APC Forum

Education

gifovaco

Read Blackman's Chemistry . Get comfortable with general lab calculations. Atkin's Physical Chemistry (Quanta, Matter and Change). Read Clayden's Organic Chemistry. Read Housecroft and Sharpe's Inorganic Chemistry. AND Molecular Geometry by Dr. Alison Rodger. Read & If you read and understand these, you will have theoretical knowledge that matches a well-read undergraduate closing in on their graduation. And 'Boom' safely....:)

So in replying to myself to benefit everyone. How do you set up a place so you ♫ Feel Like We Do ♫ ???...

Un-F ya head from that 'Kewl' sht... That stupid reckless invites energetics to say "Hi" ...and not just for you....

A Stainless Steel table, grounded to NEC code standards

A Flush basin, circulating is best

Fume hood for sure, again non electrically connected to the vane drive

A cooling circulator... For example, a mixture of 60% ethylene glycol and 40% water freezes at −45 °C (−49 °F), or whatever...

Know what ya Stoichiometrics tell ya

Ask yourself..."Would I build this if I wanted tomorrow for all of everything I love for sure ???" If YES... Sail on Sailor....

I'm all for everyone to dig deeper into the existing literature to establish a better understanding of the underlying phenomena.

However, the books you recommend are in my opinion too orientated in general chemistry to create interest to most fireworkers. Maybe you were just focusing on chemistry? I'm thinking people are here for energetics and fireworks.

I would rather recommend starting with the following books to get more insight in our side of chemistry:

• Pyrotechnic Chemistry (from Journal of Pyrotechnics Inc., the pdf is free on their site!)
  • Chemistry of Pyrotechnics (John A. Conkling)
  • Military and Civilian Pyrotechnics (Herbert Ellern)
  • Chemistry of Powder and Explosives (Tenney L. Davis)
  • Thanks 2

I, not me, just desire...for knowledge to grow...ALL the above... Personally I have been intrigued to make the smallest thing with biggest BOOM...BUT, here we go with brisance vs deflagration . I have to pull my head in and ask myself..."Do I wanna 'feel' it...or get broke by it....I suppose distance matters...

On 6/13/2024 at 2:58 AM, Crazy Swede said:

I'm all for everyone to dig deeper into the existing literature to establish a better understanding of the underlying phenomena.

However, the books you recommend are in my opinion too orientated in general chemistry to create interest to most fireworkers. Maybe you were just focusing on chemistry? I'm thinking people are here for energetics and fireworks.

I would rather recommend starting with the following books to get more insight in our side of chemistry:

• Pyrotechnic Chemistry (from Journal of Pyrotechnics Inc., the pdf is free on their site!)
  • Chemistry of Pyrotechnics (John A. Conkling)
  • Military and Civilian Pyrotechnics (Herbert Ellern)
  • Chemistry of Powder and Explosives (Tenney L. Davis)

I appreciate the hobby., and enjoy the 'Non Lethal' outcome... once I proved that by setting some decaborane in a golf hole, put a seep of nitric to it... and ran off. No No No .. reminded me of astrolite... Not my goal... but I was young... I appreciate your literature on the topic. I grew up with 'black cats' and Estes model rockets... more than that... because I know it, so I don't go it...

• Mumbles locked this topic