less both dont work.

In Every shell stars arranged should complete entire shell and empty places is filled with tissue paper there should be no gap between stars.

Same thing is with burst too much burst and it creat difficulty when closing hemisphere together , too less will cause stars to move from its position.

I need you to focus on shell pasting for better break.

Here are some inputs on hemisphere size

3 to 3.5 inch hemisphere internal diameter 78 mm ID

5 inch-104mm

6inch-132mm

7inch-162mm

8inch-190mm

9&9.5 inch-216mm

12inch-266mm.

• Like 1

Thanks man. Well it is not that i dont paste my shell. I use gummed tape to wrap my shell. My only problem is that i cannot wrap my shell much more thicker because it will limit to the diameter of the mortar tube and will result in a snug fit. Does adding flash booster increase break? I use 70:30 kclo4:al for my 2 inch shell and properly confined. Only my 3inch shell has a problem with confinement. Maybe adding booster will give stronger break? 1gram of flash powder per inch of diameter

Booster works at some level if shell casing strength (pasted layers) is above than booster strength as you increase booster you will achieve strong burst until booster strength is equal to outer casing strength of shell (pasted layers)

Beyond that if booster strength is more than shell casing strength this further dont help in shell burst. For this you have to paste more layers.

You should try out practically and experiment with it.

Edited by Zumber